- EMG 707's
- Maple board
- Set thru neck
- Satin Finish
- less expensive

Now, The Ibanez PGM301

- 6 strings
- basswood body
- PAF pro Hums w/ a JEM single (pickups)
- Maple board
- AANJ
- reverse headstock
- more expensive

I play Metal and shred. but i'm not sure if i need a 7 string( the loomis is probably the only one in my pricerange that i like) shortly after i get a new guitar, ill be getting a peavy 6505 head. any help with this decision, and any thoughts based on experiences with this guitar would be appreciated. also, to tack on to my question anyone know a good 2x12 that would go good with a 6505.
Loomis!

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by Killedelphia19
First off, The Schecter Jeff Loomis signiature 7 string

- 7 strings
- Ash Body
- 26.5" scale
- EMG 707's
- Maple board
- Set thru neck
- Satin Finish
- less expensive

Now, The Ibanez PGM301

- 6 strings
- basswood body
- PAF pro Hums w/ a JEM single (pickups)
- Maple board
- AANJ
- reverse headstock
- more expensive

I play Metal and shred. but i'm not sure if i need a 7 string( the loomis is probably the only one in my pricerange that i like) shortly after i get a new guitar, ill be getting a peavy 6505 head. any help with this decision, and any thoughts based on experiences with this guitar would be appreciated. also, to tack on to my question anyone know a good 2x12 that would go good with a 6505.

If you don't need a 7 string then get the PG.
The quality of the loomis guitar at least from my own observations would be a little better. If you don't have any desire to play a 7 string check out some of shecters 6's.
Quote by Ibanez20th
Is there a particular reason you are only intrested in sigs.

Anyways definitely the 7. As 7 strings absolutly own 6

*cough*7stringusersareattention*****s*cough* even though that I really need one... DAMN YOU LEGION!
Quote by Ibanez20th
Is there a particular reason you are only intrested in sigs.

Anyways definitely the 7. As 7 strings absolutly own 6

Its not that i'm only intrested in sigs, i just happen to like these two guitars, basically what i want is

1. guitar built for shred/metal
2. string through
3. maple board
4. active, or good passive pickukps
5. not jackson (dont like the string spacing)
6. good lookin guitar

and these guitars fill my needs

EDIT: I cant try these guitars, because no music shops near me carry either of them. however, over x-mas break from school. ill be going down to atlanta georgia, and i'm sure i can fin a shop to test these guitars out.

also, back to my 2nd question, any good 2x12 cabs that would go well with a peavy 6505???
Last edited by Killedelphia19 at Dec 2, 2008,
ive never played one, but the ibanez APEX2 has some decent specs for a sevenstring, for like half the price of the PGM.

but when it comes between those 2, the ibanez likely has a flatter neck, but has the super low bridge, and i like TOMs better. The inlays and colour scheme of the Loomis is sick, but the decals on the PGM are classic. tough decision dude.

props to anyone who shreds on a seven string. I was so intent on gettin one and i finally played one and it was just like an ocean of strings i could not comprehend, and it was only 1 extra string!
PGM, 7th string would just get in the way.
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Do you think you'll be able to use all seven?
Really use them I mean.

I'd figure that the PGM might be more versatile if you ever decide to try other genres, but that's not something I could tell you for sure.
7 is always better than a 6....:P
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
I say you picked a good choice out of the 2 guitars but for using with a 6505, Loomis for sure IMO. The PG is a Great guitar, but I've never heard one through a 6505, where I know that a Loomis sounds awesome through a 6505 (along with every other Schecter 7 [check out _jerm's band Incarnia]).
As for a 2X12 to match with the 6505, I'd recommend a Vader for sure. If you can save a bit more, an Orance 2X12 and Genz Benz G-flex are also really good alternatives to check out, seeing as everybody has their own taste.
Vader or avatar cabs are good bang for your buck
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
The Loomis seven string is one of the best 7-strings ever but the PGM is awesome and paul gilbert is awesome. If you don't need a 7 go with the PGM
I leik music
Last edited by col50 at Dec 3, 2008,
well i would pick the PGM, but how much is it going to cost you? if its around 1500 you might want to look at some the Musicman guitars. they do EVERY style of music you can think of and come in string-thru-body configurations
7 string sweeps just scream badass. I vote 7 for shred / metal, 6 for most other genres - simply because there are more suitable 6 string guitars for other genres. Otherwise 7 is always better.
Make sure you try the Loomis (or some other Schecter neck). They're not Les Paul thick, but its thick enough to sway some away from Schecters.

