If I were to buy a separate neck and body, how would I go about ensuring a match-up? Are there standard measurements for neck pockets or anything? I'm pretty clueless in this regard.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
"Standard" is something like 2 3/4" wide by 3" long.

As long as the neck heel isn't smaller than the pocket and the scales match up, you're good.

If the heel is a bit bigger, you can enlarge the pocket a bit and make it fit.
Thanks. I'm dreaming up a V project for next month and I think a Seafoam Green V with a white pickguard and maple Strat neck would look basically amazing, so this is very likely information I'll use.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
just because the dimensions are close doesn't mean they're correct. I had a friend buy an ebay body and warmoth neck... i had to drill/plug the neck because the mounting holes were wrong and I had to sand away at the pocket a little because the neck wouldn't fit. now it's as tight as a clams ass in january but it fits and works well.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
just because the dimensions are close doesn't mean they're correct. I had a friend buy an ebay body and warmoth neck... i had to drill/plug the neck because the mounting holes were wrong and I had to sand away at the pocket a little because the neck wouldn't fit. now it's as tight as a clams ass in january but it fits and works well.

How a bolt-on should be.
Quote by guitarcam123
listen to the sustain

"But you're not playing anythi-

"Yeah, but if I were, you would here the sustain. Endless sustain."

Hahaa, that's one of the funniest guitar-related video's I've seen in a while.
These go to eleven.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
?) maybe

"it was the first time i've ever seen Stonehenge in danger of being crushed... by a dwarf
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
haha
dont touch it,
i didn't touch i just pointed..
dont point at it either, dont even look at it, you've seen enough