Page 1 of 2
Okay, I already have an amp but I can only spend $100 on the guitar. Not even $150. I know it sucks. But, Squier by Fender Bullet Electric Guitar with Tremolo hey, its a Christmas present so I should be grateful.

Okay, I want one of these 3 but not sure which one I want. Can you guys tell me the pros and cons of both.

Dean EVO XM http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-EVO-XM-Electric-Guitar-519795-i1167516.gc

Squier by Fender Bullet http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Bullet-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-104494315-i1385540.gc

-or-

Epiphone LP Junior http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-LP-Junior-Special-Electric-Guitar-101691038-i1150104.gc

I do not like metal at all. I want to actually here the diffrent notes. I like clean sounds, but I also like good distortion.

I am also a begineer so keep that in mind please. Thanks! Im getting the guitar this week so please convince me!

Unless you can find a guitar for exactly $100 thats good AND not used on ebay, then you can tell me.

Again I would like the Pros and Cons.
Every Time You Fail, You Are Getting Closer To Success.
Quote by budget bassist
get the squier...

why?

see where Im going with this? I dont just one a 1 or 2 word answer I acutally sentences telling me why its good and bad.
Pros for all of them- Cheap, Good Beginner Guitars

Cons For All Of Them- Usually made of bad woods, parts may need replaced later in its life
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
My brother got a really good guitar for only like 180 maybe 200 at most. It was an ancient phoenix brand guitar. Kind of like a mix between an sg and a strat. ANy way its great and pretty versatile for its age.(Company died out right at 1980 I think) so you should just look around and ask people in the store
Quote by buddyboombotz
My brother got a really good guitar for only like 180 maybe 200 at most. It was an ancient phoenix brand guitar. Kind of like a mix between an sg and a strat. ANy way its great and pretty versatile for its age.(Company died out right at 1980 I think) so you should just look around and ask people in the store

Thanks, that sounds preety good for the future but for right now, I would appreciate it if you would answer the question.
you wont get any guitar for 100 bucks that is even close to good.I had a squier strat and it was good for its price but if u want to get your moneys worth i would suggest saving until u can get more money for a better guitar.FIGHT THE TEMPTATION!!!
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Quote by brooklynsoulja1
you wont get any guitar for 100 bucks that is even close to good.I had a squier strat and it was good for its price but if u want to get your moneys worth i would suggest saving until u can get more money for a better guitar.FIGHT THE TEMPTATION!!!

No. THANK YOU COME AGAIN!
Ok the squire is pure crap. Everytime I pick one up I suddenly feel the urge not to play the guitar. Get a simple guitar. Like one without a locking tremolo. My first guitar had that and since I was a newb I broke strings routinely every other day. Its a pain to restring a floyde rose tremolo so I got rid of that. I guess for a beginner get one that just has the necessities.( One volume knob, one tone.) I cant really name a beginner guitar. Just look around your music store.
i say the squire as its made out of basswood they are awesome mod projects to
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
For $100, the best thing you'll get is the Squier, new at least. I'd recommend straying away from that Dean, but it's your decision. The single coils on the Strat will more suit your style. Are you sure you can't convince your parents to bump it up any? I've seen MIM Fenders on craigslist for $200, you could probably even find a much better used guitar on there.

80th best UGer
I suggest you take the Dean... It´s the one that looks the best from this page, and you will get a heavier tone that the one of the squier and a lot more versatility than the epi!
Hope I helped!
Keep On Rockin´

Gear:
Ibanez GRG-270
Roland Cube30X
Zoom G2.1u
I recommend the Jay Turser JT-300.......but that's just my suggestion.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Hmm, good stuff people. Im just leaning twards the dean because I like the crisp sound. Not to crazy about the finish but Im sure there are better looking ones in the shop...can anyone tell me any cons about the Dean?
i have a dean vendetta xm, just like the evo but different shape. i think its great. for a 100-120 buck guitar i think the dean provides the best value

cons for the dean: quality the input jack was loose when i got it and the tone knob can be easily removed and put back on. minor blemish up by the headstock
Quote by Fudgepuppy
why?

see where Im going with this? I dont just one a 1 or 2 word answer I acutally sentences telling me why its good and bad.

Get a Squier without a Tremolo bar. Tuning is a bitch with tremolo bars, and cheap trem systems hardly stay in tune.

Give me a minute, I'll find you a Squier with a good bridge.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I'd go for the Squier. That was my first guitar. It will help you determine if you want to stick with guitar. I had my squier for about 5 years until I bought a better guitar. Wouldn't put any money into it though IMO. If you still like playing but get tired of the squier sound head to GC for a couple hours and play some guitars they have there. Thats what I used to do till i had saved up enough money for my new one.
Quote by boomersooner14
i have a dean vendetta xm, just like the evo but different shape. i think its great. for a 100-120 buck guitar i think the dean provides the best value

cons for the dean: quality the input jack was loose when i got it and the tone knob can be easily removed and put back on. minor blemish up by the headstock

sounsd really gud
s
Both the Dean and the Squire are pure crap imho...the Squires in particular have nothing but problems with regard to intonation, stable tuning, etc, while the Deans are just style over substance, with god-awful frets/dressing, and crappy electronics...these might as well be toy guitars. I would go with the Epi LP Jr hands down over these other 2.

