I'll try and make this short...

A long time ago, I made this thing:

More recently, I wrote a quick algorithm that would generate every possible 7 note scale and dump them into a text file in a format that the above program could use.

So what I ended up with was this program that generates fretboard diagrams for every 7 note scale in any key. Also, the 'Harmonize Current Scale' from the old project partly works with all the new scales. It'll build triads or sevenths off every scale degree. It won't recognize anything really strange though.

Eventually, I'd want the user to be able to search for specific scales, let's say, every scale with a b6 and a major third, or every scale that contains notes that the user specifies.

Anyway, there are a couple problems with it and I have a couple questions.

1. I realize the enharmonics are all f*cked up, but I couldn't think of an easy way to solve the problem so I didn't bother.

2. Out of the 462 possible seven note scales, I recognize a small percent of them, so for now most of them are named 'Scale x'. How would one go about naming all of these scales? Alot of them are pretty strange and chromatic in nature.

If anyone is interested in this, or wants to help me try and name some of these, I'll attach the program and the list of scales as is. I also may or may not continue working on this depending on how bored I am, and how useful you guys deem it to be.

Errr, I also have a list of all the 5 note scales, but they don't work with the program as of yet.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Dec 2, 2008,
If you get a Guitar Grimoire book, either the chords and voicings or scales one; that has a list of all possible scales in the back.
Extract both the .exe and the text file to the same location before trying to run it.

I'll explain how the text file works and how to rename the scales in a second.
Attachments:
scales.zip
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
Quote by ramm_ty
I'll try and make this short...

A long time ago, I made this thing:

More recently, I wrote a quick algorithm that would generate every possible 7 note scale and dump them into a text file in a format that the above program could use.

So what I ended up with was this program that generates fretboard diagrams for every 7 note scale in any key. Also, the 'Harmonize Current Scale' from the old project partly works with all the new scales. It'll build triads or sevenths off every scale degree. It won't recognize anything really strange though.

Eventually, I'd want the user to be able to search for specific scales, let's say, every scale with a b6 and a major third, or every scale that contains notes that the user specifies.

Anyway, there are a couple problems with it and I have a couple questions.

1. I realize the enharmonics are all f*cked up, but I couldn't think of an easy way to solve the problem so I didn't bother.

2. Out of the 462 possible seven note scales, I recognize a small percent of them, so for now most of them are named 'Scale x'. How would one go about naming all of these scales? Alot of them are pretty strange and chromatic in nature.

If anyone is interested in this, or wants to help me try and name some of these, I'll attach the program and the list of scales as is. I also may or may not continue working on this depending on how bored I am, and how useful you guys deem it to be.

Errr, I also have a list of all the 5 note scales, but they don't work with the program as of yet.
Hey, respect enharmonics. There's alot of difference between a C and a B#.

Otherwise interesting program. Downloaded and using it now.

EDIT: Theres a memory leak bug. The program seems to shut down, but it's still using memory and resources. Otherwise, works perfectly.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by ehlert99
Visual Basic I take it? Nice work
Yeah, VB.

Fixing the enharmonics would require huge amounts of work, I think. I wish I could

Is the program actually working for anyone? Because I just realized I forgot to put the fretboard image in the .zip file. Does it magically appear anyway?

Oh, and to rename the scales:
Let's say you've discovered scale 123 is actually Locrian #2...open the .txt file and find scale 123. It should be inside quotations. Replace Scale 123 with Locrian #2 and save. Make sure the name is still surrounded by quotes. It'll be updated the next time you open the program.

And for anybody who cares, those 6 numbers beside the scale names denote how many semitones the remaining 6 notes are away from the root.

Quote by demonofthenight
EDIT: Theres a memory leak bug. The program seems to shut down, but it's still using memory and resources. Otherwise, works perfectly.
Gehhhh. My apologies, I think I know why that is. I'll fix it and upload a new version.
Quote by TGautier13
Goodness gracious. Certianly looks like a usefull resource!

Take me ages to actually rename scales..

The fretboard image is working fine!

The only one ive found so far, scale 334 is Harmonic Major.

Fantastic resource.
Last edited by Galvanise69 at Dec 2, 2008,
I took the liberty of creating some of the more commonly used scales/modes. Just copy/paste them into the .txt file.

"Chromatic",1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
"Major",2,4,5,7,9,11
"Natural Minor",2,3,5,7,8,10
"Harmonic Minor",2,3,5,6,8,11
"Melodic Minor",2,3,5,7,9,11
"Ionian",2,4,5,7,9,11
"Dorian",2,3,5,7,9,10
"Phrygian",1,3,5,7,8,10
"Lydian",2,4,6,7,9,11
"Mixolydian",2,4,5,7,9,10
"Aeolian",2,3,5,7,8,10
"Locrian",1,3,5,6,8,10
"Whole Tone",2,4,6,8,10
"Diminished (Whole-half)",2-3-5-6-8-9-11
"Diminished (half-whole)",1,3,4,6,7,9,10

I'll add the pentatonic scales as well as the modes of the harmonic and melodic minor scales shortly.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I took the liberty of creating some of the more commonly used scales/modes. Just copy/paste them into the .txt file.

"Chromatic",1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
"Major",2,4,5,7,9,11
"Natural Minor",2,3,5,7,8,10
"Harmonic Minor",2,3,5,6,8,11
"Melodic Minor",2,3,5,7,9,11
"Ionian",2,4,5,7,9,11
"Dorian",2,3,5,7,9,10
"Phrygian",1,3,5,7,8,10
"Lydian",2,4,6,7,9,11
"Mixolydian",2,4,5,7,9,10
"Aeolian",2,3,5,7,8,10
"Locrian",1,3,5,6,8,10
"Whole Tone",2,4,6,8,10
"Diminished (Whole-half)",2-3-5-6-8-9-11
"Diminished (half-whole)",1,3,4,6,7,9,10

I'll add the pentatonic scales as well as the modes of the harmonic and melodic minor scales shortly.
That's amazing, thank you sir. But I don't think anything other than a 7 note scale will work. Anything over or under 7 notes will probably either crash the program or not work properly. The program is really based on a 7 note system. But I can and will add in capability for pentatonic and octatonic (and whatever else) scales. Should be pretty easy.

EDIT: I uploaded a new version with an EXIT button. Should fix the memory leak problem. Use the 'EXIT' button rather than top-right X thingy ( I can't remember what it's called).

Quote by Galvanise69
The only one ive found so far, scale 334 is Harmonic Major.
I was wondering what that one was, it was in between a bunch that I did know. Thank you.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, the program won't even run if any of the scales have more or less than 7 notes. And make sure there's not a blank line at the end of the text file, cause that'll set it off too. HURRAH FOR NOT BOTHERING WITH ERROR-CHECKING!
Quote by TGautier13
^if you notice that the thread is 8 years old, please don't bump it.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here