I'm looking for something cool to listen to and I was thinking about it and I don't really got that great of a black metal collection so I'd like to see what you guys recommend in the realm of technical black metal because I'm big on technical death metal and tech metalcore. So if you got a band or a song I should check it out please inform me, because I don't really know where to start.
Quote by resteaten
children of bodom
Yeah, um... no.

Not 100% sure on whether u will specifically classify these as tech and black but:

Planetary Duality by The Faceless
The Black Curse by Lord Belial

Are my best guesses.

Also:

We Are The Nightmare by Arsis.

That's definetely not black but it sure is f'kin kewl.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Krallice! It's awesome, made from members of Othrelm and Behold... the Arctopus. I think Fen and Lengsel are tech black too but I don't recall. I guess some other USBM like Weakling or Cobalt might be considered tech too but you don't tend to hear much about "tech black metal."

You might look into more progressive acts like Sigh, Tyrant (Jpn), and In Vain as well. There's a lot more in terms of progressive than technical, since black metal is more about the atmosphere. Of those three I guess In Vain incorporates the most diverse elements including some technical aspects. I'd call Krallice tech though. Hope this helps.
Quote by 123-Trav
Yeah, um... no.

Not 100% sure on whether u will specifically classify these as tech and black but:

Planetary Duality by The Faceless
The Black Curse by Lord Belial

Are my best guesses.

Also:

We Are The Nightmare by Arsis.

That's definetely not black but it sure is f'kin kewl.

I'm actually listening to The Faceless and the song is called Sons of Belial...wierd right? I'll check out Lord Belial, and I tried to find We Are the Nightmare online and in music stores and no such luck around here, maybe I'll head into NYC and see if I can get it.
Quote by janecoffin27
Krallice! It's awesome, made from members of Othrelm and Behold... the Arctopus. I think Fen and Lengsel are tech black too but I don't recall. I guess some other USBM like Weakling or Cobalt might be considered tech too but you don't tend to hear much about "tech black metal."

You might look into more progressive acts like Sigh, Tyrant (Jpn), and In Vain as well. There's a lot more in terms of progressive than technical, since black metal is more about the atmosphere. Of those three I guess In Vain incorporates the most diverse elements including some technical aspects. I'd call Krallice tech though. Hope this helps.

Gotta check Krallice out, the dudes from BTA are pretty talented even though I've never been into them but if this is a more "focused" effort from guys w/that kind of chops I gotta check it out.
Make one! Just take what you think makes an awesome tech black metal band , and put it all together so you get what you want. Sure itll be a lil bad at first but hey, who knows, you could be on to something
Quote by janecoffin27

Agh, I'm not the OP but I checked Krallice out (myspace) they only had one song up and that's not enough to judge em with but I didn't really like it.

I dig B...tA though, one of my favorite bands.
Is there such a thing as tech black metal at all?

Quote by resteaten
children of bodom

Well if there is, I guarantee it isn't that.
Not as an existing label. But of course you can be technical playing in any style.
Krallice are horrid and this whole thread fails. Everyone is suggesting death metal when he specifically asked for black metal.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by BR00TAL
Not as an existing label. But of course you can be technical playing in any style.

Fair enough, I was just wondering if there was such a label as tech-black.

Don't think that would work
Quote by webbtje
Fair enough, I was just wondering if there was such a label as tech-black.

Don't think that would work

Yeah I didn't mean as a genre sorry if I gave that impression, I just never heard a lot of tech black metal so I wanted to see what were good examples of it. People have given some good bands to check out although all the bands I've heard seem to have this trend of incorporating elements from both black and death and just be tech with it, you know the technicality to the point that you're not even sure if it's a human playing the drums lol
edit: Drottnar is pretty badass, thanks to everyone for recommending stuff I'm getting a pretty bad ass play list of new music
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Dec 3, 2008,