So I'm thinking of buying a 6 string, but I'm not into the high C thing. I wanna restring it so the tuning is F#-B-E-A-D-G. Bad Idea? Yes? No? I think it could be done with some nut work, but anyone know where I could find a good string for the low F#? Thanks in advance. I know, I'm lookin' at a lot of basses. ^_^
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Captain Insano
Honestly, unless you have an 18" speaker, it not going to sound that great.

I agree, smaller speakers cannot handle the awesomeness that is the low F#. It can be done though, i've heard it in a song setting by a guy on talkbass, its pretty cool.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
There are plenty of 15's these days that can handle a low F# frequency-wise, no need to get down to the awesome of an 18 (an 18 needs a massive cabinet to work properly tonally).
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
22" ftw.

you need some depth to do that proper.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
22" ftw.

you need some depth to do that proper.

Are you suggesting the el whappo grande? I thought it was 21". Either way, it'll work for the F#, though it probably wont work out too well with your wallet.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Quote by pedalguy1
Are you suggesting the el whappo grande? I thought it was 21". Either way, it'll work for the F#, though it probably wont work out too well with your wallet.

um... I thought there was a 22?

eh. 21 is just as fun.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You can buy the Warwick Dark Lord string set which has an F# but they are pretty expensive.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I'm just asking out of curiosity, but what will the F# offer you? I mean the economy of movement could be useful but imagine ever playing low enough to need it. Unless you're in like...a ridiculously heavy metal band. >_>
F#... we have made our master's call. Please, feel free to search bar the subject. Having played a 35" scale with an F# string gauged at .175", I tell you it's a gimmick and is all but completely unusable in the vast majority of everything. It's "Hey, boom!" instead of anything musically useful.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Man I'm reminded of that bassist with the stupid name who played in a ridiculously low tuning on a 9 string that you insulted with every waking breath. I loved when he actually came to the forum.

I hope that happens again.
Yeah, I went a bit overboard assuming he'd never see it, and felt like a bit of an idiot with my classless intensity when it did happen. However I agree - I recall the last question I asked him was how exactly he could get the F# and C# fundamental out of his 510 cabinet, which he said he could.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
"I can" is a rather exact answer. What was his name? I remember X3 or something like that.

But yeah on topic I just can't see a low F# being useful, where as a high C I can see being very useful. What is it you have against the high C, op?
I will not say the name.

I can see an F# being used on an 8-string - B to F so you have octaves on the top and bottom strings, then an extra low F# to be a jerk to go along with your jerky 8-string.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I believe Meshuggah play in F#, or at least somewhere around there.
Fler Ismaskiner!
But the bass is tuned to the same octave as the guitar.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
the bassist at my church has a bass like this but its a low F not F# and it actually comes out clear. he had a traban and thats all i know
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by Cody_Grey102
So I'm thinking of buying a 6 string, but I'm not into the high C thing. I wanna restring it so the tuning is F#-B-E-A-D-G. Bad Idea? Yes? No? I think it could be done with some nut work, but anyone know where I could find a good string for the low F#? Thanks in advance. I know, I'm lookin' at a lot of basses. ^_^

Hey I posted this same thread a few months ago ! I think it is a good idea, if you play metal and want to sound BÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but not much else.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I do a lot of tapping and piano-type compositions, but I don't own nor can I play piano, so that's why this is being done, lol. It's more for the effect of the low notes rather than the musicality. Get what I'm saying now?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Not only has the speaker got to handle it the amp has to be up to the job as well assuming that this is F# below low B.
It is the low notes that tax a bass amp as well as the speaker, the smaller the amp the more likely to clip and damage your speakers at such a low frequency.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn