Page 1 of 2
OK, so I'm pretty well known as an EXTREMELY open-minded person when it comes to music. You name it and no matter how bad someone, or many people, or even most people think it is, I will find something to like about it after hearing it a few times and I'll eventually get into it, regardless of genre or style.

Yesterday as I was driving and listening to 106.9, I had my first experience with the new Metallica album. The song "The Day That Never Comes" came on the radio. I wasn't getting too into it but I typically need to listen to new music a few times before I start to enjoy it so I decided to stick it out...and then it got to the guitar solo.

I have to ask myself and anyone reading this: could Kirk Hammett suck any more than he already does? As surprising as it may be, the answer must be yes because I have asked myself this many times in the past while listening to their previous albums (older and newer), but the solo he throws in this song has to be a new low-point in the life of the rock guitar solo. I've never heard any, ANY, professionally recorded album have a solo on it that sounds so amateurish. There is no doubt in my mind that I could pull any teenage rock guitar player out of any high school in the country and sit him down in the studio and he would probably produce a more well-written, tasteful solo than what I heard yesterday. It was as if he just took out a bunch of scale pattern and technique practice sheets from when he first started taking private lessons and picked out a few random patterns to loop a couple times, then moved on to the next boring, unoriginal, simplistic exercise.

I'm really having trouble getting myself to go out looking for a copy of this album so that I can listen to it. I had enough trouble getting through that one solo without being torn between laughing myself to death and just smashing the radio.
+1 OP.

Still this will either be locked or become a flame thread then get locked.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

I have to admit, although I like all of his other solo's I was pretty dissapointed with most of the solo's on Death Magnetic, He used WAY to much wah on every track.

And before anyone says otherwise, I'm not trying to bash Metallica, that's just my opinion.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Zangetsu 101
+1 OP.

Still this will either be locked or become a flame thread then get locked.

Yeah, I know, it just struck me as SO bad when I heard it that I had to post something up. Lock away, mods. And I really couldn't give a fu** about the flaming.
O.K. I don't think Kirk sucks, but by that same token I can't understand why he is so praised? He's won Guitar Player of Year and a **** load of other awards. He is really just an average guitarist that has a wah obsession. There are loads of players who should be getting the acolaids before him.
Yea i agree the solos on Death Magnetic were bad a definite low compared to there earlier albums for solo work.
Quote by Guitarplayer)
He uses wah like other people use alternate picking, way to much

I would like an example of a guitar player that uses too much alternate picking.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by PSM
OK, so I'm pretty well known as an EXTREMELY open-minded person when it comes to music. You name it and no matter how bad someone, or many people, or even most people think it is, I will find something to like about it after hearing it a few times and I'll eventually get into it, regardless of genre or style.

Yesterday as I was driving and listening to 106.9, I had my first experience with the new Metallica album. The song "The Day That Never Comes" came on the radio. I wasn't getting too into it but I typically need to listen to new music a few times before I start to enjoy it so I decided to stick it out...and then it got to the guitar solo.

I have to ask myself and anyone reading this: could Kirk Hammett suck any more than he already does? As surprising as it may be, the answer must be yes because I have asked myself this many times in the past while listening to their previous albums (older and newer), but the solo he throws in this song has to be a new low-point in the life of the rock guitar solo. I've never heard any, ANY, professionally recorded album have a solo on it that sounds so amateurish. There is no doubt in my mind that I could pull any teenage rock guitar player out of any high school in the country and sit him down in the studio and he would probably produce a more well-written, tasteful solo than what I heard yesterday. It was as if he just took out a bunch of scale pattern and technique practice sheets from when he first started taking private lessons and picked out a few random patterns to loop a couple times, then moved on to the next boring, unoriginal, simplistic exercise.

I'm really having trouble getting myself to go out looking for a copy of this album so that I can listen to it. I had enough trouble getting through that one solo without being torn between laughing myself to death and just smashing the radio.

Comedy gold right here. How are people's tastes so easily malleable? Is that what being open-minded constitutes these days?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by dead-fish
I would like an example of a guitar player that uses too much alternate picking.

Impelliteri?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Don't feed the troll. It's been reported, stop posting. They probably just started this thread so people would flame them.

Yeah, THAT'S what it was. I'm not on this site all the time posting lessons, reviews, and helping people out in Music Theory and the Guitar/Equipment forums.....dumbass.
Quote by PSM
Yeah, THAT'S what it was. I'm not on this site all the time posting lessons, reviews, and helping people out in Music Theory and the Guitar/Equipment forums.....dumbass.

lul wut

u homo?
Quote by Shinozoku
Impelliteri?

Someone you didn't just make up?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Quote by Stranglehold
Comedy gold right here. How are people's tastes so easily malleable? Is that what being open-minded constitutes these days?