The LP should have a mahogany body and neck. Basswood as a tonewood is dead sounding...like an oatmeal box.

Epiphones in general have a much better build quality in their respective price points than just about anything else out there. Their stock PU should be adequate and can easily be upgraded down the road if desired. Stick a used X2N or 490 or ??? in there and suddenly you have real TONE.

Avoid Squire and Dean like the plague....
^
aww, well thats a real downer.
Quote by mustangrobert13
For $100, the best thing you'll get is the Squier, new at least. I'd recommend straying away from that Dean, but it's your decision. The single coils on the Strat will more suit your style. Are you sure you can't convince your parents to bump it up any? I've seen MIM Fenders on craigslist for $200, you could probably even find a much better used guitar on there.

what this guy said
Why is getting a guitar so damn hard >.<
Because, I hate to say it but $100 really isnt enough for a guitar. You should be looking $150-200 minimum.

On topic, I'd say the Epi LP, for all of the aforementioned reasons.
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by Rolling_man
Because, I hate to say it but $100 really isnt enough for a guitar. You should be looking $150-200 minimum.

On topic, I'd say the Epi LP, for all of the aforementioned reasons.

Well everything but the squier costed like 200+ but its on sale cause of holidays....plus I got a coupon
It's hard to say which is better without playing them all next to each other yourself.

You can find some OK starter guitars, but you'd have to go through a rack of them picking them all out. At that price, construction will not be great and materials will be poor so I suggest getting a Yamaha Pacifica, they're better made and you get the best of both worlds with the humbucker at the bridge, coil tap and single coils.
Last edited by ze monsta at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by ze monsta
It's hard to say which is better without playing them all next to each other yourself.

You can find some OK starter guitars, but you'd have to go through a rack of them picking them all out. At that price, construction will not be great and materials will be poor so I suggest getting a Yamaha Pacifica, they're better made and you get the best of both worlds with the humbucker at the bridge, coil tap and single coils.

+1!

The Pacifica 112J (must be 112 or higher, not 012) is a great starter guitar. I got my brother's old one with the maple fretboard and damn, with a good setup, I like it a lot.
^Cool, but thats over budget
I have the answer for you. Yiu say you like clean and a bit of distortion. You should be looking at the pick ups. Cheap gutars with single coils are usualy cr*p for tone. Cheap guitars with humbuckers will have a nicer tone, and itl be less obvious that the guitar is cheap. Id go for the dean with this in mind.

.....................althow single coils are better for tapping, but considdering your a beginer and mainly into cleans i dont think this will really be a valid point

good luck anyway!
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Your amp determines your quality more then your guitar in my opinion. All guitars under the price of at least i would say 6-700 dollars will absolutely suck. Therefore, just follow what everyone else does and take a squier. after a year or two bump up o an amercan strat. get a new amp. when you get a band get a gibson.

it the circleeeeeeeeeeee of lifeeeeeeeeeeee.

Btw, get it used. saves about 50$ from 100 dollars andif that thing was smashed on stage the sound couldnt sound any worse
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Quote by BelowZero
Your amp determines your quality more then your guitar in my opinion. All guitars under the price of at least i would say 6-700 dollars will absolutely suck. Therefore, just follow what everyone else does and take a squier. after a year or two bump up o an amercan strat. get a new amp. when you get a band get a gibson.

it the circleeeeeeeeeeee of lifeeeeeeeeeeee.

Btw, get it used. saves about 50$ from 100 dollars andif that thing was smashed on stage the sound couldnt sound any worse

that made me lol
Quote by maxtheaxe
Basswood as a tonewood is dead sounding...like an oatmeal box.

No. Don't be an Idiot.

Basswood > Crappy mahogony/alder
Crappy basswood < Mahogony/Alder

Comparing the wood of a low end guitar with the woods in a high end guitar is just stupid, because no matter what wood it is, if its low quality it wont sound good. High Quality basswood is a great tonewood, Just like high quality mahogony is.

TS, if you arent willing to save up more money then i think your best bet would be to try them all out at the store. The quality of all three will be more or less the same, so it comes down to playability.
I dont know why you got the amp first, but thats beside the point, I would definitely go with the Squire, it has a more bluesy tone than a LP, if thats the most your parents will get you, either chip in some money, or maybe ask other realatives of yours for some cash to get a better one, if not, get the Squire, just without the tremolo bar, their a pain, i would just get a pedal instead, if you have to have one.
Page 1 of 2