i have a tanglewood les paul copy that has been laying around my house for years doing nothing, i wanna customise it myself as a little project. where should i start?
i have £200 or $300 to spend on parts.
Well you should probably start by using your imagination? How do you know you want to mod something (yes you are modding not building) and not even know what you want to do to the guitar?

and I would never spend £200 on modding something, that could be going to a guitar that is decent from the off instead of trying to make a crappy one better, or I'de go nuts about by a set of BKPs...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
you could start with pics
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
i know what i want to do to it, but where is the best place to start. the pick ups? new fretboard? new switches? etc
If you get to the end result, it doesn't really matter where you start, so long as you finish in a reasonable amount of time. Like Absent Mind said though, make sure you have some very well defined reasons for modding, like "I want a brighter tone" or "I need more versatility" or "Time for a new look, where did I leave those spray paint cans??" etc. The exception would be if you're just doing the mods for the experience. If you're not, you need to have a goal in mind before you start.
anyone can generate a random les paul copy off google, the reason we ask for pictures of your guitar is sometimes we'll spot something on your guitar that could especially use repairing.

nonetheless, lumberjack has the right idea.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
anyone can generate a random les paul copy off google, the reason we ask for pictures of your guitar is sometimes we'll spot something on your guitar that could especially use repairing.

nonetheless, lumberjack has the right idea.

the guitar isn't in need of repair. i just want to make it more playable.
more playable? probably do well to have a good set up first then see where you are from there. unfortunately other than that theres not much more that you can do for playability - unless it has paint on the back of the neck - then you can strip the paint and tung oil it.

emm . . . yeah i think as far as playability is concerned, get a full set up done by a luthier.
just for funsies i'd put in a kill switch
the togle switch method is such a waste of a pickup
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
killswitch gets wired from volume to the jack.
You can't get a new fretboard unless you want to go throught the whole steaming proccess.
What do you want to sound like? What amp you got?
Add some cool wiring mods, like push pull coil split etc
Quote by guitarcam123
killswitch gets wired from volume to the jack.
You can't get a new fretboard unless you want to go throught the whole steaming proccess.
What do you want to sound like? What amp you got?
Add some cool wiring mods, like push pull coil split etc

"streaming process"?
i got a fender super champ xd amp.
"wiring mods"?
push pull coil split"?

so i can't go ahead and just replace stuff?