Page 1 of 2
Ok, well I've got my main thread for my guitar build already, but no one is really visiting and I need some help with this.

I've decided to pick up a vox wah pedal kit from a local shop and install it into my kramer restoration project. Sounds fairly simple right? Well, here's my problem, I'm not quite sure how to do the wiring for this. The input and output on the kit are both jacks for a normal lead. I need to find out if a) I can just attach it via some wire or b) if I have to go through some lengthy process that will take up most of my summer. Much appreciating any help you guys can give.

Oh and any ways to improve the sound (eg swapping out resistors and stuff) would be helpful as well. I'll most likely upload the diagram for it later on tonight.

Edit: if anyone knows how to set the wah up with a slider rather than a knob, that'd be great help too.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
What's the vox wah model number?

To connect it to the guitar's innards, just wire the wah outpu jack (or wires) to the guitar's output jack. Wire the input to the switch poles of the guitar...

Ah, screw it. I'll make a diagram.
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to operate the wah if it's inside your guitar? Clearly I'm no expert, but I don't think stepping on your guitar is a good idea even if it's not strapped to your torso
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Oh, I don't remember that. Maybe it was put in after I read it, which was right after it was put up. That's a pretty neat idea. I like it.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
I think it'd be sick to put it on a hinge on the back, like an old B-Bender, so you could control it by using something other than your hands, which I usually find are quite occupied when I play guitar.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
It's an old accessory which used an outside-the-guitar system of levers to bend the B string up two half-steps. One of them was controlled by a hinged lever thing that one might set against his/her hip, like so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1986_Hennessey_String_Bender.jpg I think that'd be a cool way to control an on-board wah, but don't have any idea how one might go about adapting the wah for that application. In theory, though, it would work the same way as a normal wah, right?
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
sound like a good idea drewsta42, and I have a fair idea of how to set that up. I know someone who can machine up something for that. I'd probably hook it up to a normal pot, but it'd be.... rather interesting with the 360 motion... ok... I may have an idea, but I think I may stick to the whole slide pot idea. anyone know where I can get one of those?
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by drewsta42
It's an old accessory which used an outside-the-guitar system of levers to bend the B string up two half-steps. One of them was controlled by a hinged lever thing that one might set against his/her hip, like so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1986_Hennessey_String_Bender.jpg I think that'd be a cool way to control an on-board wah, but don't have any idea how one might go about adapting the wah for that application. In theory, though, it would work the same way as a normal wah, right?

I thought a B-bender was controlled by a lever attached to the strap button? I saw one on a Tele, but maybe thats just the Fender ones
Yeah that's a different kind, I think the original version. There are a few different types, but the hip-rotating one seems applicable to a wah design and the others don't.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Yeah, it probably wouldnt work. You could just stick the whole pedal to the back of the guitar and use it like that
invader jims idea about trem arm on the wah pot isnt such a bad idea...
you would just have the pot sideways in the guitar like it is on the pedal and then glue or solder a trem are on it?
Am i right?

Is you want the silder thing, try get onto hugh manson, he built a guitar for matt bellamy (muse) with an onboard wah controlled by a copper plate on the guitar..
Quote by littlephil
Yeah, it probably wouldnt work. You could just stick the whole pedal to the back of the guitar and use it like that

*sigh* ok guys, let me clear this up, I bought a KIT for a vox wah pedal. this was not me just ripping the guts out of the real thing.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
mm, that's what I've figured, however I'm not always going to be using it and I'd rather not have a piece of metal against my waist everytime I want to play this guitar.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
I can definitely see Jim's idea of the trem arm controlling the pot, you'd just have to find a pot with a range that will make a difference to your tone in the ~120 degrees of rotation.

The wiring's gonna be pretty simple, as Jim said, but the problem with these ideas is that it always seems like you're gonna need a third hand/arm to operate them... If you had a sustainer, it might be a little easier, but that's just more money.

Just another thing, you'll need to power this sucker, so make sure you've got some room for a battery in there

good luck, I'm gonna keep my eye on this one
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
I can definitely see Jim's idea of the trem arm controlling the pot, you'd just have to find a pot with a range that will make a difference to your tone in the ~120 degrees of rotation.

The wiring's gonna be pretty simple, as Jim said, but the problem with these ideas is that it always seems like you're gonna need a third hand/arm to operate them... If you had a sustainer, it might be a little easier, but that's just more money.

Just another thing, you'll need to power this sucker, so make sure you've got some room for a battery in there

good luck, I'm gonna keep my eye on this one

he could gear it
troo seh. this is gonna be ossem. I can just see some nub watching another person playing this guitar, and seeing the trem arm used as a wah and just shi+ on the spot...
------

Shwiggity.
Dude, I think, and it sounds crazy, that you should use the wah like... a tone control. maybe if you can, wire a strip to it, much like Matt Bellamy, but then have a controllable knob for the Wah, like a filterish effect.

It sounds good in my head, but it could be complicated.....
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
A wah IS a tone control. On steroids, but it's still a tone control.

At the very least you could just put the kit into a pedal and attach it to the back of the guitar and hump it as you play.
Quote by Invader Jim
A wah IS a tone control. On steroids, but it's still a tone control.

At the very least you could just put the kit into a pedal and attach it to the back of the guitar and hump it as you play.

exactly The tone control on my guitar doesn't get me that filtery sound the Wah gives.

I just had a mental image of humping the guitar, playing Bulls on Parade
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Runnin Ronda Famlee

Widda Pokiit Fulla Shellz!

I think I've grown out of Rage...
------

Shwiggity.
=[

I like Rage.

At least the solos and guitar riffs.

Audioslave is where it's at.

EDIT:

Yes, yes indeed.

?)
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
I just had a mental image of humping the guitar, playing Bulls on Parade

lol that would be funny
gar, mateys...

and yes, I decided I'd clean out the sig and build it up slowly once more... haha

I'll find a couple more
------

Shwiggity.
How would you power the onboard wah?
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Quote by Invader Jim
I've been working on a way to control a wah pot with a trem arm.

If you carved out a channel in the guitar and made a narrow pedal-type thing, you could connect it to the pot and rest of the circuit. Put a pickguard or maple top or something on the guitar to cover it up, then drill a hole (probably more of a small channel to allow movement) and connect the trem arm through. Then add a small chrome rectangle to the bridge (if its a fender style) witha hole through it so it looks kinda like the arm is part of a real trem. Thats what I would do. I'm no expert though.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
BD 425: in which direction from Boston would you head 45 minutes home? I.E. do you live in worcester
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
+1 to Audioslave. If youre going Tom, Audioslave IS where it's at.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Holy Shit deftonesordie, you're the coolest person I've ever had the pleasure of seeing post on a message board!
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Page 1 of 2