I am looking into buying one of these two set ups. My budget is about 500-600 dollars.
I would like to get a tube amp because I have heard they sound warmer. My band plays mostly alternative rock and some new metal but nothing insane. I use a boss pedal board when I play. After searching threads I have found a lot of negatives on the marshall but fairly good reactions to the crate even though the marshall is much more pricey. Anyways I was looking for some opinions on the amp and the cabinets or what cabinet would sound good with each amp..etc. I am also open to any other tube amps that I could find in this price range that includes a cabinet. Thanks for any helpful advice.
Fender HSS Deluxe Special Edition
Scheckter C-1 classic
Orange rocker 30
A few boss pedals
Well, first off, the Marshall isn't tube. Second, can you buy used?

Edit: If not, you don't really need a halfstack (I only have one cause i found it used), so what about a Peavey ValveKing? The 112 model is 50 watts which is plenty loud, and it does alternative rock and some metal pretty well, I remember selling mine only because it didn't have the right gain I wanted (br00talz, really). Otherwise, it's good.
This is our last chance.
Last edited by dragxthexwaters at Dec 2, 2008,
so is your budget 500-600 for a head, or for a head + a cab?

you dont need a halfstack, a 30 watt tube combo would suffice
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The marshal is junk, the crate can do want you want, but if your focus is heavier stuff mostly then I'd probably consider something like the bugera or b-52 amps. A used f-30 or dc-3 (mesa) would be great for what you play. A used peavey ultra or XXX would work great as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
For alternative I'd think the V33H would be better than the MG but for metal I can't really recommend either. The V33 probably doesn't have the headroom that metal requires nor the gain...

Look into a Randall RG50TC, Bugera 333XL, and B-52 AT112. They all do metal reasonably well as well as alternative-type stuff.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Was looking to spend around 600 for the cabinet and head.., but I would like to have a tube amp if it is possible. We play in some pretty big bars so I think a half stack would suit me better.
Scheckter C-1 classic
Orange rocker 30
A few boss pedals
A 100 watt tube amp is only 3 db louder than a 50 watt tube amp which is only 3db louder than a 25 watt tube amp. I understand what you're saying, but a 30-50 watt amp can usually cut it and there aren't any good halfstacks in your price range.
I use the boss metal zone pedal for my heavier distortion..how would that sound with the crate?

when i say metal I am talking about stuff like seether, three days grace...you know weak ass metal like that....
Scheckter C-1 classic
Orange rocker 30
A few boss pedals
Last edited by josh3111 at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by josh3111
I use the boss metal zone pedal for my heavier distortion..how would that sound with the crate?

go for an amp that's voiced for metal and you won't have to use the metal zone. you'll sound much better with natural distortion.
edit:
to answer your question, it would sound okay, but see above for a much better sound.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
get...rid...of...it, and replace. Better yet, get an amp that suits your distortion needs. So you have about $500-600 and need an amp that can do some different stuff. Well look at some used Mesa F-30's, Peavey Classic 30's (might not do modern so well), B-52's and if i missing anything, some one could add in.
Yeah, I'd just ditch that thing. Also, that isn't metal in the least, you had us all confused.

For that kind of stuff the crate would be awesome, though I'd go for the combo. Also look at the peavey classic 30 and classic 50. I still stand by my other suggestions as well.
a mesa f-30 will do all of that stuff pretty well. i friggin' love my f-30 - i do everything from ambient to rage to opeth (well kind of) on it. as a matter of fact, kevin saale recommended it to me and he is a genius. so get one already!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Yeah our band won't be busting out any all that remains any time soon.

The guy at my local music shop was going to give me a good deal on the v 4-12 cabinet with the crate head thats why i was asking about it. Brand new for 450 bucks....Is that cabinet worth a F***?
Scheckter C-1 classic
Orange rocker 30
A few boss pedals
It's not bad, but considering the V33 combo is like 250 then you might as well save the money, IMO. Or get an avatar cab with good speakers or a get a used cab or something.
I hav a similar situation as josh3111, only i play metal like all that remains, as i lay dying, bullet for my valentine, and some more classic metal like metallica and i use a Digitech RP90 foot pedal. i hav a small price range and need somethin decent. i played the crate flexwave 212 and thats been my favorite(in my price range) with out my pedal, but i also like the line 6 tube 212! that thing is sikk! i WAS lookin in2 the marshall half stack but after readin some comments i think a 212 would work fine. so now wut is my best bet in the under $500 category?
check out b-52
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
i'm gonna throw out some questions...who makes the b-52? is it tube or not? 112 or 212? any preset sounds(like line6 has 250 band created presets)? footswitch(not big deal)? and the big one...how much?! haha sorry 2 bombard u with the Q&A by the way
right now my buddy got a behringer bass amp 4free, its a 60watt, mayb a 112 or even a 15, i cant c the speaker but i plugged my pedal in2 it and ****ed with the settings 4 a bit and DAMN that thing is prolly almost as much as i need! mayb a little more power would b fun but it sounds sikk!
B-52 is tube, made by... you guessed it... B-52. No presets, only modeling amps have that. Footswitch is available. Both 1x12" and 2x12" are available. The 1x12" model is $550.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
B-52, Bugera, or a Modded ValveKing with an OD (like mine).

I'll sell you mine for $1500 , not a penny less though. PM me if your interested.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
ok, i did google it smart ass, and sorry, i thought b-52 was like a model name......i'm relativly new 2 the guitar world. i looked around and i like the modeling amps with presets like the line6 spider valve ($700 though) and the peavey vyper 212 also almost $700 and i hear the stock speakers r crap. i need somethin cheaper....i was looking at the crate flexwave 212 4 a while, like $380. any comments on those?
Bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Nick_Brown34
ok, i did google it smart ass, and sorry, i thought b-52 was like a model name......i'm relativly new 2 the guitar world. i looked around and i like the modeling amps with presets like the line6 spider valve ($700 though) and the peavey vyper 212 also almost $700 and i hear the stock speakers r crap. i need somethin cheaper....i was looking at the crate flexwave 212 4 a while, like $380. any comments on those?

i've learned that before i open my virtual mouth on here, it's always better to google first. so although he might've been a smart ass, guitar n00bz ask a lot of questions that could be quickly answered by the search bar.
what happened to your $600 budget?? whatever... for the price range you're looking at, check out a Peavey Valveking 112. I think they're a tad over $400. If you're feeling good, replace the speaker for an extra $100 and turn your good amp into a better-than-good amp.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
i've learned that before i open my virtual mouth on here, it's always better to google first. so although he might've been a smart ass, guitar n00bz ask a lot of questions that could be quickly answered by the search bar.
what happened to your $600 budget?? whatever... for the price range you're looking at, check out a Peavey Valveking 112. I think they're a tad over $400. If you're feeling good, replace the speaker for an extra $100 and turn your good amp into a better-than-good amp.

I got my 112 new for 350. Mine is modded with an Eminence Man O War which only cost 80 bucks. I got clips on my profile if your interested in hearing it's tonez

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
sorry but my computer is so slow its so unimanigable! so i'v learned 2 think ahead therefore i asked b4 i even TRIED 2 get my computer 2 find something on google! lol and i never had a "budget", i dont hav any $ saved up, i just need a good amp, cheap as soon as i can! haha plus my parents will freak if i spend $ on anything! but i NEED a decent amp. someone ONEBLACKENED said the Crate flexwave is "bad", y? keep in mind i am new lol i liked the sound on it and it has geat reviews. sure its not tube sound but......