I am getting a new amp (30 watt) with about £140/$220 to spend. Does anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking mabye a Roland Cube 30, Line 6 Spider III 30 or mabye a marshall mgdfx30? I like playing metal a lot but want to be able to play a really good clean sound, so a versatile amp.

What do you suggest?
Avoid the Spider III or the MGDFX30 like they were the plague.

I'm not a huge fan of the cube either, but it's way better than the other two, and for your price range and musical style, it's absolutely the way to go.

It does have a fantastic clean, I will give it that.
Although I avoid modeling amps check out the Peavey Vyper....it wasn't that bad of an amp.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
If you are low on money the Spider III is the best bet. You can get NUMEROUS amounts of sounds for a cheap price. The clean tone is excellent IMO, and the "Insane" tone is really great for gainy metal tones. Sure it's not gonna sound exactly like the amps its trying to emulate but it comes pretty close for the price you pay. Ignore the haters...
Stuffing corpses full of shit and faith
They bloviate about a future beyond the moon
To bring about another planets doom
To discover peaceful life
And beat a war-drum to it's tune
Unless my prayers are answered
And our end is coming soon.
I have heard good things of the spider 3 but so many bad. I'm confused lol.
Quote by Joe_Crow
I have heard good things of the spider 3 but so many bad. I'm confused lol.

The safe bet is to trust the majority vote. What's to be confused about. You hear more bad then good, then it's probably bad.

The spider III and the marshall mg are probably the two worst sounding amps you can buy. Sure, the spider has tons of different settings and effects, but they're all completely lifeless and fizzy.

The cube may have less options, but everything it's got sounds way better than a spider.
+1 to the Vypyr
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic
A Vypyr or a Cube would be your best bet. The V18 isn't bad either but you'll need a pedal in order to play metal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
A Vypyr or a Cube would be your best bet. The V18 isn't bad either but you'll need a pedal in order to play metal.

+1
I have played on numerous amps and own a Spider III. The sound is most definitely not lifeless and fizzy. The "Clean" channel can be tweaked with either chorus/flange, phaser and tremolo on one knob, and sweep echo, tape echo and reverb on the other. Using these with clean can get you a pretty sweet tone. The crunch tone sounds like an old Marshall amp. The metal tone is the only downside to the amp IMO, but that might be due to my **** pickups. It's great for rhythm but palm mutes sound like **** and it can kill sustain. The "Insane" channel is my FAVORITE part about the amp. High gain and incredible sustain make it perfect for solos, rhythm and everything else. And if you pay $100 dollars more for the 75w model you get hundreds of more sounds.
Quote by mbsnowdog
I have played on numerous amps and own a Spider III. The sound is most definitely not lifeless and fizzy. The "Clean" channel can be tweaked with either chorus/flange, phaser and tremolo on one knob, and sweep echo, tape echo and reverb on the other. Using these with clean can get you a pretty sweet tone. The crunch tone sounds like an old Marshall amp. The metal tone is the only downside to the amp IMO, but that might be due to my **** pickups. It's great for rhythm but palm mutes sound like **** and it can kill sustain. The "Insane" channel is my FAVORITE part about the amp. High gain and incredible sustain make it perfect for solos, rhythm and everything else. And if you pay $100 dollars more for the 75w model you get hundreds of more sounds.

The effects are limited (you can only control the level, not the speed), and the clean tone is bah at best.
Yes, the "insane" channel is doubly named, but it lacks the depth that the other modelers offer, although they too are limited but not as much.

I'm not bandwagoning, I've played it, compared it, had to listen to an annoying band member rant about 'how awesome it was' when all you could hear was feedback and a gain hum.

TS, I suggest the Vypyr or even the Vox Valvetronix (dependent on what metal you play). These amps have much better cleans, and the Vypyr definitely can handle high gain well. The Vox is a more classic voiced amp, but you could get Metallica out of it.
Quote by dudey5691
The effects are limited (you can only control the level, not the speed), and the clean tone is bah at best.
Yes, the "insane" channel is doubly named, but it lacks the depth that the other modelers offer, although they too are limited but not as much.

I'm not bandwagoning, I've played it, compared it, had to listen to an annoying band member rant about 'how awesome it was' when all you could hear was feedback and a gain hum.

TS, I suggest the Vypyr or even the Vox Valvetronix (dependent on what metal you play). These amps have much better cleans, and the Vypyr definitely can handle high gain well. The Vox is a more classic voiced amp, but you could get Metallica out of it.

I wasn't aware that the Vypryr was a modeling amp. That does look like the best bet. About the feedback- are you sure that wasn't the guitar? I really get no feedback from my amp. You should probably go try out both but it seems the best bets are either the Peavey Vypyr or the Line 6 Spider III. From here on out it's more about personal preference.
A Vypyr costs the exact same as a Spider III and sounds much better. And its not that the Spider's are bad, but the Vypyr and Cubes are much better for the price. Thats the only reason people here bash them.
Vox Valvetronix IMO. They're hybrid, and have got in-built effects if that's what you're after.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*