Hi all,

I'm in the UK and have just started looking at replacing the tiny practice amp that came with my first guitar.

I've looked at a lot of posts, and the majority of amps being discussed are well into the hundreds of £/$, but when looking in shops/online, there are loads of amps available for under £100 (like the Roland cubes, or the smaller wattage Orange amps)

My question is, for each pricing 'band' what are the best amps you could hope for and what would be the intended usage (practice/performance/large room etc)

1. Up to £50
2. Up to £100
3. Up to £250
4. Up to £500

Anyone?
KCC Strat - GFS Double Fat setup
Godman Les Paul
Fender Acoustic (Strat Neck)
A good portion of amps suggested are suggested to go second hand, so its difficult to judge pricing 'bands' for that.
Also there are different amps for different genres of music, so there isn't any specific "best amp" out there.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
£200 - Epiphone Valve Standard - Gig (Small Venue)
£100 - Epiphone Valve Junior - Room Practice
£500 - Used Cornford - Gig (Large Venue)
Quote by neocaligatio
Hi all,

I'm in the UK and have just started looking at replacing the tiny practice amp that came with my first guitar.

I've looked at a lot of posts, and the majority of amps being discussed are well into the hundreds of £/$, but when looking in shops/online, there are loads of amps available for under £100 (like the Roland cubes, or the smaller wattage Orange amps)

My question is, for each pricing 'band' what are the best amps you could hope for and what would be the intended usage (practice/performance/large room etc)

Anyone?

1. Up to £50 - don't bother
2. Up to £100 - small practice amps, loud enough for busking or playing somewhere quiet like a coffee shop

good modellling amps for practice
Roland Microcube, Vox DA5, Peavey Vypyr 15 - all have similar features and a wide range of tones.

low wattage valve amps - good for practicing, recording and jamming

Peavey Nanovalve, Peavey Royal 8 - nice tones and realtively easy to overdrive, will sound a bit boxy due to the small size though.

3. Up to £250 - starting to get enough power for gigging, but only just.

Midrange Modellers - good for practice and jamming, just about giggable if needs be but probably need to be mic'd
Roland Cube 30X and 60, Vox VT series, Peavey Vypyr 30 - all have similar features and a wide range of tones.

Solid state - giggable
Peavey Bandit - solid if not spectacular, built like a tank though, great backup amp

Low wattage tube amps - can be mic'd at a gig, pretty much same as the £100 bracket but better quality

Gretsch Electromatic G5222, Fender Champion 600, Epiphone Valve Special - typical vintage valve tones, the Fender and Gretsch will be a little brighter, smoother and more American sounding, the Epi is a bit throatier and more British in character.

Medium wattage tube amps - giggable at a push, better of mic'd. Deceptively loud
Laney VC15 - great cleans, bright sounding amp, great with pedals
Sound City SC20 - bit of an unknown quantity but worth a look

4. Up to £500 - pretty much all giggable

Modellers
Line 6 Flextone

Lower gain tube amps - good for cleans, blues and rock tones. Will do metal-type tones with the right pedals
Fender Blues Deluxe - classic American tones, nice overdrive
Fender Hotrod Deluxe - great cleans, cruddy overdrive channel though
Laney VC30
Peavey classic 30

Mid-high gain tube amps - kind of in the middle, again will do decent metal tones with the right pedals
Orange Tiny Terror + cab - small, but loud! Not particularly "refined" sounding but great fun.
Peavey Valveking - jack of all trades, master of none...kind of like a tube version of the bandit in that respect.

High gain tube amps good for metal, good cleans but not so great at the stuff inbetween

Bugera 333
Bugera 6262
Randal RG50 TC

...all pretty much gain monsters.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 3, 2008,
Epiphone valve jr head and nice cab.( about 250 pounds); Blackstar 5w head and nice cab,(about 350 pounds) or if you wanna go a little higher in price and wattage, the tiny terror and cab( about 400 in pounds).

But if you really wanna get great and I mean great tone order the 18w combo from www.ceriatone.com
for about 450 pounds you will be the happiest camper Go try the marshall 1974x in your local store for reference. Youll be amazed
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat