Page 1 of 2
As you guys are experts in all fields, I'm hoping you might be able to help out.

What's the best way to improve one's confidence?
I'm always a shy person, and I dislike being so.
Anything you lot can recommend?

Thanks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
What are you not confident about??

Drink lots of water and at least act like you don't care. Stop trying to impress. Walk around with your wiener out.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Alcohol.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Force yourself to do stuff when the little shy beastie is sayin "don't do it".

If you don't you'll never get laid.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Force yourself to do stuff when the little shy beastie is sayin "don't do it".

I tried that.

But failed as I surrendered to myself...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
walk tall, good strong proud posture just beams confidence
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Shy at what? Talking to people? Going out in public?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
work out.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Shy at what? Talking to people? Going out in public?

All of the above.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I tried that.

But failed as I surrendered to myself...
I used to be pretty shy too, the feeling of breaking out the shell is pretty good.

Just keep trying, start on little things
I'm shy too.

Turn your brain off.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
dont get so nervous when your talking to people
becuase they are infact...just people, same as you
Though matter how more attractive,charismatic,confident someone is they have all had these insecurites at some point, its human nature.
Just learn to accept yourself
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
i used to be incredibly shy. just stop caring.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I used to be pretty shy too, the feeling of breaking out the shell is pretty good.

Just keep trying, start on little things

Such as... ?

I really want to break it. It's the only thing about me I dislike, and it's holding me back.

And yes, I am listening to what everyone else here is saying as well.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Drink abit to loosen up, and get thrown in the deepend of social interactions, in other words make yourself the centre of attention before thinking "fock what am I doing", then you have no other choice, and you will be surprised how well you will cope. You'll probably brick yourself doing it, but it gets easier. I used to be reasonably shy, and then I discovered alcohol and eventually I wasnt shy at all (as in even when alcohol isnt involved)
Quote by Hakanku
Drink abit to loosen up, and get thrown in the deepend of social interactions, in other words make yourself the centre of attention before thinking "fock what am I doing", then you have no other choice, and you will be surprised how well you will cope. You'll probably brick yourself doing it, but it gets easier. I used to be reasonably shy, and then I discovered alcohol and eventually I wasnt shy at all (as in even when alcohol isnt involved)

Not really a long term, permanent, goal is it?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Such as... ?

I really want to break it. It's the only thing about me I dislike, and it's holding me back.
Just think of the very simplest things your shyness stops you from doing and try doing them.

And remember this: Most people are shy because they think that absolutely everybody around them is scuitinising every little detail about them, so they try to remain as unnoticeable as possible to get away from that feeling that everybody's looking.

NOBODY IS LOOKING.
Quote by Simsimius
All of the above.

At the moment, I'm a bit of a recluse I'm in a foreign country (I'm from Scotland) and I tried to avoid interaction. By just going to the shops and buying a newspaper and saying thank you has boosted my confidence. Keep doing that and you'll soon get comfortable with day to day tasks.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Roxxor your pennor in her boxxor. . . . . . . .

No but seriously consider getting a new, bigger penis. It will enhance your confidence no end.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by freedoms_stain
Just think of the very simplest things your shyness stops you from doing and try doing them.

And remember this: Most people are shy because they think that absolutely everybody around them is scuitinising every little detail about them, so they try to remain as unnoticeable as possible to get away from that feeling that everybody's looking.

NOBODY IS LOOKING.

K, thanks.

And all the other suggestions, apart from cocaine and alcohol, are very useful as well. But there's point in quoting them all.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
At the moment, I'm a bit of a recluse I'm in a foreign country (I'm from Scotland) and I tried to avoid interaction. By just going to the shops and buying a newspaper and saying thank you has boosted my confidence. Keep doing that and you'll soon get comfortable with day to day tasks.

I already do that. Need to go further.
TBH, I don't like calling people by their name. I just can't, for some reason, say it unless I really, really know them. It's weird.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Definately drinking

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Okay, I'll contribute a serious response to a fellow shyface:

Realise that not everybody has to be a massive extrovert and that you, as you are, are just fine.

However, if you would be happier with yourself if you were less shy, I suggest the following:

Talk to people. Just anyone. And don't be scared. Most people are alright and won't immediately judge you or anything.

Do you go to school? Just strike up a conversation with anyone. Tomorrow. Seriously anyone. Just pick somebody you normally wouldn't talk to. Also, if you're a guy, pick a girl. Just practice talking to different people.

I was absolutely painfully shy a few years ago, but somehow or another I more or less got over my fear of speaking out to people. I'm still quiet, but I can talk to people better.

