I know people ask for recommendations all the time, but I searched the forums and didn’t find anything real specific to this search so here it goes. I am looking for a new 6 string acoustic. I like the idea of an acoustic electric, because I am considering trying to play a few coffee shops, etc. just for fun. I don’t plan on a serious music career, but I am in the recreation field, so having a guitar that sounds good would be beneficial around the campfire. I have been playing for about a year or so and the guitar I learned on has been damaged beyond repair. I love playing bluegrass/folk/country but also some rock songs as well. I really enjoy songs that involve finger picking. I was talking to a family member over Thanksgiving who is a bit of a hippy and he recommended Seagull guitars. I would like to limit my spending to about 400-600max if possible (I’m a broke as a joke college student). In the end, I am looking for a guitar that will last me throughout my adult life and one that has great sound. Something that will light up a small room, but also sound good in front of hundreds of people when the time comes. Is Seagull the right brand? Which guitar specifically? Other recommendatons?
Seagulls are great guitars, as are, I feel, the whole Godin family. For the price you pay (usually pretty low), I'd say there are none better. Seagull does make some higher end stuff, the Peppino D'Agostino signature for example, but there are affordable, well-crafted guitars. In terms of what specifically you want, that's all you. I like rosewood on my back and sides, I find it so bright and strong.
As long as you don't do really harsh strumming, a seagull with a cedar top is absolutely beautiful sounding.

I don't have any specific models because there are quite a few and they're all just great guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
My experience with Seagull guitars is only with their lower end models, but I have heard that they are a very good brand. Their lower end guitar that I tried was very similar in feel and sound to my beginning samick/greg bennett acoustic, which received many many compliments on sound for the price. I have since upgraded to a Martin DX1 which is an amazing guitar (about $500 USD). It's not acoustic-electric though.

Basically what I'm saying is try some greg bennett and martin guitars before you make your final decision.
I'm going to try out some seagulls in the local shop some time in the next few weeks so I'll get back to you on that if I remember.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Seagull Coastline S6.
You will not be disappointed. The only thing some people don't like about this guitar is that it has a slightly metallic sound. That's the only slightly negative thing I've heard about it.
I don't really know much about Seagull guitars, but I can offer this little bit of advice:

If you want a guitar to last you the rest of your adult life in sound quality, you are definately going to want an all-solid guitar. The tone will sweeten with age, as opposed to an acoustic with laminate, which will become more "dull" with age.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
I don't really know much about Seagull guitars, but I can offer this little bit of advice:

If you want a guitar to last you the rest of your adult life in sound quality, you are definately going to want an all-solid guitar. The tone will sweeten with age, as opposed to an acoustic with laminate, which will become more "dull" with age.

Not a Seagull. They're that well built. I've played an old one before. They still sound amazing.
Equipment:

Seriously? And you're SURE it wasn't all-solid?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Woooaaahhh there, I have a seagull grand! It is the perfect finger pickers guitar and sound beautiful mate I swear! If your a uk guitarist, I'm willing to accept decent offers....
Haha. Quite sure. Seagull solid body guitars are only at the performer and artist series(and the mahogany/spruce 25th anniversary ones). The one I played was just a cheaper S6 model.
Equipment:

What would make you say that?
Equipment:

Get a Seagull S6 Cedar GT+ (got mine new for $300 though haven't looked at prices in a while). Get a In-hole Active M1 pickup for 200. This is 100 under your budget and sounds amazing. You just gotta drill a hole in the base of the guitar to install the pickup but it sounds amazing. Peeps that try my "beater" (my lower priced seagull) are amazed at the sound today.
I've played a half dozen parkwoods and all of them have had quality issues with neck placements and fret buzzing. They sound nice but not a big fan. However every Seagull I tried sounded good and only one has had any issues. Mine looks great, has a solid top which is good enough, and sounds/plays wonderful. With some DR strings and its slightly smaller f/b radius, it is a fast little acoustic.
Thanks for all the replies. I have since made it to a worthy guitar shop and played quite a few guitars. I must say, after playing all different types, I was not as impressed with the Seagull guitars as I initially thought I would be. I just didn't like the way they sounded. They had the brightness I was looking for, but too much pop with it an no control of the brightness (I hope you understand what I mean. You may just have to play them to get it). I really liked the Martin DX1. I picked it up and started playing it and figured it was one of the $2000+ guitars as were the ones surrounding it. Turns out that is was only about 500. I am really leaning towards this guitar at the moment.
Meh...

The back and sides on DX1 Martins are made out of that HPL (High Pressure Laminate). Basically some grey goop with sawdust in it that they slap a wood-grain sticker on. Seriously, that's what they do.

Have you checked out Alvarez or Epiphone Masterbuilt? They'll have guitars in your price range made of much higher quality materials than the DX1.

Just my opinion though. I mean, to each his own. I just think that you can do better than a DX1. With those, you're really paying most of the price for the name on the top of the headstock.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Having just played a bunch of masterbilt's i will second what natrone said. If you find them on sale you can get them for around 400.00. Spend 80.00 and install a k&k mini western and you have an all solid wood guitar with a really good pick up! The masterbilt line is one of the best bang for the buck IMHO!