Poll: Of the two, which do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Of the two, which do you prefer?
Fender Jaguar
4 57%
Fender Mustang
3 43%
Voters: 7.
I have decided I want one, but at this point I am unsure which. Are there any specific reasons to lean more towards one than the other?
i wouldnt know really , but cheeers mate! both guitars are amazing!! hope u get a black and white mustang! lol i love how that guitar looks!
If you want one because you like Nirvana, just go buy something else please.

If you like the vibe/tone/etc, go play the two in person. That's going to give you the definite answer. They both have different feels to them, so get your hands on them and plug 'em in if you can. That's where you'll figure out the right one for you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
Their trems are both pretty poopy. By trems I mean bridges. The Mustang has a better one though.

Thanks. Yeah, I heard the bridge on the Jag sucks. I also heard the stock pickups weren't too great.
Quote by irotinmyskin
i wouldnt know really , but cheeers mate! both guitars are amazing!! hope u get a black and white mustang! lol i love how that guitar looks!

The only ones that are in production now are blue, white, and sexy dakota red

Quote by Dirty_Civilian
Their trems are both pretty poopy. By trems I mean bridges. The Mustang has a better one though.

a well setup mustang trem is awesome, dunno about jags.

I chose my mustang over a jag, i just like it a little bit more.

Quote by Sid McCall

If you like the vibe/tone/etc, go play the two in person. That's going to give you the definite answer. They both have different feels to them, so get your hands on them and plug 'em in if you can. That's where you'll figure out the right one for you.

I don't understand why people bitch about this? No one ever says if you want a strat cause you liek hendrix don't get one...

Yes i know kurt really did modify his stangs and jags alot, but even with the singles in my MG65 RI i can easily get it to sound nirvanaish
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by andrid
I was thinking the cars at first.

Lol, it seems like people always think that when I mention either.
Quote by Kujaku
Thanks. Yeah, I heard the bridge on the Jag sucks. I also heard the stock pickups weren't too great.

If you're going to get either one, you're going to have to mod them at least a little bit. My buddy has a Jaguar, he replaced the pick ups with stacked Seymour Duncans, and switched the bridge for a Mustang bridge. It rocks pretty hard now, just don't get it for the trem, because it doesn't do much except look cool.
Quote by Sid McCall

Personally I've always thought they were the most attractive guitars aesthetically. I haven't been able to find either at the local guitar places to **** around with.
Quote by irotinmyskin
not only cobain used a mustang or a jaguar...

Yeah, that's my point. He had humbuckers and everyone seems to think they can get his sound from one, when you really can't. At all. Most other players who use 'em have that single coil tone that sounds so awesome.

But yeah, don't decide without playing them first. If you feel like messing with it, you can order both from MusiciansFriend and then return the one you don't like. They have the 30day return thing. It's worth it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
If you're going to get either one, you're going to have to mod them at least a little bit. My buddy has a Jaguar, he replaced the pick ups with stacked Seymour Duncans, and switched the bridge for a Mustang bridge. It rocks pretty hard now, just don't get it for the trem, because it doesn't do much except look cool.

That sounds pretty sweet, Man, I'd love to get my hands on something like that. I have been looking into Seymour Duncan pick ups. Would it be a pain in the ass to put a Mustang bridge on a Jaguar?
Quote by Kujaku
That sounds pretty sweet, Man, I'd love to get my hands on something like that. I have been looking into Seymour Duncan pick ups. Would it be a pain in the ass to put a Mustang bridge on a Jaguar?

No, they are pretty much the same measurements, if not identical.
Quote by Sid McCall
If you feel like messing with it, you can order both from MusiciansFriend and then return the one you don't like. They have the 30day return thing. It's worth it.

That sounds like a good idea, Mate. I might have to do that.
Man, it's great to be able to ask pretty much any music/guitar related question and get answers and help right away. Thanks.
never settle down with a guitar with out testing them first. I have a mustang and love it

Like irotinmyskin said black and white is the way to go

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by kurt/armstrong
id say mustang
they have smaller necks...

Stangs and Jags both have 24" scale necks.

I myself say Jaguar. When it comes to the bridges, the Jag one sucks tho, so get a Jag, and then get a Mustang bridge, they're the same size, so you can swap them out super easy.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I tell you to get the fender japan mustangs, they are excellent guitars
JAGUAR!

