Ok gang, the HTH checking in!

Right... As of now, we are nearly completed with our 7-part long super song. We just need to tab out and play the last 2 parts, as of now they are written out (measure arrangements and lyrics and parts), they just need a musical reference and we're good to go. I'm going to start working out BPMs for each song, and timing each one to a tee so that we don't have to do any of that bull**** when we go in the studio. That and i'm going to write some of my solos (for the songs without a Jam-band feel) so I can double em and pan em. We counted it all out and we've got what appears to be over an hour of original material ... sheesh ... the epic song is about a good 35-40 minutes of that...

Thing is, each part is distinctly different, so I was just thinking of recording them separately and punching in and out to give it sort of that connected feel you know?

I was also wondering, should my band just do an EP for now? see we honestly have only played 5 gigs, and do not really have that many fans... so would it be wise to just do an ep and distribute it and stuff?
opinions thoughts?
Do a 4-song EP. Record your four best, tightest tunes (seems like you have what you need to do in the studio down, good job on that), and put that together as an EP. It becomes your demo for gigs and so on, as well as song ammo for your myspace, and gives you merch to bring to a show and thereby makes you look professional and serious. If you haven't played that many gigs, it's best to put an audience in a position to be "left wanting more". An EP will do that.....an LP, as good as you may be, will most likely not.

Hold on the epic song. That sounds like an album on its own, not a piece of one. It doesn't fit what you are looking for the recordings to do for you as a band right now. At any rate, I would hold back on that. That's the ace up your sleeve to throw on people later in the game.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by BHowell
Do a 4-song EP. Record your four best, tightest tunes (seems like you have what you need to do in the studio down, good job on that), and put that together as an EP. It becomes your demo for gigs and so on, as well as song ammo for your myspace, and gives you merch to bring to a show and thereby makes you look professional and serious. If you haven't played that many gigs, it's best to put an audience in a position to be "left wanting more". An EP will do that.....an LP, as good as you may be, will most likely not.

Hold on the epic song. That sounds like an album on its own, not a piece of one. It doesn't fit what you are looking for the recordings to do for you as a band right now. At any rate, I would hold back on that. That's the ace up your sleeve to throw on people later in the game.

I was just thinking that.

I don't want potentially amazing material to just get cast away due to a bad time to release in a bad position of press.
Should I give away free Eps? or do a thing like get a t-shirt get a free ep?
since you dont have much of a fan base, i would suggest just giving away your EPs, unless you wanna do a combo pack thing with a shirt or stickers or something, then you should charge, but not much. i would suggest between 3-4 $$

p.s. i just wanted to point out that with these threads your not really counting down :p
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Excellent.
Now I've been thinking of a formula for the EP, seeing as all of our songs are pretty tight. I want our more original sounding tunes on there, however, the more public type songs seem more applicable. On the other hand, Hendrix's first demo had Hey Joe and Stone free, which were not his most experimental work. The band decided on 4 songs. One of which is a very driving basic rock song, and perhaps one of the most fun songs to play, another is our most experimental tune, with weird parts and a time change and all. Another of the tunes sounds like something out of a garage band in the late 60s, a real early alice cooper/iggy pop type sounding deal, and the last one is the semi-pop sounding one of them, it's about a chick, but it has a very pumping and complicated bassline and a thick and layered drum beat with a vi-V-IV-V driving rock chug. Should we use some of our more different sounding tunes or these ones due to memorability?