Next year I'm going for my first year of highschool, and I'm doing course selections this january. I'm going to be taking Tech next year (Woodshop, I think. I don't get the details until january. will talk about it later) so I can develop some wood working skills (I've only worked with wood and powertools/tools once, which was last year when I built a rollercoaster). Anyways, how long does it take before one can make a decent guitar? I'd like to make at least 2 by the time I graduate.

So, my questions are:

1. How long does it take a first tiemr to build a guitar?

2. Is a guitar hard to build? (Body + body cavities only. Can't be bothered to build a neck as a beginner.)

3. How many trials did it take you to build a playable, comfortable guitar?

4. Which tools are needed, and how much does it cost, approximately?

Sorry for all the questions. Just really excited about this.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
What kind of guitar do you want to make, tele bodies are easy and cheap, flamed maple topped mahogany lp's are difficult and expensive.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by V.U.K
Next year I'm going for my first year of highschool, and I'm doing course selections this january. I'm going to be taking Tech next year (Woodshop, I think. I don't get the details until january. will talk about it later) so I can develop some wood working skills (I've only worked with wood and powertools/tools once, which was last year when I built a rollercoaster). Anyways, how long does it take before one can make a decent guitar? I'd like to make at least 2 by the time I graduate.

So, my questions are:

2. Is a guitar hard to build? (Body + body cavities only. Can't be bothered to build a neck as a beginner.)

Well, for one, A ROLLERCOASTER?! like a full-sized one?! lollercoaster... hahah

and now onto the questions.

I built a guitar (the way you've mentioned, body+cavities and bought neck/hw in approximately 3 weeks, having never used woodshop tools before.

It's really only as hard as you make it: If you're not confident in yourself you'll have a lot of trouble. Don't get cocky, measure thrice, cut once... but don't doubt your judgement.

For me, It took one trial, but I made sure I triple checked everything before i touched tools.

If you have access to a school woodshop, you'll have more than enough tools to build a guitar. If you think about it, Luthiers used to make guitars with nearly NO tools whatsoever. A basic list will include:
bandsaw, planer, assorted files, a drill (press if you have, otherwise it's possible to do without), and some common knowledge.

Cost is really in the eye of the beholder: If you've got money to throw around, it'll be cheap, but if you're in the hole (as a lot of us on here are ) then there are ways you can save money.

This Forum's a great tool to use for asking questions; there's plenty of experience between us all. When you're ready to commit to a build, start a thread and we'll be glad to help you, so long as you don't act like an asshole

hope that helped
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by evilbeaver22
What kind of guitar do you want to make, tele bodies are easy and cheap, flamed maple topped mahogany lp's are difficult and expensive.

One will be a super strat HSH config guitar, and the other will be an explorer of some sort. Most probably the Peavey type.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K

So, my questions are:

1. It depends how fast you work and how much effort you put into it.
2. It's pretty much like any other fine woodworking if you have the skills it's not so hard but if you don't you'll probably find it hard. A neck isn't any harder to build then the body just get a preslotted fingerboard.
3. My first guitar was great but my dad (who has taught me tons of woodworking) helped me alot with the first.
4. Cost? to build the guitar? if your on a budget for parts and wood you could do it for less than $200 and probably as low as $100. For tools the best tool there is is a good plunge router that accepts 1/2" shank bits with some different bits. With the router you can rout cavities and if you realize how much other stuff the router can do with simple jigs you can joint and thickness wood too, you can also rout the body shape with it after it is rough cut it is kind of risky though so I don't suggest it.