Hey fellow bassists. Okay long story short over the summer I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both of my hands. And since then its gotten worse. I kept playing but not as much as I used to. I used to play That Was Just Your Life by Metallica, Bad Omen by Megadeth and even songs in my own band really well but now i cant play them that well anymore.

Anyway the question is do you think I should take a break for a little while? Like one or two weeks? the thing thats been preventing me from stopping is becasue well I love bass. alot. I use it to let out my anger and emotions because I have a hard time talking to people about my problems and I dont want to get rusty becasue im a decent bassist in my opinon, and another reason is I dont want to have my band take a break, we've been working hard to get originols so we can hit the studio before the end of the year and I dont want to get rusty and have to memorize half the matirial again.

So what do you think guys? Should I take a break, or keep going but tone it down a little? Sorry form my grammer if its bad in advance!
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
well I'm a bassist too so. I think you should take a break, like I don't think you should stop playing for 1-2 weeks straight, but play maybe like a couple of times a week
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

//Are you as think as i drunk you are?//

Quote by DrPants PhD

-Some pregnant teacher threw up on my sister, lawl.
OWNED
Quote by heavymetal31
well I'm a bassist too so. I think you should take a break, like I don't think you should stop playing for 1-2 weeks straight, but play maybe like a couple of times a week

that would be smarter. I feel kinda dumb for not thinking that.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Is playing bass what has caused your carpel tunnels? Because if so you could be playing with bad technique. Bad technique can cause a lot of problems such as this. I have dealt with carpel tunnels in my left hand from playing with bad technique in my early days and from using a computer too damn much. I really suggest getting a brace for your wrists and wearing it when you aren't playing bass. Also I suggest taking a look at your technique.
Maybe you should consult your Doctor about this, see what he thinks, see if he thinks the bass playing is what caused the carpel tunnel. If that's the case, you're going to need to change your technique, so you'd need to hire out a teacher I imagine.
If the doc says don't play, don't play.

You're probably making it inflame more even by just playing a little bit. It might be hard for you but just stop untill you get some sound medical advice.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Please see a Doctor again about this. CPS is nothing to fool about with and self treat. If you get into a good PT program with the right treatment through drugs, you can possibly avoid surgery.

As the regulars of the forum know, Mr. Tam had CPS surgery on both wrists. While the recovery and success rate is much better than it used to be, its still a very rough recovery. They normally don't do both wrists at the same time and you are looking at at least 4 - 6 months of recovery time total. During his recovery, he couldn't play drums, which just killed him emotionally, but it was better than not playing drums ever again.
Quote by Jiimy
Is playing bass what has caused your carpel tunnels? Because if so you could be playing with bad technique. Bad technique can cause a lot of problems such as this. I have dealt with carpel tunnels in my left hand from playing with bad technique in my early days and from using a computer too damn much. I really suggest getting a brace for your wrists and wearing it when you aren't playing bass. Also I suggest taking a look at your technique.

Yes it is. I just played for so long, (6-7 hours day) Bad technique Maybe, i dunno. My older brother said I dont have bad technique.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by anarkee
Please see a Doctor again about this. CPS is nothing to fool about with and self treat. If you get into a good PT program with the right treatment through drugs, you can possibly avoid surgery.

As the regulars of the forum know, Mr. Tam had CPS surgery on both wrists. While the recovery and success rate is much better than it used to be, its still a very rough recovery. They normally don't do both wrists at the same time and you are looking at at least 4 - 6 months of recovery time total. During his recovery, he couldn't play drums, which just killed him emotionally, but it was better than not playing drums ever again.

I was probaly going to talk to my parents about it. Yeah I know its not. the surgery is what id like to avoid at all costs. My dad showed me these: http://www.therapygloves.com/carpaltunnelsyndrome.html

my dad said theyd more or less relax my muscles making me able to play bass. (i'd ge the cut off gloves obviously)

I'd die if i couldent play that long.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
how do you get CTS?
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

//Are you as think as i drunk you are?//

Quote by DrPants PhD

-Some pregnant teacher threw up on my sister, lawl.
OWNED
Quote by heavymetal31
how do you get CTS?

Over the summer i had nothing better to then play lots and lots of bass. I mean almost everyday Id play 6-7 hours of straight playing. (mostly thrash metal) I just used my hands so much that eventually they got CPS becasue I used my hands alot over the summer.

EDIT: **** I misread the post. sorry bout that one.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at Dec 4, 2008,