Best of luck.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Quote by JackalUK
Breast augmentation seems to work for women, perhaps try that

-1 Plastic surgery just makes you look and feel worse later in life (apparently) best way to gain confidence is to try and introduce yourself to more peole, or try and form a band or somehting if you can, performing increases your confidence no end in my experience
Quote by Simsimius

I already do that. Need to go further.
TBH, I don't like calling people by their name. I just can't, for some reason, say it unless I really, really know them. It's weird.

Hmm. I'm comfortable around people I know. I get really nervous when there's someone around who looks even remotely threatening. I get shaky every time a boy racer drives past my house. With friends I'm comfortable. Get to you know your friends more maybe?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by nodice182
Okay, I'll contribute a serious response to a fellow shyface:

Realise that not everybody has to be a massive extrovert and that you, as you are, are just fine.

However, if you would be happier with yourself if you were less shy, I suggest the following:

Talk to people. Just anyone. And don't be scared. Most people are alright and won't immediately judge you or anything.

Do you go to school? Just strike up a conversation with anyone. Tomorrow. Seriously anyone. Just pick somebody you normally wouldn't talk to. Also, if you're a guy, pick a girl. Just practice talking to different people.

I was absolutely painfully shy a few years ago, but somehow or another I more or less got over my fear of speaking out to people. I'm still quiet, but I can talk to people better.

Best of luck.

Thanks.
Will try.
I've just been feeling desperate to break out for so long.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Such as... ?

And yes, I am listening to what everyone else here is saying as well.

1.If its the only thing you dislike about yourself, and that is what bringing your confidence down then when you walk into a place where yoru never gonna meet those people again assert yourselfand greet them first. Who cares what you say, youll never see em again.
then your shyness will be *poof* and you should have no other disliked holding you back.

2. win life
3. ?????????
4. Profit!!!!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by Feel bad inc.
Just start with trying to do a few new things among close friends, slowly branch out.

Yeah, but what if it's too slow?

Quote by LaGrange
1.If its the only thing you dislike about yourself, and that is what bringing your confidence down then when you walk into a place where yoru never gonna meet those people again assert yourselfand greet them first. Who cares what you say, youll never see em again.
then your shyness will be *poof* and you should have no other disliked holding you back.

2. win life
3. ?????????
4. Profit!!!!

Win life is a profit.

This thread has been most helpful. The Pit always delivers.

Thanks again to everyone! I really appreciate it.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

Quote by Maus24
What are you not confident about??

Drink lots of water and at least act like you don't care. Stop trying to impress. Walk around with your wiener out.

Wait a minute... water?!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Dec 3, 2008,
You should get a job which involves you talking to the public, like working on a till. I've been doing that for a few years now and I'm confident now and I used to be a real recluse.
TRANSFORMICE

People that start a frenzy everywhere they go wish they were like you. It's natural for someone to feel like they need to be more of an extrovert, but frankly, it's just not you. I'm the same way - I like hanging out with extrovertive people, but I never really talk to anyone I don't know unless I'm desperate for interaction with another human. It's funny how (at least in America) being introvertive and shy can be interpreted as being stuck up, so to fix my little problem I started acting in a sense. I just acted like I was someone else, I didn't change anything about shy old Blow Me. For some reason, when I look at it as putting on an act, it seemed a lot easier to interact with people because they're talking to my mask - not shy old Blow Me.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Blow Me
People that start a frenzy everywhere they go wish they were like you. It's natural for someone to feel like they need to be more of an extrovert, but frankly, it's just not you. I'm the same way - I like hanging out with extrovertive people, but I never really talk to anyone I don't know unless I'm desperate for interaction with another human. It's funny how (at least in America) being introvertive and shy can be interpreted as being stuck up, so to fix my little problem I started acting in a sense. I just acted like I was someone else, I didn't change anything about shy old Blow Me. For some reason, when I look at it as putting on an act, it seemed a lot easier to interact with people because they're talking to my mask - not shy old Blow Me.

That's kinda interesting... I wonder if it's worth a go.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
read magic bullets
its a book about pick up and seduction
teaches a thing or two about body language
but just have a tall neck straight back smile be friendly, no need 2 be shy
just try not to care. also, try to thrust yourself into conversations with the opposite sex. kills two birds with one stone (shyness, virginity). worked for me.
i always come to UG for a tab, but get sucked into the pit

[SoWrongItsMatt]Have you tried, "Sex on fire?"

[[x]Huffy[x]]Either way I'm gonna be too stoned to care.

what he said.^

i love qotsa

mymusic
enjoy it.
just dont think about it

my gf doesnt play good in front of people either but she plays really good when its just me and her
I used to be shy in my preteen days, but now I'm like a whacko screamer with an extremely loud yell, my friends hate me for that cos I yell just to make them jump, I also perform a weeny bit, and so on....just open up. If no matter what, you're superbly shy, just try doing something good or nice. The results of gratitude from others will drive you to continue what you're doing. Sooner or later you'll be really sociable.
Page 1 of 2