okay, well I've tried a lot of things to make my playing better, and I'm not that bad of a player.The one thing that bugs the heck out of me is that sometimes when i play notes, other strings (non fretted strings) get hit. I really think its the way i play, i usually bar my index finger a lot, especially when i do hammer on's and pull off's. its a habit I've gotten into and I don't think it's good. I was wondering, when I pull up my index finger from my bar that i do could it be making other strings vibrate? i wouldn't think it would, but I'm not completely sure. I also am not sure how hold the neck while I play. I usually hold the neck in the palm of my hand, unless I'm playing barre chords. then i just have my thumb on the neck. Sometimes when I play with the neck in the palm of my hand my hand touches the first string, and I think that can cause some of the problem, but again I'm not sure. Is there something I can do to fix my hand from not hitting the first string?

Thanks to anyone that helps, I can sure use it, its making me aggravated hahaha
just dont bar that way. slow down and watch satriani and the way he holds behind his fretting hand to dampen the strings.
well..I'd check if it isn't my picking hand, just to be completely sure..but, if it is, you could try compensating with the palm of your right had, like muting some strings.

And about the thumb, I'm not sure..but i think it's supposed to go a little over the middle of the neck

correct me if i'm wrong..
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by Smithsc
just dont bar that way. slow down and watch satriani and the way he holds behind his fretting hand to dampen the strings.

yeah well i started getting better at that. I taped a pencil to my index finger so i couldn't extend it all the way haha, it worked well, but its still not perfect, I do need to improve, but okay I will definitely watch what he does thanks for that