In the coming months I plan on buying a good amp and getting a band together with my friends and start seriously gigging. Right now we just kind of jam about once a week but once we get the time, we really want to see what we can do.

Now for the real question, What kind of amps should I look for if I need a very versitile amp with a great SRV blues tone that can also handle distortion very well (with the help of my trusty pedalboard of course)? Think SRV sometimes but then switching to almost obnoxious Jack Whiteish distortion. Price is not an issue because I have eben saving for an incredibly long time for this. I Play a Gibson SG and a Fender Telecaster is that comes into play at all.

Thank you for the suggestions in advance.
go with a peavey delta blues amp

and a radial tonebone trimode distortion pedal and you got yourself covered
I'm not sure how much power you need, but a Deluxe Reverb might be a good choice. Throw a TS808 in front and bam, instant SRV. It has nice cleans, and takes pedals well. If you need more power go for a Twin Reverb.
peavey 6505 or valveking does a good job.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
I really don't know how much power I need either, I just know I'll need enough power to play at small to medium sized gigs because we already have some lined up.
check out a peavey classic 30. they're pretty darn awesome.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
20 watt Hughes and Kettner Statesman?

Similar to a Peavey Classic 30 but it beats the snot out of it in pretty much every way. It does all the blues/classic rock stuff you could ever want, it's got a ton of headroom for a 20 watt amp with EL84s and it's got a ton of gain to play with as well.

Won't give you a perfect SRV sound, but with an OD pedal on the clean channel I've gotten pretty damn close. Still the only way to get his sound is having a couple fender amps and a marshal stack
Is 20W enough to gig unmiced? Because some of the places we are going to be playing don't have pa systems.
Quote by SOADriff
peavey 6505 or valveking does a good job.

Dear god no. Wut?

OK, first off you may want to think about upgrading the neck pup in the tele to get to srv territory. Or grab a squier strat and upgrade the neck and middle pup at the minimum. A twin would do the job, but a vibrolux reverb would be a better direction IMO. The DRRI is also a good amp for the tone your after. A maxon od808 or on a budget, the BBE greenscreamer are good od's to consider. (true bypass on both ftw).
There is a drri on your craigslist with upgraded tubes and speaker, but he's high on the price so wait til that drops. There is also a twin but I'm not sure if it's a master volume twin, which I would avoid. Now a HRD would work too on the cheap but no tremolo/vibrato effect built in, which is key to some of his stuff. As someone stated above a PV Delta Blues would get close, but doesn't have the bright cleans the fenders do. Fenders usually take pedals very well, but like I said in another thread, I am not familiar with that artist you mentioned. Generally - these are not metal amps by any means but can be coaxed into some decent tones in that "direction".
Just my $0.02, hope it helps.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by icronic
20 watt Hughes and Kettner Statesman?

Ahhh yeah. Such good amps. So happy with mine.

Never been a massive SRV fan, but i'm sure it could do it, with your tele. Plus its only 20W, so at a gig you could probably crank the clean to make it OD naturally - just like SRV.

However, it is a british voiced amp, El84s... But the 'twang' switch should make the cleans much more fender-y, then again, i've never really used it much, as i said i dont play SRV.

As for noisy obnoxious distortion, it has a lovely OD channel, and if you cranked the gain I'm sure you could, especially with OD/Dist pedals, as i assume you have on your pedalboard.....
Adam
Adzlee123, if your statesman is anything like my H&K 20 watt edition tube, the reverb is going to struggle to hit srv. And your right about driving the clean channel into overdrive because the gain on our amps is way too modern voiced. The clean channel is very good on those amps as well. Kudos fellow H&Ker, we're too few around here.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Adzlee123, if your statesman is anything like my H&K 20 watt edition tube, the reverb is going to struggle to hit srv. And your right about driving the clean channel into overdrive because the gain on our amps is way too modern voiced. The clean channel is very good on those amps as well. Kudos fellow H&Ker, we're too few around here.

3 H&K'rs in 1 thread

Anyway, you're right about the reverb, it's definitely a little dry compared to most other amps, but still it'd get close, he'd just have to turn it up to 3/4 or so.

Also, the Statesman is a classically voiced amp so the gain channel would be fine for what he's looking for.

Although, personally I do like using just the clean channel and my Xotic BB pedal (most versatile OD pedal ever) to drive it a little more. I find that on a single coil guitar it really won't start breaking up until it's turned up about half way -- which is really fricken loud.

At some point I plan to put up some sound clips of it.