My gear is
Epiphone les paul standard with Seymour duncan alnico 2 pro picksups
Marshall JCM 800 2205 '83 with jcm 800 1960 lead 4x12 cab
Daddario 0.10 strings

I used to play alot of Guns n roses and AC DC and my gear sounds great for that, but lately ive been playing metal most of them time, mostly metallica and slayer. I dont really get a good metal tone, cant get enough gain and i dont get anywhere close to a "heavy palm mute" sound.

So what should i do ? Put in some EMG pickups ? Change guitar ? Or maybe change both guitar & amp ?

Need advice
Simple.... Get an Overdrive Pedal, to push your amp into Metal territory...
Yep, Overdrive pedal would be what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've never used an overdrive, its like a dist pedal right ? Put in effect loop and use the clean chan + an OD ?
If you have enough money, look into a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier or another metal orientated amp.
Or if you are a cheapo, get an overdrive pedal.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by vismbr
I've never used an overdrive, its like a dist pedal right ? Put in effect loop and use the clean chan + an OD ?

It's technically a distortion pedal, but is meant to give more oomph to your amp in the way you'd be using it.

Stick it in front of the amp on the distortion channel of the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I dont see why you would get an overdrive pedal. Overdrive, of all things? You'd better get a pedal more suitable for metal, for example the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion! Its awesome.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Overdrive pedal. throw it in front of your gain channel and you'll hit metal territory.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by Drakathan
I dont see why you would get an overdrive pedal. Overdrive, of all things? You'd better get a pedal more suitable for metal, for example the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion! Its awesome.

Because you boost the amp's distortion channel. A distortion pedal will not sound as good as the gain channel of a JCM 800 boosted with an OD, a distortion pedal with that amp would be a complete waste, might as well just get rid of it and buy something with good cleans instead
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Check out a Krank Disortus Maximus, or a Metal Muff.

(Remember to palm mute as close to the bridge as you can.)
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
^Those are distortions and won't be a good idea imo.

Depends on your budget but...

Digitech Bad Monkey
BBE Green Screamer
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez TS-808
Krank Krankshaft
Maxon OD-808
Maxon OD-9
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Fulldrive
etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Dec 3, 2008,
How about just a booster pedal, you know, to preserve the natural tone of your guitar and the amp's distortion? Take a look at the seymour duncan pickup booster on youtube.
Quote by KingStill
How about just a booster pedal, you know, to preserve the natural tone of your guitar and the amp's distortion? Take a look at the seymour duncan pickup booster on youtube.

I have a LPB-1 "Linear power booster" but its not working that great
Hm what about a MXR ZAKK WYLDE OVERDRIVE ? sounds pretty good on some youtube vids i checked out
Quote by Drakathan

Because Slayer didnt use a distortion pedal and there as metal as they come...

TS just get you an eq pedal and od and you should be good to go....
the zakk pedal wont make you sound like mr wylde, but it does sit very comfortably infront of valve marshalls, i personally use it on solos/ and other lead parts, makes each note stand out, all very crisp + clear. 2 handed tap is brilliant like if you want to make it stand out from the rest of your tone.

it could do a good metal sound overall, rhythm + lead... but you mite get feedback depending how you set the amp + pedal, ie gains on both too high...

but i dont know how you set your gear, but defo worth checking out.

if i were you, ide buy it, but from a place where you've got a 30day money back gaurentee, so if it dosnt fit what your looking for you can always take it back.

but yeah as said, defo check it out though that valve marshall of yours.
Out of curiosity, what is your volume set on (your master volume), because if you're running el34s and are running your amp's master volume on 1 or 2, you're not getting any gain from the phase inverter or the power stage, and Marshall amps can get quite a bit of overdrive from it's power stage. If you're not running your volume very high, I suggest you open the amp's master volume to 6 or 7, otherwise you're really not going to get a very ballsy tone.

Oh, and you're also using alnico II's which are about as low output as humbuckers get.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 3, 2008,
Boss DS-1 actuallly sounds pretty goood for metal (it's what Zakk wylde used to boost his amp), just put a minimal amount of gain, maximum level, and tone. That, or a graphic EQ (you could also combine the two pedals). You can just set it in a V pattern for the scooped metallica sound, or in a frown for the boosted Slayer sound. Boss, MXR, and Danelectro all make good EQ pedals.

Also, maybe a slightly hotter bridge pickup just to kick the amp a bit harder, like an Alnico V or a Custom Custom (if you wanna stick with SD and wanna keep a bit more versatility).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 3, 2008,
get an overdrive pedal, like a bad monkey for just 50 bucks, turn the bad monkey's gain all the way down, and use that to boost the amps distortion. it should do the trick, and if it doesnt, you probably just need to learn to not cover up your tone. EMG pickups would be nice, but since you dont have another guitar (im just assuming here) you wont be able to switch back to your classic rock sound as well. so give the bad monkey a try since it works fine for boosting amps and its only 50 bucks
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Why not just get an attenuator for your amp? Turn that up to 7 or 8, then adjust the master volume, that way you'll get more gain from the preamp.
Quote by JoePerry4life
Why not just get an attenuator for your amp? Turn that up to 7 or 8, then adjust the master volume, that way you'll get more gain from the preamp.

As long as the preamp volume is on 10, he'll be getting the most gain possible out of his preamp, what he needs to do is turn the master volume to 7 or 8 to get all the gain that comes from the phase inverter and power stage. Marshall JCM800s can get quite a bit of extra gain from their power stage. He just needs to crank the amp loud.
TS, not licking (or at least not trying to ) lick Matrix's arse here, but he knows what's up
He's already said everything I'd recommend so... yeah, please take his advice as it will help you more than what else has been said
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by al112987
Out of curiosity, what is your volume set on (your master volume), because if you're running el34s and are running your amp's master volume on 1 or 2, you're not getting any gain from the phase inverter or the power stage, and Marshall amps can get quite a bit of overdrive from it's power stage. If you're not running your volume very high, I suggest you open the amp's master volume to 6 or 7, otherwise you're really not going to get a very ballsy tone.

Oh, and you're also using alnico II's which are about as low output as humbuckers get.

+1

if you can't crank it, maybe an overdrive pedal (you already have a booster and say it's not doing it for you)... switching your bridge pickup, if you're playing a lot of metal, wouldn't hurt either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?