Who has an Epiphone Les Paul, the ones that are 400 dollars and above?

As a guitar, is it reliable?

I heard the G string goes out of tune very often, but does it bother you?

You thoughts on the Epiphone.
I LOVE MINE...I have an LP Standard that I got for about that much that are now about $600. Great guitars. If you take care of it it'll take care of you. PLus, you can get a new tuning knob to correct that. It happens when you bend the strings I guess. I tend to bend a lot
I'm certain there are plenty of reviews for the epiphone les paul, seeing as many UGers have them. You could try the reviews section...

However, if you still want an answer, my Epi was my first electric guitar when I started playing two years ago. For its price, it is a pretty good guitar, competent in almost all genres (except country and extreme metal).

The G string on my epi doesn't go out of tune very often. Normally all the strings will go out of tune but that only happens after band practice or a gig.

It is very reliable as a guitar and, in my opinion, you can't get a much better all-round guitar for the price range...

Hope that helps.
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
I have an Epi LP Ultra and i am very satisfied with it. Very solid guitars for the price range. I have had no problems with the tuners yet either.
I have an Epi LP standard plus. Got it for 500 bucks a couple years ago. I put a gibson burstbucker in the bridge pickup and left the neck pup stock. It is the best guitar I have ever played, beating Gibson LP's and SG's, Strats, Ibanez, etc.
I have an EPI Les Paul Custom and I am happy with it. The only thing to complain about is the G string going out of tune quite often. But that' something I can handle. Besides that you get a very good and versatile guitar for the money
Quote by Zooropean11
I'm certain there are plenty of reviews for the epiphone les paul, seeing as many UGers have them. You could try the reviews section...

However, if you still want an answer, my Epi was my first electric guitar when I started playing two years ago. For its price, it is a pretty good guitar, competent in almost all genres (except country and extreme metal).

The G string on my epi doesn't go out of tune very often. Normally all the strings will go out of tune but that only happens after band practice or a gig.

It is very reliable as a guitar and, in my opinion, you can't get a much better all-round guitar for the price range...

Hope that helps.

Yes I could, frankly though I trust opinions when I directly ask them than articles.

maybe I can change them to grovers
epi standards are decent guitars, nothing fabulous though. the pickups suck tho and so do the tuners. tuners are very cheap to replace tho. i recommend spetzel
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I have a Standard Plus Top. I bought it new for 599 and I've had it for 3 weeks now. I've changed string gages a couple of times already, trying to find a sweet spot. Its taken some time to finally dial it in (I do most of my own setting up) and its playing great right now.

It will never be a 'shred' guitar, but it comes pretty close.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
I got a chinese made std plus top for £259, spent £150 on on pickups. Great guitars for the money IMO , the stock pickups are fine - I put mine in my old SG -- really bought it back to life.

Most of the tuners these days are grovers and they are good. I never had a problem with them, but i did end up changing all the hardware out of prference - nothing broke or had a problem.

It's a lotta les for the money.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I've had a few Epiphone Les Pauls. They've always been good but I never seem to mind getting rid of them.

As for the g string going out of tune. Yep, it will. It's not really a big deal to check it every few songs to make sure it's still fine though.
Quote by maiden_mexico
epi standards are decent guitars, nothing fabulous though. the pickups suck tho and so do the tuners. tuners are very cheap to replace tho. i recommend spetzel

Yeah, I agree the pickups are not up to par. Up against my Jackson with Duncans, you can really tell how dull they are. The bridge feedbacks a little on really high gain settings (B52 tube amp).

The tuners are great, though. I use 11's and as soon as the strings stretched and settled in, they held tight. Any guitar is going to go out of tune slightly, even after 3 or 4 songs. Even my Soloist with OFR goes out of tune every once in a while.

BTW, I haven't even touched my soloist in 3 weeks since I bought this LP.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
I have a few Epis LPs and I like them all. With the less expensive ones all I did was a pup swap and it improved those a lot. The higher end ones I love I would choose it over 80% of the Gibson LPs I have either owned or tried. IMHO Epis are getting better and better and in most cases better than what you find out there for Gibsons. The best thing is you can buy a great used high end Epi LP fairly inexpensive used and still have a guitar that's better than ones costing 1000s.

