Alright, I'm a guitarist intending to start playing bass soon. I know the bass itselfs price and stuff like that, but I'm in a tight financial position so I'd hate to buy a whole new amp. Anyway, I recently upgraded my guitar amp and my old one was sitting around unused. It doesn't compare to my tube amp, but it's tone is good for solid-state. Anyway, I was wondering if it'd be possible to retrofit it with a bass speaker so I can "turn it" into a bass amp I could play the bass through at higher volumes without blowing it out. My question; would it work? I tried it with a bass, though not as good as a genuine bass amp, it sounded decent, I only imagine it'd be better with a speaker made for lower frequencies, though this is less about tone, more about being loud enough to be heard without an exploding amp.

Thanks for any help provided.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
the amp would be fine but you would have **** tone
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
It will work but your cab prob won't fit a bass speaker/ sub.
Also, guitar amps are designed to make frequencies of a typical guitar, not a bass, so I imagine it will sound very trebly, aka bad.
Hmm...alright then, can I get some recommendations for cheap bass amps that are loud enough for a band practice and/or small gigs?

From the bass forum FAQ:

6. Brands to get your hands on! This following section is purely what I think although generally taken as a good opinion. There are several legendary bass amp manufacturers – Ampeg, Trace Elliot, Fender and several smaller, often overlooked brands – Ashdown, Harkte, GK. In this section I will try to give a brief outline of why each brand is so renowned but the only way to know that you’ll get along with them is to try them yourself!

Ampeg – The Ampeg SVT 8x10 is the speaker cabinet of nearly every touring band and often on the GAS list of almost any bass player. Good rounded tone with no bias to any one tone means that this great all round cabinet can suit any style of bass. The SVT heads are legendary for that Ampeg tone that’s so hard to describe but instantly recognisable. Their cheaper combo amps are also very popular among the users of UG and look and feel very worthy although costly.

Trace Elliot – My personal favourite, the classic British sound. All made in the UK by some of the best engineers in the business. They gained huge popularity in the 70s and 80s and even reached over into the US but are still a rare find in comparison to the numbers sold in Britain. Famous for the Trace preset with boosted lows and high mids and the green and red output level knobs. A new line of fantastic Trace Elliots have been released and are a must try if you ever come across one!

Fender – The brand that started it all, the tweed Fender Bassman is perhaps the amp that started it all. Valve driven, well-rounded sound with plenty of volume, they are however, extremely rare and hard to find. Fender’s Rumble series isn’t half-bad for an amateur bassist just stepping into the gigging scene but still leaves a lot to be desired. Popular among young bassists for portability but true Fender bass tone comes out in their more exclusive, more expensive ranges.

Ashdown – A brand whose popularity has exploded in recent years. Engineers that left Trace Elliot after Gibson’s take over in the early nineties set up Ashdown Engineering with a vision to create good sounding, reliable amps but at a price anyone can afford. Many people will agree that they have met and even exceeded this vision. The affordable MAG series offers plenty for the gigging bassist and the ABM range takes it one step further. The even higher ranges are top quality amps and used by many pros in bands around the world.

7. Brands to avoid!

The biggie to avoid is Behringer, mention their name on the bass forum and you’ll see many members throw their hands up in the air. They have a terrible reputation to break down after just a year or two of active use and this is paired with tone that leaves much to be desired. However, you’ll often find Behringer owners who love their units to pieces.
Here are the two main gripes surrounding Behringer bass amps.

Overrating – When Behringer advertise their gear they will generously rate the output (Wattage) often quoting more than is true. Furthermore, they quote the PEAK output – the peak output is the output when the amp’s output spikes, not the RMS (root-mean-squared) which is the average. So they advertise something as being 300W for $200 and you’re thinking wow but actually it’s only 150W which isn’t as good value for money. It’s this while not deceitful but certainly not honest practise that has left a dark stain on their name.

Reliability – Behringer is perhaps most famous for the issues surrounding the reliability of its amplifiers. You hear many stories of a customer just buying a brand new Behringer, gigging a few times over the course of a year and then it just gives up on you for no apparent reason. If you’re going to buy an amp you want it to be able to keep going for 10, maybe even 20 years without packing up. You will rarely hear such horror stories about brands such as Ashdown, Trace Elliot and Ampeg.

Perhaps the only good point about Behringer is the cheap price but this is due to the use of poor, cheap materials, a poor quality control and less than honest business practises. In my honest opinion, a Behringer of any price isn’t worth it because you’ll only be replacing it a year or two down the line.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Last edited by samskii at Dec 2, 2008,
Hmm...alright, how well would this thing work;

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Perfect-Ten-10-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485039

On that note though, there's a 20 watt from a company called "Acoustic" on my local Craigslist. Anyone heard anything about them?

I've heard of Acoustic, they're supposed to be very good. Dunno personally, I haven't had an opportunity to try them.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Hmm...suppose I'll just try both once I get the bass then. Thanks for the help.