song, and playing it on my acoustic and have been doing that for a while and wrote a few, using meaningful lyrics and adding chords to make catchy songs...and i have rececnty just bought a epiphone les paul standard and i want to make songs on that with a sort of oasis, stone roses, U2, the La's influence, but im only playing chords, beause frankly i dont know what the hell to do to apart from tht, do i make up my own tab or somethink like that now, i am also lead guitar, and i have a good intro made up from chords, but im sure you cant have chords all throught a song played with electric guitar so what am i supposed to do? is this where i make up a tune on tab? or something? and how do i solo and stuff, i need to know because i really want to progress in guitar playing, i know that i cant play the same as id play my acoustic can any 1 help

think any of you people can help out???
Last edited by WoodySafc at Dec 3, 2008,
read the sticky! its really really helpful

first your going to want to learn the major scale
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
You can paly whatever you like on electric. Just because its electric doesnt mean you can't play chords on it thats just being silly. If you want to get into lead playing then learn your pentatonic scales to start off with(google), and start training your ear. Working out simple melodys and solos from your favourite cds. I dont understand what you are saying about making a tune on tab. Tab is merely a quick way to write down a song....it has no relation to you getting better at lead playing. But at the end of the day you can play all chords on electric. Acoustic and electric shouldn't be treated like 2 seperate instruments.
Andy
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
You can paly whatever you like on electric. Just because its electric doesnt mean you can't play chords on it thats just being silly. If you want to get into lead playing then learn your pentatonic scales to start off with(google), and start training your ear. Working out simple melodys and solos from your favourite cds. I dont understand what you are saying about making a tune on tab. Tab is merely a quick way to write down a song....it has no relation to you getting better at lead playing. But at the end of the day you can play all chords on electric. Acoustic and electric shouldn't be treated like 2 seperate instruments.
Andy

well just take Morning Glory By OASIS for example, it has a slight part of tab at the start then goes into chords and then into the intro part, chords again then there is a part in the middle like a sort of solo part which would be shown by tab, i want to know i would make somethink like that solo part, is there something that i would use or learn to learn how to make something like that??? btw is that what u mean by scales

also heres a video of some guy playin morning glory to show you what i mean > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVipxk2vjT0&feature=related
Try this.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by victoryaloy
Try this.

im only a beginner so looking at the major scale on that i dont understand one bit at all... its all just mind blowing ???
Ah..I know what you mean now. Its just lead or single note playing...you wouldn't really describe it as tab since chord forms can also be tabbed. Not trying to patronize you just to avoid future confusion. Like I say learn the pentatonic scale inside out and start try to learn single note melodys/leads from songs you like by ear and try to make up your own. There is no shortcut. After you know the pentatonic scale etc then in future you can worry about the major scale. When it starts to click you will understand. Its not really that difficult...it seems mind blowing because its a case of 'cant see the forest for the trees' and this is to be expected in the beginning. Dont force yourself and just let it come naturally.
Andy
Intervals on the of the major scale are:

Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half

A whole step you would move up two frets
and
Half step would be one fret.

so on your lowest string you would play it open!

then move two frets up.
then two more frets up.
then one fret up.
2 frets
2 frets
2 frets
1 fret
then you would start over.

so i'm sure you know that the 5th fret of you lowest string(E) sound the same as the next lowest string(A) open.

thats because the string are tuned 5 half steps apart (except for string G-B which is only 4)

so you can take this into consideration and try a different way of playing it

lets start on the 3 fret of the lowest string.

you play that note
then move 2 frets up
notice that if you move two frets up again it will be the same pitch as if you were to move to the next lowest string and one fret down
eg. you started on the 3rd fret of the E string
moved up two to the 5th fret
now try playing the 2nd fret on the A string... same pitch as if you were to continue on the E string
so if you apply this concept you'll get this type of position:
|o|R|-|o|
|-|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|o|
|o|-|o|R|
|o|o|-|o|
|-|R|-|o|

R being your starting point.

and from there you can apply these intervals all over the fret board.

hope this helped

p.s. if anything is wrong someone let me know and i'll fix it.. i typed fast didn't put much thought into and i'm not motivated to reread it.. but i wouldn't want the TS to be misinformed.

