So I have this little riff/intro thing i want to build upon but i dont know what key its in can someone help this noob.
~
A------------7
E---0-7-9---

I hope thats understandable sorry guys wish i knew i how to post tab in a better way.

well anyways the notes in order are E-B-C#-E. Im assuming this is in the key of E but i may be wrong. Im trying to use it for a blues/rock song im writing.

Also now that im talking about this subject can someone explain how to tell what any little riff/lick key is in? I swear i always have these awesome riffs/progressions but i kinda ditch em cuz i dont know what key there in.

any help is appreciated thanks
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
I believe its just a lick in E, but that alone doesn't tell you whether its minor or major.
It could be in any number of different keys.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
B Minor could also work for you.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
any # of keys thats not gonna help me. Say I want it in Em can it be? Im mostly gonna be using 7th chords and powerchords for rythm on this song and most likely minor pentatonic/blues scale for lead.

can you explain why it is possible for it to be in different keys?
three notes really isn't enough to establish a solid key, especially with the posibilities of what could be going on behind those three notes

Edit: i call bs on your last post, you've posted a three note progression asking what key it's in and then threw random words from music theory together to try and make it sound like you know something....
Don't you try and ask me your expiration date
Plans that forgot me 99 times
you'll be the one who opens the gate.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Founder of the UG RHPS fanclub....

to join simply amend sig..
wah? are you serious im trying to get help here guys.
Minors:
E Dorian
Majors:
E Major
E Mixolydian
E Lydian
All these sound rather "happy".
That's in the key of E, but you could also use this in the key of B as already noted.
B minor
B minor harmonic
B Phrygian
B Locrian
B pentatonic
B blues minor
B Major
B Mixolydian

As you're going for a rock blues sound I suggest
B Minor Pentatonic or B Minor Blues.

If you want to know what scale it is you write down the notes, as you have already done. Then you write down all scales you know in the key of the song, the key is ussualy the first note played, or a repeating note, so E is the first thing that comes to mind here but E gives only major posibilites so it's perhaps better to for a B. When you've done this a couple of times you'll know.
Anyways just try different stuff / scales and see what sounds.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Last edited by pinguinpanic at Dec 3, 2008,
Do you have any other pieces of this song? Some more context would be essential in determining the key.

And just kindly ignore TenaciousLSD's edit.
I dunno I really like the Bm sound. I find myself starting alot of lame progressions with an Bm chord. Does every individual player have a specific key they some how use more often over another?

If i use powerchords is it true that it doesnt define a major/minor key and i could use a B minor pentatonic scale over it for example.

I was doing a simple B5-C#5-B5-A5-B5 progression it was kinda easy but sounded cool. Does that resolve to a specific key? I noticed i had an a next to a b and i was kinda thinking that someone said that dont sound good together but in that progression i made it sounded awesome.
Quote by Esp_kill07
I dunno I really like the Bm sound. I find myself starting alot of lame progressions with an Bm chord. Does every individual player have a specific key they some how use more often over another?

If i use powerchords is it true that it doesnt define a major/minor key and i could use a B minor pentatonic scale over it for example.

I was doing a simple B5-C#5-B5-A5-B5 progression it was kinda easy but sounded cool. Does that resolve to a specific key? I noticed i had an a next to a b and i was kinda thinking that someone said that dont sound good together but in that progression i made it sounded awesome.

No one knows what you think sound good. Anyway for that progression could in be a lot of progressions so you just pick something you like. If you like B minor, then go for B minor.
And yes everyone has a preference for certain scales.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
well im gonna try and work with this little piece thanks for the help guys