recently i have been wanting to save for a peavey 6505 and marshall cab, but given the price and my monthly income, would take a while to buy. Is there any point getting something smaller for a lower price (around £400 or less) or should I save for the 6505 and cab. My mate has a 150w line 6 spider III which is pretty good for practicing but doesnt appear to have much customisability, in that all the settings are pre-set (correct me if i'm wrong). Is there anything around the same specs as the line 6 that has great distortion, good cleans and is loud enough for gigging? Prices and links to UK sites only please!

I play only metal (metallica, bodom, trivium, pantera)
Last edited by Random3 at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by Mathamology
Patience is a virtue.

You'll just be waiting longer if you buy another amp in the mean time.

Agreed. unless you can get an unbelievably good deal for something used.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
The Bugera 333XL combo will do everything you want for £429
I bought mine (four of them) from mt247
I have had no problems, and mine are running 7 days a week in my studio.
Heres a link

mt247.co.uk

If you want cheaper look at the other Bugera combo's which will all do the heavy sound you want.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,

Leo
Last edited by leowestby at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by Mathamology
Patience is a virtue.

You'll just be waiting longer if you buy another amp in the mean time.

yes but at the moment i have a MG-50 with Boss Metal Zone pedal so i dont really want to be using that in the time i save for a huge amp, i would rather have something good now and get something great in a couple of years if i need to
wait and get the 6505 you wont regret it

its one of the only things that ive wanted so bad and when i got it it never dissappointed me
its epic for gain really is and if metal is you bag then you have to get it

do you gig?

if you do do not buy any line6 amp if you have tow guitars in your band you will not be heard (well ****ty fizz is all you'll get)

the only thing line6 are good for is low volume practice and making kids/shop owners sound good in front of their mum
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
Quote by peavey6505+user
wait and get the 6505 you wont regret it

its one of the only things that ive wanted so bad and when i got it it never dissappointed me
its epic for gain really is and if metal is you bag then you have to get it

do you gig?

if you do do not buy any line6 amp if you have tow guitars in your band you will not be heard (well ****ty fizz is all you'll get)

the only thing line6 are good for is low volume practice and making kids/shop owners sound good in front of their mum

nah i havnt gigged at all yet but have recently got a band together and will be gigging as soon as possible. i have heard that the 6505 is a kick ass amplifier, but i would like something sooner rather than later, as i cant really gig or even do practice sessions with my MG-50.
Quote by leowestby
The Bugera 333XL combo will do everything you want for £429
I bought mine (four of them) from mt247
I have had no problems, and mine are running 7 days a week in my studio.
Heres a link

mt247.co.uk

If you want cheaper look at the other Bugera combo's which will all do the heavy sound you want.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,

Leo

this is your best bet then they are based on peavey 6505-6260 and the peavey jsx/xxx- 333 so for the price they will do the job. and they are tube the only way to go. im helping my second guitarist buy his 6505 coz im sick of his line 6.

my mate has the 6260 head and cab and he loves them

but you might want to go for the combo because if you have the money for headn and cab of the bugera then your not far off the 6505
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

how much money doe you have already in the bank for an new amp
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

I just recently purchased A Peavey 6505 and its one of the best equipment buying decisions I've ever made. It sounds so good for high gain and if you work enough and have a good hear for tone then you can get a good clean sound from it as well. Plus its loud as balls. 4 1/2 is the loudest I've ever had to crank this thing and at this volume you'd better be wearing ear protection. I've also got a kustom 4X12 with Celestions and a Marshall 1960A cab and the sound is PERFECT. I definately recommend this amp.

Here is a possible option for affordability. Americanmusical.com has an easy payment option, so you pay a down payment of $200 and then make 4 more payments of the same amount every 31 days until its paid off. Give that a try. Great website.
Quote by peavey6505+user
how much money doe you have already in the bank for an new amp

nothing right now (christmas ) but i get about £500 in at the end of each month, apart from the end of january when i will only get around half that. hopefully i will get some in at christmas also
Quote by Preszombie
Here is a possible option for affordability. Americanmusical.com has an easy payment option, so you pay a down payment of $200 and then make 4 more payments of the same amount every 31 days until its paid off. Give that a try. Great website.

wow that sounds perfect man does anyone know of an english version of a site like that?
i might be selling my 6505 coz i want to buy a use jcm800, my style has changed

id be looking for about £500 for it as it is only 5 months old and only has one gig on the clock

im from liverpool if you might be interested
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Quote by Random3
dude hold that thought dude i that might be perfect for me when i get paid after christmas ill talk to my dad though because i live in bracknell which is 3 hours away

Make sure you go ahead and drive the 3 hours. I would. Always try stuff out so you don't end up being one of these horror story threads that got screwed. That's why I don't buy amps off ebay. I bought one and it had been rained on and no one told me. I just save the cash and buy new now. Cost me 1200 for my 6505 but atleast I know theres no issues.
also just be patient. You won't regret the purchase of the peavey. If you don't have the money just save the money you do have until you can get one. Don't end up with a solid state line 6 amp. You'll regret it. Just remember tube amps are a different monster if you've never had one. Once you get it, it won't be as easy to dial in as your solid state amps and the eq is much more sensitive. On solid state amps I keep my presence and highs up pretty high but I keep my highs on 4 on my 6505 and presence on 8. And it's still almost ear piercing. Make sure you can crank it too because to many people here get tube amps and they can't play loud and tube amps sound good with a lot of post gain. Your power amp gain or volume. Again different than a solid state amp. The volume doesn't matter as much on a solid state amp. The power amp is solid state. But the power amp on a tube amp is of course tube so it sounds good pushed. A bad monkey tube overdrive in front of the 6505 is amazing. It takes tube screamers very well. You'll need a noise gate with it too if you plan on using high gain tube amps . They are much more noisy than solid state amps.
How important is versatility? and being able to customize your tones?