Like I say in most of the posts like this is go out and play them and see what you like. Then try some Gibsons and decide for yourself. You'll be surprised in most cases the Epis are better. I usually bring a friend with me so I can get two guitars to compare with out having to put one back and get another and I'll switch back and forth from Epi to Gibson several times using the same amp making comparisons most of the time the Epi wins.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I have a few Epis LPs and I like them all. With the less expensive ones all I did was a pup swap and it improved those a lot. The higher end ones I love I would choose it over 80% of the Gibson LPs I have either owned or tried. IMHO Epis are getting better and better and in most cases better than what you find out there for Gibsons. The best thing is you can buy a great used high end Epi LP fairly inexpensive used and still have a guitar that's better than ones costing 1000s.

Like I say in most of the posts like this is go out and play them and see what you like. Then try some Gibsons and decide for yourself. You'll be surprised in most cases the Epis are better. I usually bring a friend with me so I can get two guitars to compare with out having to put one back and get another and I'll switch back and forth from Epi to Gibson several times using the same amp making comparisons most of the time the Epi wins.

John

you cant be serious. no **** an epi elitist LP will be better than a LP vintage mahogany or even some studios. but an epi LP standard vs a gib. LP standard, MOST of the time there is no comparison. there are a few exceptions but wow, i wanna check out the guitar store you're going to.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
you cant be serious. no **** an epi elitist LP will be better than a LP vintage mahogany or even some studios. but an epi LP standard vs a gib. LP standard, MOST of the time there is no comparison. there are a few exceptions but wow, i wanna check out the guitar store you're going to.

+1.

All the Elitist guitars are a little hyped up. I was disappointed with the few I've tried.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by maiden_mexico

I think he meant dollar for dollar. I HOPE he meant dollar for dollar.

Like wine, I'd love to drink a $500 bottle of wine one day, but a $10 or $15 dollar bottle does the job for me.

I'd love to own a $2500 dollar Gibson one day, but my $600 standard plus suits me just fine for the purpose.

Edit; I might think differently if I didn't have a Jackson as my main axe.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Last edited by sabbathu at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by mps59
I LOVE MINE...I have an LP Standard that I got for about that much that are now about $600. Great guitars. If you take care of it it'll take care of you. PLus, you can get a new tuning knob to correct that. It happens when you bend the strings I guess. I tend to bend a lot

Yeah. I don't go out of tune much though, try .011's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I go at least once every weekend to the Guitar Centers and Daddy's Junky Music stores in my area . I regularly visit 5 GC and 4 Daddy's within 25/30 miles of me as well as about a dozen small mom and pop stores. OH! Can't forget MR Music, a store I have been dealing with for over 35 years now. Once a month I travel a little farther north to check out music shops in NH as well. I probably try between 30 and 40 guitars a week. If you wonder why I go to these stores so often is I am retired and I collect, sell and build guitars and I go looking for deals on good used guitars I can resell some basket cases I can repair and resell as well. I post the guitars I keep the ones I buy to resell I don't bother with posting I just don't have the time. Trust me there are a lot of crappy Gibsons on the market now and this is coming from a huge Gibson fan and ex Gibby collector.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I go at least once every weekend to the Guitar Centers and Daddy's Junky Music stores in my area . I regularly visit 5 GC and 4 Daddy's within 25/30 miles of me as well as about a dozen small mom and pop stores. OH! Can't forget MR Music, a store I have been dealing with for over 35 years now. Once a month I travel a little farther north to check out music shops in NH as well. I probably try between 30 and 40 guitars a week. If you wonder why I go to these stores so often is I am retired and I collect, sell and build guitars and I go looking for deals on good used guitars I can resell some basket cases I can repair and resell as well. I post the guitars I keep the ones I buy to resell I don't bother with posting I just don't have the time. Trust me there are a lot of crappy Gibsons on the market now and this is coming from a huge Gibson fan and ex Gibby collector.

