These notes are all tuplets. How shall I pick them? Alternate or economy? And do I begin with an upstroke or downstroke when economy picking on these?

E||--12----13--15--------------------------------------|
B||----------------------------12--14--15--------------|
G||----------------12--13--15--------------------------|
D||----------------------------------------12--14--15--|
A||----------------------------------------------------|
E||----------------------------------------------------|

---------------------------------------------------|
---------------------------------------------------|
--12--13--15---------------------------------------|
--------------------------12--13--15---------------|
--------------12--14--15---------------------------|
--------------------------------------etc.-|
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
that looks like either technique would work. I would probably do economy because that's ingrained into my habits.
For those particular notes I'd play it strictly alternate, starting with an upstroke on that first E.

Just try a few different ways and see what feels most comfortable.
definitly go with economy picking. yes alternate picking would do the trick, but economy picking is just alternate picking streamlined into one fluid motion. so start with an upstroke and play it slowly if the economy method isnt already burned into your brain.
I'd go economy, and start with an upstroke.

But there is no specific way to play anything. Go with what feels right.
I am the meek.

And I shall inherit the earth.
i would go all down strokes but i play alot of slow nirvana tipe **** so that would work for me and to speed it up id do some hammer ons and pull offs
i would go all down strokes but i play alot of slow nirvana tipe **** so that would work for me and to speed it up id do some hammer ons and pull offs
It all about you being used to one techinque, either it will be alternate either economy, im used to economy so i would use economy picking. If your not used to economy picking why would you use that technique when you'll make mistakes
Not neccesarily so alternatex. Many players can use the two seamlessly when they want to. Remember they are 2 sepearte techniques both with their advantages and both with slightly varied sounds. Of the top of my head 4 players I know who use strict alternate picking most of the time but also use economy picking when it suits are Steve Vai, Al Di Meola, Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan. So it really is beneficial to learn both 2 the extent where you can use both. And it is very possible. For instance anytime I am playing rhythm I tend to use strict alternate picking or when I am string skipping I use strict alternate picking but any other time I use economy picking(well directional picking anyway which differs slightly from economy picking in that it is not as limiting).
Andy
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
Not neccesarily so alternatex. Many players can use the two seamlessly when they want to. Remember they are 2 sepearte techniques both with their advantages and both with slightly varied sounds. Of the top of my head 4 players I know who use strict alternate picking most of the time but also use economy picking when it suits are Steve Vai, Al Di Meola, Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan. So it really is beneficial to learn both 2 the extent where you can use both. And it is very possible. For instance anytime I am playing rhythm I tend to use strict alternate picking or when I am string skipping I use strict alternate picking but any other time I use economy picking(well directional picking anyway which differs slightly from economy picking in that it is not as limiting).
Andy

Same, I use all techniques also, It depends what sound I'm after. If I Want a clear 16th notes I go with alternate.

Most of the time, in my case I use downstrokes for the accents.

Like in this Septuplet:

A|-------4-2-5-4|
E|-2-4-5--------|
   d u d d u d u

I will use economical or directional or however it's called from the 3rd to the 4th note. That way the Rhythmic emphasize stays on the first note if u repeat the pattern. If u alternate pick this, then it won't have that strong rhytmic pulse(3+2+2), cause the accent will alternate from a downstroke to an upstroke, and imo the effect will be gone.

If I want heavy riff or a slight harmonic sound to my notes, I will use only downpicking.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 3, 2008,
is economy picking just sweep Picking???
Like Yngwie or those guys from Trivium do?
Economy picking is useful in odd number per string patterns.

Instead of D U D U D U etc It goes D U D D U D D U D

When switching strings, it eliminates "outside picking", which supposedly lets you play these passages faster. I say supposedly to avoid a ****storm.
AT forum?

I'd alternate pick that...generally, you wouldn't try to economy pick something with string skips.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by RCalisto
^ i do nothing else : D
E||-----------------||
B||------------3----||
G||-----------------||
D||-------2---------||
A||-----------------||
E||--1--------------||
You'd pick that with all downstrokes? I think I must be your bitch.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
Andy

But you cant really tell the guy what techinque to use then, I say let him use what hes good at. And using both techniques can actually push you to doubt and make mistakes while playing.
Quote by ramm_ty
E||-----------------||
B||------------3----||
G||-----------------||
D||-------2---------||
A||-----------------||
E||--1--------------||
You'd pick that with all downstrokes? I think I must be your bitch.

uhmm i would. and i'm not interely sure about if your offer is good or bad.
It will only push you to doubt if you are in a state of doubting your technique. I wasnt telling him what to use..I was telling him to not be thinking 'ok its one or another'.
Andy
I use both alternate and economy and the way I would play it would be alternate for the string skips. I don't feel economy picking lends too well to string skips. Economy is when you pick economically, skipping strings requires you to lift the pick over the string so I find best to use alternate for these. Then I would economy pick the rest of the 3nps patterns.

I always find that 3nps economy comes natural, whereas others say alternate come naturally.

Try and play it and see what way you play it, try to utilise both techniques if possible as both have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Quote by RCalisto
uhmm i would. and i'm not interely sure about if your offer is good or bad.
I meant...that's pretty amazing. *clap* Do you mute the ones inbetween and just rake the whole thing or do some fancy manoeuvreing with the pick?
Quote by TGautier13
Quote by ramm_ty
I meant...that's pretty amazing. *clap* Do you mute the ones inbetween and just rake the whole thing or do some fancy manoeuvreing with the pick?

Why would he mute them?
i don't rake them. i skip over them. though i do mute like an usual sweep with my right hand.
please bear in mind, though, that i can't play it really fast 16 nps. i'm not that advanced technically (or any musically way for that matter), and the first time i played that was today, right after i read it.
Quote by TheShred201
since if he didn't and he raked across the strings they would ring out.

Didn't you know he was string skipping ?
I uploaded in my profile ur lick under @guitar techniques@.

I used for the first lick strictly alt pick starting with an upstroke.

2nd link and 3rd lick strict alternate with hammerons on the 2nd line.

3rd lick with tap on high e string.

Last 1 is someone that posted that lick here. Strict economy all down strokes.

Very dry sound so nothing gets covered up.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^sorry, but it's obvious that the said lick is dry because you've never practiced economy picking string skipping before. distortion everywhere blah
the sound may in fact be different, but if played well, it certainly wont sound like that.
Personally, I strictly alt pick everything, because I prefer the feel and sound of it. As others have said economy picking can work well too. Neither is a magic pill that will suddenly make it easier to play if you are doing the other. I think they are about equal in terms of difficulty - economy picking avoids the more difficult outside cross at the cost of interrupting the dududu with two downs or two ups in a row. Alt picking allows you to maintain the dududu at the cost of having to get good at outside crossing.
So, short version, practice,practice,practice. Make sure you are good at hopping your index finger over the string in between when skipping, and make sure you're paying attention to muting the string you are leaving when you skip.
Alternate PICKING...

foreal...

save economy for the difficult stuff.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Wow - you guys actually stop to consider how you're going to pick something before you start?
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