Edit: if you know what the chords are post them and we'll be glad to let you know the key and what scale would work best.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Last edited by victoryaloy at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
Ah..I know what you mean now. Its just lead or single note playing...you wouldn't really describe it as tab since chord forms can also be tabbed. Not trying to patronize you just to avoid future confusion. Like I say learn the pentatonic scale inside out and start try to learn single note melodys/leads from songs you like by ear and try to make up your own. There is no shortcut. After you know the pentatonic scale etc then in future you can worry about the major scale. When it starts to click you will understand. Its not really that difficult...it seems mind blowing because its a case of 'cant see the forest for the trees' and this is to be expected in the beginning. Dont force yourself and just let it come naturally.
Andy

thanks for your help everyone im gradually stating to get it...

so your saying that part in morning glory is made up of playing single notes on the strings

and the notes on the strings of a fretboard look like this http://www.brendanburns.com/Lessons/pdf/guitargifnote.gif

so say i play notes on there, different one higher or lower on the neck to get different sounds then begin to form the notes into a melody/tune and sort of create a solo...am i correct??

also what will the pentatonic scale help with, speed??
Quote by WoodySafc

and the notes on the strings of a fretboard look like this http://www.brendanburns.com/Lessons/pdf/guitargifnote.gif

Yep!
Quote by WoodySafc

so say i play notes on there, different one higher or lower on the neck to get different sounds then begin to form the notes into a melody/tune and sort of create a solo...am i correct??

Thats correct!
There are certain scales that have been formed as a guide to help you "sound good"(for lack of a better term).
Quote by WoodySafc

also what will the pentatonic scale help with, speed??

Most people will agree with me when i say pentatonic is the easiest scale they've learned. This being because it has five notes instead of 7.
Also the pentatonic scale is designed so that it omits 2 tones that tends to make it sound "less appealing"(of lack of a better term.. again)
Its used very frequently because.. well, it works.
People are use to it, enjoy it, etc.

To all theory buffs: I'm sure there are several things above that are debatable.. but for the sake of the TS being a beginner lets try to keep it simple.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
A scale is a scale....its notes of a particular key. And yes thats correct, but surely you knew that playing notes higher and lower on the fretboard is how melodys are formed.
Andy
Quote by victoryaloy
Yep!

Thats correct!
There are certain scales that have been formed as a guide to help you "sound good"(for lack of a better term).

Most people will agree with me when i say pentatonic is the easiest scale they've learned. This being because it has five notes instead of 7.
Also the pentatonic scale is designed so that it omits 2 tones that tends to make it sound "less appealing"(of lack of a better term.. again)
Its used very frequently because.. well, it works.
People are use to it, enjoy it, etc.

To all theory buffs: I'm sure there are several things above that are debatable.. but for the sake of the TS being a beginner lets try to keep it simple.

so your saying if i learn all these notes are the major scale and if i learn that id be able to play parts of tunes and solo's?
Quote by WoodySafc
so your saying if i learn all these notes are the major scale and if i learn that id be able to play parts of tunes and solo's?

yep.. the majority of songs you'll hear!!

And if the song doesn't use the major scale then by knowing the major scale you'll be able to figure out how to play the new scale!
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Quote by victoryaloy
yep.. the majority of songs you'll hear!!

And if the song doesn't use the major scale then by knowing the major scale you'll be able to figure out how to play the new scale!

Nice 1, so your saying i would be able to figure out my favourite songs knowing the major scale, and the major scale is that link i sent with all them notes on the strings of the fretboard, and that i can also make my own songs?
Quote by WoodySafc
Nice 1, so your saying i would be able to figure out my favourite songs knowing the major scale, and the major scale is that link i sent with all them notes on the strings of the fretboard, and that i can also make my own songs?

the yellow notes from your link are the notes of the C major scale.

I learned the major scale by using "box" shapes..
like the one i posted above.. but its very important to know that scales are not boxes, that the boxes are just an easy reference.

I started out with the first position:
|o|R|-|o|
|-|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|o|
|o|-|o|R|
|o|o|-|o|
|-|R|-|o|

the R's are the Root note

after i mastered that
i moved on to this one:
|o|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|R|-|
|o|-|o|-|-|
|R|-|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|
|X|-|o|o|-|

the X is the fret 2 frets above the R in the first position

so if i combine the 2 i get
|o|R|-|o|-|o|o|-|
|-|o|-|o|-|o|R|-|
|o|-|o|o|-|o|-|-|
|o|-|o|R|-|o|-|o|
|o|o|-|o|-|o|-|o|
|-|R|-|o|-|o|o|-|

once you get that down the sticky has the rest of the shapes.

also to relate this to the like you gave me you would look at the 8th Fret on the E string and notice its a C.

so you would use C as the root note and if i did everything correctly then positions i gave you should line up with the yellow notes.

