Ok. So I finally got this Floyd Rose Tremolo in tune, so I bolted down the top locks, and tried fine tuning. Everytime I fine tune all the way to the top, it knocks the others out of tune. How do i fix this problem? So close, yet so far.
Floyds are meant to be tuned once, then left alone.
So in order to get it perfect, it's going to take a very long time.
I remember reading it takes close to 4 hours to get it perfect.
Quote by Mecler
Floyds are meant to be tuned once, then left alone.
So in order to get it perfect, it's going to take a very long time.
I remember reading it takes close to 4 hours to get it perfect.

four hours? dude i have gotten mine set beautifully in about 20 minutes of hardcore tuning.

do you know how to tune a floating bridge? it is gnna take some patience
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
technically you can never get it perfect because the B string throws everything out of whack.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
technically you can never get it perfect because the B string throws everything out of whack.

I refuse to believe that without proof or a reference.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by ilovemySG
four hours? dude i have gotten mine set beautifully in about 20 minutes of hardcore tuning.

exactly what i was thinking....it doesnt take thattttt long
Quote by ilovemySG

what this guy said...

just set, leave it. if it goes out... hopefully fine tuning can take care of it. make sure your strings are stretched out before tuning it too. that helps.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
i think the issue is really getting everything in tune and setup right the first time. (that may take hours) but once its right they can be reasonable to work with. make sure when u put your strings on u stretch and bend them so they do detune after they are locked. some cheaper non licensed floyds always just suck tho
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
I refuse to believe that without proof or a reference.

straight from eddie van halen himself.

durring an interview he was talking about how the guitar is a flawed instrument because of the B string.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
It's an Ibanez RG Series.
I have it tuned perfectly before I lock it at the top and go to fine tuning.
It just seems I can't get it in tune perfectly when I try to fine tune.
Quote by hotdog_warmcat
what this guy said...

just set, leave it. if it goes out... hopefully fine tuning can take care of it. make sure your strings are stretched out before tuning it too. that helps.

This
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Like maiden_mexico said, you can never get it perfect. Every time you adjust the tension of (tune) one string, it pulls or loosens the whole bridge a little bit, throwing the others out of tune. As for me, it takes me about 10 mins to get it tuned up perfectly, and I only have a licensed one.
yeah, whats your actual floyd model?

if you didnt stretch them, stretch them now ALOT so it sounds like a 5 year old met jm root and they tuned it together, yeah, that low.
then tune it up WITHOUT

WITHOUT...

the bridge locked down, with your big tuners at the headstock, and repeat until they get pretty damn close. but DONT TUNE STRAIGHT DOWN LIKE EADGBE
you wanna keep tension level throughout the bridge
so..

LOW E
HIGH E
B
A
D
G

*thats the order you tune your strings, repeat that process as much as you can, then when its really close,, do it again. that order could be debated slighty, but i dont care.

then lock it all down and let it sit. come back in an hour ( reading the sex thread in the meantime?) and repeat the process.

**** my life, the string order is EEBAGD, typo
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Last edited by ilovemySG at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by maiden_mexico
straight from eddie van halen himself.

durring an interview he was talking about how the guitar is a flawed instrument because of the B string.

A lot of guitarists get along fine in standard while using a Floyd, and in that interview Eddie was also talking about tuning down to make major chords sound less annoying when strummed with distortion and such, not just the tuning of the guitar in general. And EVH isnt exactly a scientest, now is he?

TS, put something flat like a spoons handel under the bridge while your tuning, seems to help me. There are a few videos on youtube that show you little tricks that should help.
Quote by Tubyboulin
A lot of guitarists get along fine in standard while using a Floyd, and in that interview Eddie was also talking about tuning down to make major chords sound less annoying when strummed with distortion and such, not just the tuning of the guitar in general. And EVH isnt exactly a scientest, now is he?

TS, put something flat like a spoons handel under the bridge while your tuning, seems to help me. There are a few videos on youtube that show you little tricks that should help.

im refering to a different interview. he may not be a scientist, but he does know a thing or two about guitars.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Ya, it is an Edge III, but if it's new it should work fine.

Anyway, I suggest leaving the locking nut off for a couple of days so they really are stretched, and then tune + clamp + finetune.