Otherwise, they're great for the money.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by SpellCaster
7th string would just get in the way.
Straight up wrong

Quote by Sir Anonymous
Do you think you'll be able to use all seven?
Really use them I mean.
Do YOU really know how to use all your six strings? I mean really use them? Does your composition ability rival that of Beethoven? Does your playing ability rival that of Petrucci? My guess is no, well neither does mine, but I still use 7 strings, not because I reached the limit of a 6 sting and thougt adding 5 lower notes would save my playing, but because I wanted to use it.

It doesnt matter how much you use the 7th string, if you want to use it even a little bit then consider a 7 string, the top of the range Ibanez RG1527 is a cheap guitar for what you get out of it, especially in comparison to the price of some of Ibys 6 strings. It allows you to play anything in standard, transpose other tunings into standard, play dedicated 7 string stuff etc etc

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
If you cant justify buying a 7 because you wouldnt know what to do with it, then just buy the 6. You seem to only even consider buying a 7 because it purely has 7 strings at the end of the day, if you cant apply those extra notes efficently then i would stick to what you know best and are more used to really, IMO.
NEVER use EMGs for shred. Ibanez gets my vote, alkso for better quality.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by Madzää
NEVER use EMGs for shred. Ibanez gets my vote, alkso for better quality.

Never heard Jeff Loomis playing? Rusty Cooley? Fransesco Farreri? If not, don't hate on active pickups for shred. They are Really good pickups for shred, and the Loomis is a really good guitar for shred. It all takes into opinion's, and I respect yours, but telling somebody to Never use something that they haven't tried is just narrow-minded.
I aggree Jeff sounds amazing on his solo album with that guitar, im trying to get one myself but i want the model with the flyod rose on it.
Quote by REPOMAN
7 string sweeps just scream badass. I vote 7 for shred / metal, 6 for most other genres - simply because there are more suitable 6 string guitars for other genres. Otherwise 7 is always better.

uh... no. unless your playing 7 strings is rarely needed in most metal. most musicians who have 7 strings don't use the 7 that much because there is just way to much low end. also i don't know a single shredder who uses 7 strings.
^ Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and John Petrucci. Just off the top of my head.
EDIT: Rusty Cooley as well. Buckethead has used a 7-string, I am fairly sure.

A 7 is nice - the PGM is a beautiful guitar though. It gets my endorsement. Sounds great, feels amazing, and looks good to boot.
no
Quote by bucky_2300
^ Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and John Petrucci. Just off the top of my head.
EDIT: Rusty Cooley as well. Buckethead has used a 7-string, I am fairly sure.

A 7 is nice - the PGM is a beautiful guitar though. It gets my endorsement. Sounds great, feels amazing, and looks good to boot.
steve vai usually uses a 6 string

edit: i think >.>
Last edited by ironman1478 at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478
uh... no. unless your playing 7 strings is rarely needed in most metal. most musicians who have 7 strings don't use the 7 that much because there is just way to much low end. also i don't know a single shredder who uses 7 strings.

You don't know very many shredders then - read Bucky's list and then add Jeff Loomis to it and others that I can't think of.

Guess I'm not part of "most musicians" either because I use the low B all the time and it sounds clear and defined with distortion on or off.
Last edited by REPOMAN at Dec 4, 2008,
For the price of the PGM you could buy a Carvin 7 string. It's not necessarily going to be a better guitar than the Loomis, but I can guarantee it will play better. I've yet to play a guitar that feels at least half as nice as my DC-747.

And about the 8 > 7 comment. I do love my 8 string; however, it's impossible to set one up as nice as a 7 string, so there is going to be some sacrifice in playability.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by REPOMAN
You don't know very many shredders then - read Bucky's list and then add Jeff Loomis to it and others that I can't think of.

Guess I'm not part of "most musicians" either because I use the low B all the time and it sounds clear and defined with distortion on or off.

i guess i don't
Quote by jymellis
have you looked at the ibby apex with the string thru design?

Yeah, i just looked at the Apex, Does anyone have any opinions on it, i think the schecter beats it in looks, but what about the playability?

Also, Thanks for all the help so far
Quote by ironman1478

edit: i think >.>

He USUALLY uses a 6-string, but he was also pretty much the first one to ever use a 7-string in a rock context.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by ironman1478
Usually yes, but he also has probably the most successful 7 string guitar ever, his signature Ibanez Universe

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Loomis ftw! You decide wheter you need the seventh string. Both can shred your pants off
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Page 1 of 2