Edit: If you have any question or if your still confused just ask!
Also learning the major scale will take some time.. but trust me, when you get the first few possitions down the rest will be a breeze. And it is essential to know if you want to become a decent lead guitarist.. or just a decent guitarist.
It makes everything more clear.

Also another piece of advice would be to learn the positions by playing them over a simple chord progression. I spent about several weeks trying to memorize the major scale by just memorizing it.. going back and fowrth and back and forth.. but then i decided to just mess around with the first posision over a progression then i eager to add on the second position then the third, etc.. what i'm saying is that it'll be most easiest and fun to learn it my playing it over some kind of progression.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
i dont really understand alot that is wrote above, sorry, i really want to though i want to become better than the best i can be and i was also told that learning major scale should be learned by just struming the strings individually rather than using shapes on them, also are you saying that if i learn the notes say by making melodys and remebering that way it would be easier doing that then tryin to remember everythink?
Quote by WoodySafc
i dont really understand alot that is wrote above, sorry, i really want to though i want to become better than the best i can be and i was also told that learning major scale should be learned by just struming the strings individually rather than using shapes on them, also are you saying that if i learn the notes say by making melodys and remebering that way it would be easier doing that then tryin to remember everythink?

alright..

first things first.. do you understand this?

|o|R|-|o|
|-|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|o|
|o|-|o|R|
|o|o|-|o|
|-|R|-|o|

what this resembles is a section of the fret board..
so:
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

the ---- represent the strings
and the "|" represents the frets

[color="red"]|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[/color]

the red part repersents the E string

now for the frets
|[color="red"]---|[/color]---|[color="green"]---|[/color]---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

the red is the first fret on the highest string
the green is the 3rd fret on the highest string

alright if you already knew that sorry for waisting your time lol

now on to the posistion i showed you

|---|---|---|-o-|-R-|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|-o-|---|-o-|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|-o-|---|-o-|-R-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|-o-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|-R-|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

in this case the first note you play will be on the 5th fret of the E(lowest string)

|---|---|---|---|[color="red"]-R-[/color]|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

next note 2 frets up

|---|---|---|---|-R-|---|[color="red"]-o-[/color]|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

next note

|---|---|---|[color="red"]-o-[/color]|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

... i think you get the point

just follow the pattern..

if you already know that sorry for waisting even more time.

about the whole "just struming the strings individually"
thats what your doing but there is a pattern of intervals to follow to play notes in key.
you dont have to play any notes in any order but those are where the notes of that key are located.

edit: also to answer another queston.. yes, most people will agree that the best way of learning is actually playing melodies using the scale, rather than just playing the scale back and forth.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
woahh i feel like my head is gonna explode lol...okay i understand the whole fretboard thing im used to reading taba nd stuff so i understand but i dont have a clue what the o and R stand for. also i dont understand what you mean by this:

you dont have to play any notes in any order but those are where the notes of that key are located.

but were making progress lol im uderstanding a few things
Quote by WoodySafc
woahh i feel like my head is gonna explode lol...okay i understand the whole fretboard thing im used to reading taba nd stuff so i understand but i dont have a clue what the o and R stand for. also i dont understand what you mean by this:

but were making progress lol im uderstanding a few things

the o's and R's are just what frets the notes are on.
its more of an over view of your guitar rather than tab
i put the R's there because its what you base the rest of the scale off of and the o's are just o's because idk.. they could be anything they could be x's or anything. But they resemble where the notes of the scale are!

Quick little theory lesson:
like i said above the Intervals on the of the major scale are:

this is what makes up the major scale

you start with the Root note (the R)
**the root note give you the starting point to use to base the other notes off of
(its also what key your song will be in.. but, that will be talked about later)

not you take your Root (R)

|---|---|---|---|[color="red"]-R-[/color]|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

then move a whole step/2 frets---this gives you the 2nd note of the scale

|---|---|---|---|-R-|---|[color="red"]-o-[/color]|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

third note is a whole step away..
now you can either go 2 more frets up or to the next little dot..
if you play these two notes you'll notice they're the same.