But you may want to order a mustand bridge and put it on the jag.
Cbf explaining why.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
which one stays in tune better?
I know their tuning accuracy and the intonation is not as good as the strats
Personally I love the Jaguar bridge, because you can do wierd stuff with it like strum with the trem arm and the like, but I'm a law unto myself. For most people, it's a nightmare.

If you want it just for Nirvana type stuff, get the Mustang and stick a humbucker in the neck. If you want something with a wider range, I would probably still get the Mustang and leave it stock, only because you won't have to worry about changing the bridge. I still love the look of the Jag though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I am leaning more towards the Mustang (though I am not fully decided as of yet), because it is made in Japan. I have only heard bad things about Mexican guitars. I am hoping to try them both out first though.

EDIT: Not just because it is made in Japan, mind you. That's just one thing that is has going for it.
Last edited by Kujaku at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by Kujaku
I am leaning more towards the Mustang (though I am not fully decided as of yet), because it is made in Japan. I have only heard bad things about Mexican guitars. I am hoping to try them both out first though.

EDIT: Not just because it is made in Japan, mind you. That's just one thing that is has going for it.

Mexican ones aren't bad at all, but japanese ones are definitely better.
i had a mexican telecaster and the paint on the tele was indestructible, mim tele was a well build guitar so my experience has been good with them but my cij mustang looks flawless but the wear is starting to show and its a 1yr 1/2 younger than the tele.

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Last edited by Nagashiro at Dec 3, 2008,
Dude I picked up a Mustang in Best Buy the other day, it was a little sweetheart loved every minute of playing. Great single coil sounds, I'm a tele fan and the two are rather comparable. Played it only in clean unfortunately so I can't tell you what it sounded like with dirt on it. Anyway pick one up and play, maybe it'll surprise you as much as it surprised me.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by SkaJon
Dude I picked up a Mustang in Best Buy the other day, it was a little sweetheart loved every minute of playing. Great single coil sounds, I'm a tele fan and the two are rather comparable. Played it only in clean unfortunately so I can't tell you what it sounded like with dirt on it. Anyway pick one up and play, maybe it'll surprise you as much as it surprised me.

I love the fact that the guitar is so small and lite
My vote is the Jag. The only guitar Fender makes I like is the Jag H/H. That will be the only Fender I ever buy when I can find one that I like at the right price. I like the Squier Jagmaster but I can't seem to find one that I would buy. I know there is one out there and wehn I see them i try them out but so far all of them have been lacking.

I never really got to play many Mustangs and don't know too much about them but i rarely see anyone using them so I would imagine they are not too popular.

John
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, that's my point. He had humbuckers and everyone seems to think they can get his sound from one, when you really can't. At all. Most other players who use 'em have that single coil tone that sounds so awesome.

But yeah, don't decide without playing them first. If you feel like messing with it, you can order both from MusiciansFriend and then return the one you don't like. They have the 30day return thing. It's worth it.

you can get a very similar sound.

it seems like you're talking about something you know little about
I love my jag, the bridge did suck (replaced the saddles with graphtec string savers, the saddles are the main problem), the mustang one is fine because it doesnt have the half assed threaded screws that buzz or the ridiculous design that makes the strings pop out. The pups are pretty ****e, but no worse really than the standard of MIM fender pups, bit muddy and hard to tame. As for the mustang, down on paper, theyre pretty close, the same beutifull neck, body wood, weak pups, but the different value of the pots (1 meg in the jag, sounds very toppy, 500k in the ryhtym circuit, and 250k for all the pots in the stang.) makes them sound pretty different, as well as the different positioning in the pickups, theyre generally mellower.

As for the trems, both the mustangs trem and jaguar trem are brilliant designs and hold tune very well, anyone that says any different has either got no idea really or just got unlucky.

Im talking about the CIJs here, i havent tried the mexicans, and the HH special (The flat black one) jaguar is god awfull so stay away.
Last edited by beckyjc at Dec 3, 2008,
i'd maybe go witha J Mascis jaguar (it may actualy be a Jazzmaster, but its worth checking out) as they have a better bridge by far as i hear
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
jaguar baritone speciall HH
or a Jagstang if you can find one
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
I saw someone mention the word "vote" and I suddenly wanted a poll, so there it is.

Thanks again for all the info, it sucks that I can't reply to you all, but I have read your posts.

EDIT: It sucks that I am too lazy to reply to you all*** But I am taking everything into consideration.