Page 1 of 4
Seriously I feel like crap, or at least I was last night.

I was at a friend's band meet last night, as I'd been helping him out set-up some equipment.

Anyway, their guitarist/bassist asked me if I wanted to have a go. So I got a bass from the store cupboard, a crappy Yamaha defret job. I started playing some praise and worship stuff and then a Muse bassline.

This earned me a grilling from the bassplayer, who got increasingly harsh with me because I didn't know all these supposedly 'well-known' basslines and because my technique was 'sloppy' (not my fault on a bass I'd never played!).

He made me feel like garbage and I feel like a completely crappy bassist now.

Anything to make me feel better? Comebacks? i
Ignore him, he sounds like a twat anyway.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
I'm worse. Trust me.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
that's like giving some random person a tuba and then when they can't play parts from some classical piece on it you call them a loser. tell the guy to piss off or bash him with said bass
I feel like that a lot, but then, I am not a very good guitarist, so yeah.
Hey i cant even play bass! And my speed is compareble to a turtle on the guitar
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
He's a much better bassist than me.

And there's probably tonnes of much better bassist's than him. Your point?

Just because he's better than you at something, doesn't mean he can be a twat to you. Either ignore him or tell him to shut the **** up.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
who cares if hes trying to insult you. ignore it, and keep going, the best thing to do is get better.
Just tell him to **** offif you see him again.
Who cares how good you are, do you have fun when you play? thats all that really matters. -_-
Life Sucks. Get over it.
Psh, ignore him. At least you can play at the moment, I've just given blood. =/
Who cares if he's better anyway, I bet there are people better than him that'd give him **** about his playing. If not for his playing, then at least his dickhead attitude.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
i know no metallica, RHCP, led zep or stuff like that and i get stick for it and yes my technique is not "conventional" but it works fine. play how/what you want and don't let anyone stop your enjoyment
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
And there's probably tonnes of much better bassist's than him. Your point?

Just because he's better than you at something, doesn't mean he can be a twat to you. Either ignore him or tell him to shut the **** up.

One thing I should point out is that this happened infront of a good 30 people. I wouldn't have minded if it had been in a band situation only but this wasn't/
when some one is a better guitarist than me i take it as a challenge to top him. competition is what makes u better. practice dude!
Quote by inhatredofme
that's like giving some random person a tuba and then when they can't play parts from some classical piece on it you call them a loser. tell the guy to piss off or bash him with said bass

+1 Listen to this dude, he likes Lamb of God

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
regardless, if someone is like that, they're usually hating themselves for some reason.

Just let it go, practice and practice.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Someone who scolds you for not doing something as well as they can is not worth listening to.
Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
**** what he thinks. He's not victor Wooten (Great bass player) so who cares what he thinks.
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
Quote by Renka
I feel like that a lot, but then, I am not a very good guitarist, so yeah.

Same with me.

Eh, don't let him mess with your head Fassa. Next time you see him, punch him in the dick.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
One thing I should point out is that this happened infront of a good 30 people. I wouldn't have minded if it had been in a band situation only but this wasn't/

That just makes him an even bigger twat. If you'd told him to shut up or **** off, his ego would be seriously bruised and he probably wouldn't get on your back about it again.

No doubt that there were people in that room that thought ''Jesus this guy is a douche, shut the hell up already''

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
In my opinion a musician should never downtalk another musician. If he was at all respectable then he would have given you pointers and tips for you to improve but since he just made fun of you just forget about that guy hes just a piece of ****.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

if these people had any sense they would see that he was being an ignorant twat
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I play guitar longer then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Last edited by noxiosimitator at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
That just makes him an even bigger twat. If you'd told him to shut up or **** off, his ego would be seriously bruised and he probably wouldn't get on your back about it again.

No doubt that there were people in that room that thought ''Jesus this guy is a douche, shut the hell up already''

I actually threatened to smash up my equipment last night too....oh dear.
Regardless of whether he is better than you, he is still a twat none the less.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I actually threatened to smash up my equipment last night too....oh dear.

The important thing is that you didn't smash it up.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by Minkaro
Last time I checked, I was still on the planet.

Lol, awwh
Have a hug. *Hugs*
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
The important thing is that you didn't smash it p.

The only thing that stopped me from doing precisely that was his girlfriend coming in and stopping me.
Quote by noxiosimitator

epic post is epic.
Quote by noxiosimitator

The difference between him and someone who is good at an instrument is he didn't give constructive criticism, he doesn't know how to teach, just to notice flaws in other peoples playing but not the fact that you were up there making music.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Happened to me a couple times when I was first learning guitar. I played for 4 years as a bassist before I even touched a guitar, so the first year was rough for me. I was the worst guitar player out of all my friends...including my little brother! Best advice I can give you is to use the feeling of embarassment that you felt as a means of motivation to practice your ass off. Even if you don't get to show off in front of him, you will come across somebody who will think you are an awesome player...just don't be a dick to them like this guy was to you!!!
Quote by eyebanez333
Happened to me a couple times when I was first learning guitar. I played for 4 years as a bassist before I even touched a guitar, so the first year was rough for me. I was the worst guitar player out of all my friends...including my little brother! Best advice I can give you is to use the feeling of embarassment that you felt as a means of motivation to practice your ass off. Even if you don't get to show off in front of him, you will come across somebody who will think you are an awesome player...just don't be a dick to them like this guy was to you!!!

Difference is that I've been playing 2 years....
Quote by TheQuailman
Same with me.

Eh, don't let him mess with your head Fassa. Next time you see him, punch him in the dick.

+!

Smash him in the face with your bass and then say
"What now, bitch?"

Then we'll all have a good laugh. Unless he's on tour with Godsmack, there's no reason to act like an elitist prick.
His ego is bigger than the instrument he thinks he can play, he needs to bash other people to feel better so obviously has problems, pity him, not yourself.
dont worry, bass isn't a real instrument anyway. (joke)

*puts up flameshield*

my god the flameshield is broken
Quote by aaciseric
His ego is bigger than the instrument he thinks he can play, he needs to bash other people to feel better so obviously has problems, pity him, not yourself.

I love you.
Quote by TheQuailman
Same with me.

It's okay, at least we've got great personalities to make up for it. >__>
Knowing you, it's probably something you did to piss him off.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Renka
It's okay, at least we've got great personalities to make up for it. >__>

I'm sure you sound great on the guitar!
Page 1 of 4