|---|---|---|[color="red"]-o-[/color]|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|-R-|---|-o-|---|[color="red"]---[/color]|---|---|---|---|---|---|

so for convience well use the one with the little dot. lol

now the forth note of the scale is a half step.. one fret

|---|---|---|-o-|[color="red"]-o-[/color]|---|-o-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

and if you keep doing this you'll see how going:
lines up with all the dots.

now don't get confused by the next diagram i'm going to show you..
its the same as the one above but instead of dots i'm going to replace them with the note in the scale

to refresh:
-you have your Root
-then you move a whole step(two frets) to the second note
which is 2(obviously)
-then a whole step(equivailent to 2 frets but remember for the ease of playing well use the next little dot)
which is 3(obviously)
-then a half step (one fret)
which is 4
-whole step (equivailent to 2 frets)
to 5
to 6
to 7
-half step
back to the Root!!!!!!!

so

|---|---|---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|-6-|---|-7-|-R-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|-R-|---|-2-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

sorry if i confused you more.. the root is the place you base the rest of the scale off of.

the tab for playing this in order would go as followed:

------------------------------------------------4--5---7--------
----------------------------------------5----7------------------
------------------------------4--6--7---------------------------
------------------4---6---7-------------------------------------
---------4--5--7------------------------------------------------
--5--7----------------------------------------------------------
Quote by joshjhasarrived
see i dont understand the whole concept of it and stuff i know that the root is where i start off and i know that a whole means 2 frets either side of the root and a half is one fret either side the root?...is that right, and i can read that tab easily and understand that very easily, just i dont get the whole cencept of this W W H W W W H thing and what even is it? what do i need it for? do i need it to make songs? and if i do, do i have to follow a pattern to make the song? im just still confused on that

have you not got a video that could explain it, coz if i could see it then i maybes understand what your saying???
Last edited by WoodySafc at Dec 4, 2008,
A video won't help, it's not really a visual thing. Best thing to do is start at the beginning, have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ please follow Steven Seagulls advice and look at the crusade articles they are very helpful

Also kudos to victoryaloy for putting in that much effort trying to help.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
^ please follow Steven Seagulls advice and look at the crusade articles they are very helpful

Also kudos to victoryaloy for putting in that much effort trying to help.

haha yeah a really appreciate what victoryaloy is doing, but its hard to explain and he said if i dont understand jsut ask him, he been very paient and helpful cheers man... so where is this crusade article like?
Quote by WoodySafc
im only a beginner so looking at the major scale on that i dont understand one bit at all... its all just mind blowing ???

you can at least read tabs right? if not i suggest you learn, there are many informative lessons right on this website that can teach you that. then once you got that down learn the major and minor pentatonic scales, then once you get that down go learn the modes and learn how to apply them. there are plenty of lessons to teach you all this. once you learn all that one of the things i like to do is just get somthin that can record sound and play a cord progession for a couple minutes. after that figure out what key its in then pick a scale or mode and just screw around for a while.
The Crusades. Part 1
The Crusades. Part 2: Intervals (this will probaly clear up the WWHWWWH part)
The Crusades. Part 3
The Crusades. Part 4: Scales
These should cover most of what your looking for! He can probably explain it a lot better than i can. lol
I think there's 11 or 12 parts total, but you'll want to absorb these first.

Come here if you have any questions!
or if you get that down and want some tips about certain things you can do to spice it up!
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Quote by victoryaloy
The Crusades. Part 1
The Crusades. Part 2: Intervals (this will probaly clear up the WWHWWWH part)
The Crusades. Part 3
The Crusades. Part 4: Scales
These should cover most of what your looking for! He can probably explain it a lot better than i can. lol
I think there's 11 or 12 parts total, but you'll want to absorb these first.

Come here if you have any questions!
or if you get that down and want some tips about certain things you can do to spice it up!

cheers man i'll look these up, cheers for what your doing man

Quote by Veroth
you can at least read tabs right? if not i suggest you learn, there are many informative lessons right on this website that can teach you that. then once you got that down learn the major and minor pentatonic scales, then once you get that down go learn the modes and learn how to apply them. there are plenty of lessons to teach you all this. once you learn all that one of the things i like to do is just get somthin that can record sound and play a cord progession for a couple minutes. after that figure out what key its in then pick a scale or mode and just screw around for a while.

also i can read tab, ive been learning the minor petatoniccs, what are modes?
or will it tell me in this whole crusade thing??? if so i'll just read tht