Gentlemen:

I am currently playing a 14" x 5.5" snare, which I hate. It's simply too loud as with all my previous snares, does any drummer have any experience with 12" snares? I'm thinking of building one, have everything I need. Is it going to sound very different?

Sorry if it's the wrong forum.
Well I'm not a drummer, but i play in a "metal" band and I don't really like my drummers snare sounding like a piece of cardboard. I really like that high pitch "Fwap" with just a bit of bass on it...

but thats totally different from what you're asking... haha...
Quote by l33TgUiT@rd00d
Well I'm not a drummer, but i play in a "metal" band and I don't really like my drummers snare sounding like a piece of cardboard. I really like that high pitch "Fwap" with just a bit of bass on it...

but thats totally different from what you're asking... haha...

Rofl, tell him that. If you like that sound just take out all the muffling, and put a tiny bit of tape near the edge of the top head.
The 12' would give you more of a pop like sound. Think 311...... it may be slightly softer but I would take a look at your technique or the quality of your 14. Possibly you might be tuning your snare in a way which makes it a bit too loud.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
The 12' would give you more of a pop like sound. Think 311...... it may be slightly softer but I would take a look at your technique or the quality of your 14. Possibly you might be tuning your snare in a way which makes it a bit too loud.

I've tried every tuning, and my technique is fine(I play both traditional and matched).

And a Pop sound sounds good to me
as far as sound, I don't know what a 12"would sound like, but I'm sure it would sound different than a 14", I kinda don't think it would be quieter though. you might look at a piccollo(sp?) snare though, they are more "trebley" sounding, but it might not be quite as loud.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Quote by Cat Of Pain
Rofl, tell him that. If you like that sound just take out all the muffling, and put a tiny bit of tape near the edge of the top head.

haha no i mean i like how his sounds. he shaved it down and everything it sounds great. especially in the studio.
try a 13 by 7 they are poppy but deep. also dont make your own its insanely difficult to get the wood right.
Quote by Mezzo4te
try a 13 by 7 they are poppy but deep. also dont make your own its insanely difficult to get the wood right.

I have the wood right, my 12" pinstripe fits perfectly
Have you asked PDF or drummerworld forums? Surely they would have better answers. I don't really know how to make a drum quieter, maybe you could try not hitting it as hard.
Gir vs. Wild :a man with foreskin is like a mule with a spinning wheel, nobody knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it
It's basic physics. A smaller drum skin will reverberate less than a larger skin, therefore it won't be as loud and the frequency it produces will be higher. Otherwords, you'll get more pop.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!