Im assuming this has been asked a thousand times before, but for recording and playing shows, wat is considered the best brand amp for a nasty metal tone? ( and for a reasonable price)
definite price range? What tone are you going after? Dark? Mid-heavy? bright? name a couple bands that you want to have a comparable tone to.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You need to be more specific about the tone you are after.

We also need a budget - what you may consider a reasonable price may be outlandishly expensive by another person's definition.
I vote for Soldano. The SLO's are f***ing mean.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
price range i cant afford anything too extreme, something at or under $800, tone wise i just want a acceptable metal tone, guess for band examples id say rob arnold from chimaira style, or ive always like newer killswitch tone (I know those are not similar in the least), mostly ive heard that peavey is the way to go
IMO, Peavey 6505/5150 (they're the same amp) but I'd suggest looking used.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah you could probably get a used 6505 or 5150 combo for that. Check ebay and craigslist.

Everybody has their own taste in tone though so I would look into Peavey XXX, or and Ultra.

If you can find a mesa boogie in your price range on craigslist I would jump on it.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2