John

Damn. Wish I had that time to play guitars all day long

I envy you
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
yes, there are a lot of sub par gibsons on the market now, but that doesnt automatically make nearly every epiphone better than it. dollar for dollar, the epiphone is most likely better, but if money isnt an issue, im pretty sure anyone in the right mind and half an ear would take the gibson.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Epis are overpriced at the moment. The current build quality is too low to justify their price tag. The low grade woods, horrendous pickups and rather mediocre hardware don't help much either.
Vintage makes ok LP shaped guitars at the moment. Granted they are not the best sounding guitars on earth, but the quality is more consistent than with Epis. They don't sound as undefined, too. So, Vintages are better than Epis and on top they even cost less. Now if you want an Epi anyway because it says Epiphone on the headstock - well that's not my problem.
Otherwise, Ibanez, Yamaha, Squier and a whole lot of others make good guitars for 400$ and below. I see absolutely no reason for anyone to purchase an Epiphone currently, except if you have an outrageously twisted taste concerning tone.
Quote by sabbathu
Damn. Wish I had that time to play guitars all day long

I envy you

Trust me it gets old fast but it's better than hanging around the house all day on the weekends.

I have been doing it for a little over a year now since I got back into it. Before I traveled all up and down the east coast buying used guitars from other guitarists from the paper and want ads magazine. Now I deal with Craigs list and Ebay more and of course going out to the local places to see what they got in. Most of the itme I mix the guitar stores with other errands.

There are some great Gibsons out there but IMHO very over priced for what you get now a days. I really want an SG Diablo but I think they are hugely over priced. If I can make a good score reselling a vintage guitar I will use the profits to finance the purchase for one of those. I really think with a lot of Epis you get more for your buck. They might not be a huge collectors market in the future for them but it's better than buying a $3000.00 LP and have it loose half it's value later. As far as QC I think wins Gibsons QC has dropped drastically IMHO. Now if I come across any great used Gibsons for what I would pay for an Epi and I liked it I would buy it. I just bought and sold a Gibson BFG dirt cheap IMHO A First Act guitar from Wal8Mart would be a better choice, that guitar really s*cked I am glad I unloaded it fast and made a killing on it. I know I posted it in a thread here somewhere but I can't find it.

John
Quote by TheQuailman
Epis are overpriced at the moment. The current build quality is too low to justify their price tag. The low grade woods, horrendous pickups and rather mediocre hardware don't help much either.
Vintage makes ok LP shaped guitars at the moment. Granted they are not the best sounding guitars on earth, but the quality is more consistent than with Epis. They don't sound as undefined, too. So, Vintages are better than Epis and on top they even cost less. Now if you want an Epi anyway because it says Epiphone on the headstock - well that's not my problem.
Otherwise, Ibanez, Yamaha, Squier and a whole lot of others make good guitars for 400$ and below. I see absolutely no reason for anyone to purchase an Epiphone currently, except if you have an outrageously twisted taste concerning tone.

Epi's were a Decent deal when they were $400 for a Standard Plain top. Now, it's insane. I can get a set of duncans for my LP and still have five dollars left over. Off to Subway, lol. I agree though; Epi=WAYYYY overpriced.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
then again with inflation the prices are pretty accurate, cept for the fact that they arent produced as well anymore and have been outsourced to china. <insert communist smiley
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Thanks for your comments.

If you think about it, it does not have to be an epiphone.

About until 800 dollars, have you got a clue on a better copy of a les paul by an another factory?

Or if I may ask, what about the SGs?
Tons of kids at my school seem to have an epiphone sg.
Is is that good?
Last edited by radomu at Dec 4, 2008,
Look at used Gibson LPs You would be amazed at the aftermarket prices you can get LPs for. I have paid as low as $250.00 for a Gibson LP and at the most $750.00 for some really nice vintage LPs. With the economy the way it is sellers are very motivated to get cash so it's a buyers market for sure. Check your local Craigs list, classifieds and if there is a local weekly classified magazine buy that. We have The Want Advertizer here in New England. Be prepared to negotiate I have gotten people down from $1000.00 to as low as $450.00. If you have to walk awayleave an offer on the table and your number. With cash tight these days you can bet the guy will call you back and want to deal. I have been doing this for years and it works. I can't lie I have lost some deals but only about 10% and the ones I did score I got for half or less than the asking price.