No, there are just a lot of people out there who won't listen to a band or artist because of the name, genre of music, instrumentation, or what have you. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I find something I like in the music. For example, there are a lot of people I know who won't listen to Creed because it's Creed, or because of Scott Stapp, but then when I play them some obscure song they never heard off of one of the albums they love it. And then when I tell them it's Creed, all of the sudden it's not so great and they don't want me to play it. Or people who won't listen to rap because it's rap, or metal because it's metal, or country because it's country.
Quote by Ht666
To be honest, Creed are awful.

That's fine. It was just an example.
Quote by PSM

Yet you somehow decided that creating this thread was in some way productive, relevant, or otherwise interesting.
Quote by dead-fish
Yet you somehow decided that creating this thread was in some way productive, relevant, or otherwise interesting.

Well, seeing as how I got some serious responses, yes to at least the interesting part. Who said I was trying to be productive? And I'm pretty sure Metallica solos fall into the "Metal" category, so I'll also say yes to the relevant part. And who's the troll? The guy creating a thread expressing his opinion on a new solo he just heard or the guy coming in and trashing the thread and OP just for the hell of it?
Too bad he didn't seem to put much effort into the solos. He has done better, money zaps creativity.
Quote by Tempoe
Too bad he didn't seem to put much effort into the solos. He has done better, money zaps creativity.

Yeah, I haven't heard the rest of the album yet but I'm not expecting much better. He has rarely done anything exceptional in my opinion, but to see someone who's been out there for so long writing a solo like that is just depressing. It literally sounded like a beginner/amateur guitarist wrote and played it.
Quote by Ht666
is tht u?

Clearly we have a Kirk Hammett fan in the house.
james > kirk
Plus he's probably better than you, so that means you also suck.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by PSM

Why wouldn't he be a fanboy of the greatest guitarist in the world. You do realise that his wah use symbolises the fluctuation between good and evil in the soul, don't you? It's pure poetry, behind technical brilliance. Nobody can use the Em Pentatonic as extensively as he can without being so skilled.

You're just ignorant.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by PSM

Didn't realise you were a Hammet fan...

meow meow meow PSM is homo

loolololol
Quote by PSM
Well, seeing as how I got some serious responses, yes to at least the interesting part. Who said I was trying to be productive? And I'm pretty sure Metallica solos fall into the "Metal" category, so I'll also say yes to the relevant part. And who's the troll? The guy creating a thread expressing his opinion on a new solo he just heard or the guy coming in and trashing the thread and OP just for the hell of it?

They also fit nicely in the conveniently-titled Metallica thread. Look at the important word in the title, here.

ONLY Metallica thread.

Which exists because threads like this are reallyx10^100 clucking annoying.
Quote by webbtje
They also fit nicely in the conveniently-titled Metallica thread. Look at the important word in the title, here.

Metallica ONLY thread.

Got Webby, don't join in with the flame war
Quote by webbtje

ONLY Metallica thread.

Which exists because threads like this are reallyx10^100 clucking annoying.

Yeah, it wasn't on the first page when I made the post and I'm not gonna go searching for a particular thread everytime I want to talk about a solo I heard, so it didn't happen. Obviously it's gonna get locked but I clearly don't care. I got it out of my system so it's on to (hopefully) better solos.
Quote by freddaahh
Why wouldn't he be a fanboy of the greatest guitarist in the world. You do realise that his wah use symbolises the fluctuation between good and evil in the soul, don't you? It's pure poetry, behind technical brilliance. Nobody can use the Em Pentatonic as extensively as he can without being so skilled.

You're just ignorant.

ahaha What was I thinking...
Quote by PSM
Yeah, it wasn't on the first page when I made the post and I'm not gonna go searching for a particular thread everytime I want to talk about a solo I heard, so it didn't happen. Obviously it's gonna get locked but I clearly don't care. I got it out of my system so it's on to (hopefully) better solos.

You seriously think there wasn't already a Metallica thread? For the best-selling metal band of all time?

And that it wouldn't piss us off magestically when someone decides to make his own thread for no coherent reason?
Quote by PSM

And noone wants to see a new thread when you want to talk about a solo.
You dont like kirk hammet, we dont care, make a blog or something.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Popsai
james > kirk
Plus he's probably better than you, so that means you also suck.

First statement: I agree 100%.

Second statement: I'm not gonna argue with you that I'm a "better" guitarist than Kirk Hammett because that would be pretty stupid considering his status in the rock/metal guitar world, but all I'm gonna say is that that wasn't quite the solo I would have written for that part. I'll leave it at that.
Quote by PSM

Man, you're so dumb.
Quote by PSM
ahaha What was I thinking...

He's just too deep for you, brah.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by webbtje
You seriously think there wasn't already a Metallica thread? For the best-selling metal band of all time?

And that it wouldn't piss us off magestically when someone decides to make his own thread for no coherent reason?

I know there is a Metallica thread. I scanned the first page and when I didn't see it, I started this one, knowing full well that it's going to get locked at some point. I really didn't feel like searching around for it and felt strongly enough about the solo that I decided to start a new thread. If you don't like it (here's a novel idea), don't click on it. It will get locked soon enough.
Page 1 of 2