The 6505 is nothing like the Line 6 spec-wise. The Peavey does one sound (but does it fairly well), it is probably one of the least versatile amp's I've personally ever played.

Maybe you just need a good modeler? One with similar features to a Line 6 Spider, but doesn't sound like ****? Look at Line 6 Vettas (see if you can find them used) or even give the Spider valve a try.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 3, 2008,
I'd pick up the guys used 6505 in a second man. Definitely do not get a low grade amp now; you will just have wasted money.

If that doesn't work out for you though; make sure you check out the used market in your area or ebay/etc. I got a 6505 head in great condition for 410E from a store that just didn't want it anymore.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Sorry Random3 im not trying to hijack your thread but im in the same position as you and i figure i might as well use your thread.
My latest thoughts are to save up for a 6505 combo but before that i was about 100% set on getting the Classic 30 but lately ive been having some second thoughts on getting the classic 30 i dont know why, but everyday now my interest in the classic is going down and my interest in the 6505 is going up even though i promised myself to keep the price range below $700...
Should i really save up for the rest of the year and go for a 6505 or just continue with the c30?
keep in mind that i play metal but i like good cleans as well, however im not gigging and i play at home and obviously loudness will be an issue.
Rather than saving for a new 6505 head and marshall cab you could just save for the 6505 2x12 combo. Loud as ****, good tone and quicker to save up for compared to the head and a cab.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by al112987

The 6505 is nothing like the Line 6 spec-wise. The Peavey does one sound (but does it fairly well), it is probably one of the least versatile amp's I've personally ever played.

Maybe you just need a good modeler? One with similar features to a Line 6 Spider, but doesn't sound like ****? Look at Line 6 Vettas (see if you can find them used) or even give the Spider valve a try.

versatility isnt hugely important, i just want something with great distortion and tone. cleans come second but obviously half decent cleans are preferable.
Quote by al112987

What am I hearing? He should go for a modeler over a 6505? The vettas cost way more even in the used range usually and they aren't half as good. And the spider valve doesn't come close. No reason to have an amp that does 20 things and it still sucks. lol this guy wants the brutalz and needs a peavey 6505 for that true tone like the bands he wants to sound like. Trivium is in his list... were 5150 users. The peavey also does more than one sound. And if you are playing metal how many sounds do you need anyway? People who play metal get these modeling amps and put it on the best lead channel and keep it there.
as a matter of fact im reading from peavey's site that Trivium is back with the 6505+ Where as they were using Marshall on the last album. Everyone misses those 6505's
Quote by hcsn2008
What am I hearing? He should go for a modeler over a 6505? The vettas cost way more even in the used range usually and they aren't half as good. And the spider valve doesn't come close. No reason to have an amp that does 20 things and it still sucks. lol this guy wants the brutalz and needs a peavey 6505 for that true tone like the bands he wants to sound like. Trivium is in his list... were 5150 users. The peavey also does more than one sound. And if you are playing metal how many sounds do you need anyway? People who play metal get these modeling amps and put it on the best lead channel and keep it there.

I brought up the Vetta because he said he liked his friend's Line6 except that it wasn't customizable enough, leading me to believe that he wanted something with many different options which the 6505 doesn't have.
The Peavey 6505 is a Tube Amp and is very high quality accoding to reviews, It sounds way better than a cheap Bugera (which uses cheap components which probably will not hold up to abuse or Live use), The 6505 has steel jacks, metal knobs, and use higher quality parts. A cheaper amp such as the spider or a Bugera, uses plastic jacks and plastic knobs, which if you are delicate won't break, but it won't hold up to something wacking the knobs, or someone accidentally wacking the guitar jack it which steel will. I have a cheap amp that I take to some of my friends houses and I accidentally broke the jack. Besides Trivium uses 6505s as well, and you can get a good children of bodom sound.
Last edited by Guitargod12345 at Dec 3, 2008,
I have a peavey 6505 and a bugera 333xl. I would agree that the peavey is built much better. But I wouldn't agree it sounds way better. Even the cheap bugera can hang with it sound wise. But they look sweet together don't they? (I always feel the need to show them out before someone says I don't own both and dont know what im talking about) On a recording they go together very well with each other. Quality wise the peavey is the winner but tone wise hell you might like the bugera more.
Don't you just love comments from people 'assuming' rather than knowing :-)

All 4 Bugera's I OWN are gigged on a regular basis with various bands, and are more than tough enough for the road. No special treatment, back of the van with everything else.

Metal jacks would be nice, but at the end of the day, that's a minor quibble for the sound and versatility they give.
Plastic knobs give no trouble. And I think you will find that chicken head knobs are plastic too..

I would say save for the 6505 or just buy the bugera 6262 cant go wrong with either really try them both out
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Get the peavey. Save for the real deal, don't get the copy.

If you want to buy a porsche to go fast you don't settle for a ford mustang. Sure, they both go fast and look nice, but at the end of the day the porsche will beat out the ford.

Not accounting for taste however.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
^ HEY. I owned a Bugera (sounded great) and currently own a Ford Mustang Cobra and I'd keep that over some ugly ass PorshUH anyday! I also own a 6505 now, and I love it to death, killer tone, but the Bugera was more flexable/versitile.