John
Quote by johnro6659
Look at used Gibson LPs You would be amazed at the aftermarket prices you can get LPs for. I have paid as low as $250.00 for a Gibson LP and at the most $750.00 for some really nice vintage LPs. With the economy the way it is sellers are very motivated to get cash so it's a buyers market for sure. Check your local Craigs list, classifieds and if there is a local weekly classified magazine buy that. We have The Want Advertizer here in New England. Be prepared to negotiate I have gotten people down from $1000.00 to as low as $450.00. If you have to walk awayleave an offer on the table and your number. With cash tight these days you can bet the guy will call you back and want to deal. I have been doing this for years and it works. I can't lie I have lost some deals but only about 10% and the ones I did score I got for half or less than the asking price.

John

I can't trust second hand guitars, especially when I'm buying my first.
Almost everyone but you have been telling me to buy a first hand.
Maybe later though.
I have a Epi LP Custom and I just love it. I play through a Vox AC30 via a OD-2 and DD-3, and it just screams - with standard PUP's. But I do plan on changing the PUP's sometime in 2009. Why anyone would wanna spend 4 times the price to get a Gibbo is beyond me. It couldn't sound 4 times better than my Epi LP.

The only thing the Gibbo's have over Epi's is Kudos and Snobbery.

Edit: I didn't realize it was your first guitar. As a first guitar I suggest you have a serious look at the Yamaha Pacifica 112v.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Last edited by Brian_C at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by Brian_C
I have a Epi LP Custom and I just love it. I play through a Vox AC30 via a OD-2 and DD-3, and it just screams - with standard PUP's. But I do plan on changing the PUP's sometime in 2009. Why anyone would wanna spend 4 times the price to get a Gibbo is beyond me. It couldn't sound 4 times better than my Epi LP.

The only thing the Gibbo's have over Epi's is Kudos and Snobbery.

Edit: I didn't realize it was your first guitar. As a first guitar I suggest you have a serious look at the Yamaha Pacifica 112v.

Yeah, I tried the pacifica and I absolutely hated it...
From the design, the pickups, and the feel, it didn't fit me at all.
Well, new is not always better buying new you can get a crappy Gibson LP, they are out there. I wouldn't buy a new Gibson LP as my first guitar your better off with an Epi in that case. It's the same rules for buying used as it is for buying new. You need to try it out before you hand them the cash. It's always good to bring someone more familiar with guitars if your not well versed on buying a new or used guitars. I myself prefer used over new you pay a lot less for a better guitar.

It's funny that most people here push new over used I would swear they get a kick out of seeing people throw their money away.

John
the only guitars epi makes now that are good value are the sg's and the prophecy's IMO
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
the only guitars epi makes now that are good value are the sg's and the prophecy's IMO

why the sgs?
I'm so interested in the cream colored triple humbucking sg.
I have a Les Paul Custom and I love it. Not much trouble with the G-string on mine, although it does go out from time to time. Hasn't put me off wanting another Epiphone though.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
the sg's are way cheaper then the les pauls yet the same quality that's why
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
the sg's are way cheaper then the les pauls yet the same quality that's why

They don't have the sound though
they have a different sound
because the bodies are thinner
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by radomu
Yeah, I tried the pacifica and I absolutely hated it...
From the design, the pickups, and the feel, it didn't fit me at all.

Fair enough. Another alternative to an Epi LP is the Tokai Love Rock, they're LP copies but I'd say they are a cut about the Epi Lp's and they sound stunning too.

As you are in Tokyo you may be able to find one easier than in Europe. Check them out and seen what you think, maybe do a Google for reviews.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
I never thought that your in Japan, there are amazing guitars available over there that might even be a better buy. I used to have a great link to a guitar shop over there that had 100s of guitars I have never seen or heard of. I tried to find it but I lost it or deleted it. I think it was in Tokyo too. Maybe you know of it.

John
Quote by Brian_C
Fair enough. Another alternative to an Epi LP is the Tokai Love Rock, they're LP copies but I'd say they are a cut about the Epi Lp's and they sound stunning too.

As you are in Tokyo you may be able to find one easier than in Europe. Check them out and seen what you think, maybe do a Google for reviews.

Tokais are very rare these days, I did look and found only second hand ones.

The Epiphone Elitlist guitars were excellent, but too expensive for my limited amount of money of 1000 dollars.