so i'm in the market for a new delay pedal, and it would be cool if i could get some suggestions on which one to get.

I have a budget of 100-150 US dollars. Can't really stretch it past 150. It can be analog or digital, I'm not sure I'd really be able to tell the difference since I've never had a delay pedal. I plan on using it mostly for leads, but i'm sure as I get more familiar with how it works i could get a little creative with it. So a little versatility would be nice.

Not sure it matters much, but i play hard rock/blues. Guns n' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, ACDC, etc. I don't play metal, and i do use cleans quite a bit.

So far I'm looking at the MXR Carbon Copy since I've heard a lot of good things about that, but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I don't understand the hype of the carbon copy; if my memory serves, you get longer delay times from larger analog delay boxes, and that MXR is small, I don't get how it's so highly rated.

Anyway, I'd recommend the DD-3. Yeah it's digital, but it's kickass amongst digital.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
i don't have tons of experience with delays, but i have a boss dd-7 and it is awesome.. you can get any kind or amount of delay you want as well as some other interesting sounds, it has a 40 second loop which is cool n fun to play with, and it has a tap tempo so its easy to set your delay to the execact time you want. also easy to use, i couldnt really ask for anything more or different
Quote by necrosis1193
I don't understand the hype of the carbon copy; if my memory serves, you get longer delay times from larger analog delay boxes, and that MXR is small, I don't get how it's so highly rated.

Anyway, I'd recommend the DD-3. Yeah it's digital, but it's kickass amongst digital.

it's not about delay time, it's about quality of sound and warmth. the MXR CC has a nice warm sound, that analog circuitry prevails with when compared to digital. now if he needs long delay times, then a digital delay is more practical...but for great slap back delay or just a lead tone type delay, the MXR is great quality and not a tone sucker at all. it's just a simple yet effective delay pedal. quality sound and quality construction for a reasonable price.

i love what both analog AND digital delays have to offer...i don't view either one as superior.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
MXR Carbon Copy is best you can get for the money trust me it's all use for my pedals.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by necrosis1193

Yeah 'cause everybody knows it's not how it sounds, but the size of the pedal that counts.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Digital FTW!

No really, as far as I know, analog taints the signal - if it sounds "warmer", its because the original signal was modified. A delay pedal should duplicate the original signal exactly, nothing more!

If you WANT that particular tone though, then go for the analog pedals, but you'll have to listen to them first and decide if you like it.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Another analog delay that you can try, is the BBE Two Timer, although it might not have enough delay time for you. If it doesn't have the delay time that you want, go with either the Carbon Copy for analog, or DD-3 for a digital delay.
Quote by nbroers
Digital FTW!

No really, as far as I know, analog taints the signal - if it sounds "warmer", its because the original signal was modified. A delay pedal should duplicate the original signal exactly, nothing more!

If you WANT that particular tone though, then go for the analog pedals, but you'll have to listen to them first and decide if you like it.

Whoah whoah whoah, back the hell up there bro. DIGITAL delays are supposed to recreate the original signal, Delay was originally analog and used to add depth for country/blues/surf players as a 'slapback' effect.

Analog and Digital are two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT beasts. And as far as it goes, I think you either prefer one or the other, I hate Digital, it sounds sterile, piercing and cold. Whereas to me, Analog sounds full, warm and adds lots of depth.

A good analog delay within your price range is indeed the Carbon Copy, But also you've got the Ibanez AD9, A Vintage Boss DM-2 Off of eBay, a DM-3 off of eBay, the RetroSonic Analog Delay or an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory man... There are tons, Don't just go with the Carbon Copy, it's definitely not the first thing i'd pick if i was looking for an analog delay, I'd go with the Deluxe Memory Man.
I don't understand how a digital delay can sound sterile and cold - if it does, then surely there's something wrong with the original guitar tone?

Analog is different from digital, yes - but its more like 2 effects in one - duplicating the original signal and colouring the tone whereas digital is only the duplication. Thats why it comes down to personal preference.

And yes, obviously I prefer digital!

edit: I guess what I'm trying to get at is that people tend to jump on the analog bandwagon and with delays its no different - IMO analog delay is a niche effect and shouldn't even be compared to digital delay because its so different.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Last edited by nbroers at Dec 3, 2008,
well thanks for all the replies guys. i would go for the memory man, but it's a little out of my price range.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's