Are there any exercises to do to work on my speed with my picking hand? I can't really keep a steady beat when the pace is quick. Thanks!
Are you using your fingers? You said picking so I kinda' assumed you were using a pick.
Either way, practice slow, then speed up as time progresses, keeping the tempo. Use a metronome?
Metronome and scales.

Also when learning a piece of music, set the metronome at a slightly lower speed than you can play with good tone and accuracy. Then play the line cleanly 5 times and then, only then up the speed. Repeat until you can play the line up to speed.

Speed is a by product of accuracy as Applehead always says. And good tone and accuracy are always more important than speed. It don't mean **** if you play it fast and it has a lousy sound.
Quote by anarkee
Metronome and scales.

Also when learning a piece of music, set the metronome at a slightly lower speed than you can play with good tone and accuracy. Then play the line cleanly 5 times and then, only then up the speed. Repeat until you can play the line up to speed.

Speed is a by product of accuracy as Applehead always says. And good tone and accuracy are always more important than speed. It don't mean **** if you play it fast and it has a lousy sound.

This

As a bassist you don't have to play amazingly fast in every situation. You can do accent type stuff and subdivide stuff. Start small and build.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by anarkee
Metronome and scales.

Trying this right now, thanks!