Poll: Should they be banned?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should they be banned?
OMAM yes
16 6%
OMAM no
253 88%
TKAM yes
14 5%
TKAM no
239 84%
have not read them
45 16%
don't know
16 6%
Voters: 286.
Page 1 of 3
Ok so theres this girl in my school and apparently she is really sheltered. Her parents wanted Of Mice And Men to be banned because of the profanity in it. And some minister guy wanted To Kill A Mockingbird banned. Should they be?

No, of course not!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Censorship - American Nazi Style.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
i think that people who ban books are crazy. why ban a book? You physically have to read it to see the swears and plus these two books are great books that everyone should read. I bet that girls parents dont stop her from listening to the radio or watching tv, which are much worse than whats in the majority of books.

If you have a huge problem dont read them!!
I say we ban banning stuff, I suppose though that would have to be banned aswell so we'd be banning banning banning stuff. But then that would have to be banned ... I think the lesson here is; no matter who you are, shutup.

That's a hard lesson to enforce though, seeing as we could never teach it.
Quote by crm7290
i think that people who ban books are crazy. why ban a book? You physically have to read it to see the swears and plus these two books are great books that everyone should read. I bet that girls parents dont stop her from listening to the radio or watching tv, which are much worse than whats in the majority of books.

If you have a huge problem dont read them!!

Actually the parents don't let them watch anything rated over G.
Foo! Both of those books were already banned...and the un banned.... hahahaha

Of mice and men has a little cusing like goddamnit and **** but what they were worried about more was n*gger in it.
wouldn't affect me in any way, i did/am doing heroes for gcse, but i don't see why they should be banned
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
No, you have to learn about some of the less desirable aspects of the world sooner or later. If she doesn't get exposed to a it now, then she will later, and so her parents are basically throwing her in the deep end. Only, the deep end doesn't do it justice as a metaphor, they're really dropping her in the middle of an ocean.

Censoring things generally is a little bit retarded anyway, let alone perfectly good literature because it happens to accurately represent certain characters in the real world.

I bet those people haven't even read those books. And if they did, they probably missed the fucking point.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I suppose they should ban Maus too because it's too graphic in the descriptions and illustrations in the Holocaust.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
I love To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Men and Mice is a fkn wicked book aswell......I heard this before and I can see why they want them banned but........

NO!
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| I LIKE PURPLE|||||||||||||||||

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Wigert
Censorship - American Nazi Style.

+1000000000000000000000000
Censorship=ignorance and in this case ignorance =/= bliss.
absolutely not. slap those parents upside the head or something. **** slapping them would be better
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
i think books shouldnt be banned period.
if you dont like whats in them dont read it.
freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.
and just because you dont like what someone else is say doesnt mean it should be outlawed.
because the people themselves trying to ban the books are exterciseing their freedom of speech to do so.

ughh people are just so f*cked up now days

ill never falter.ill stand my ground.

yes, i am a girl.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I actually can't think of a single reason why a work of fiction should be banned right now.

Because it's unfathomably shit? That's a much better reason to ban something than swearing or whatnot.
if we did that we would have to make other intellectual stuff banned for the same reason. so no.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
If Mein Kempf (sp?) is on sale in certain places, why are people worried about a couple of swear words in a novel? I read a novel recently and the lead female character graphically described her first period and that only added to the realism of the book and it was a great read.
Quote by kaybee
i think books shouldnt be banned period.
if you dont like whats in them dont read it.
freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.
and just because you dont like what someone else is say doesnt mean it should be outlawed.
because the people themselves trying to ban the books are exterciseing their freedom of speech to do so.

ughh people are just so f*cked up now days

It's not violating freedom of speech if they just don't want their children forced to read it as part of a school curriculum. (I still don't agree though for the reasons I gave earlier.)
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Because it's unfathomably shit? That's a much better reason to ban something than swearing or whatnot.I'd like to own a book shop like Bernard Black in Black Books and refuse to sell people books cus they're shit :p
Quote by daytripper75
i haven't read them, but i don't think any book should be banned.

From my own experience, Of Mice and Men has 'flop' (old slang verb for sex), 'nigger' (this was also a early 20th century novella) and 'damn' in it.

No book should EVER be banned, let alone for that reason.
yay for multiple choice poll!
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Friend of mine came to university after a life of girls only schools (in Belgium that's pretty rare). Her parents didn't want her to mix with boys etc.
She's had many unsuccesful relationships and has been pretty unhappy.
She has a very good one now.

What I mean here is that by overprotecting, you're only postponing whatever you wanna protect them from. Ppl should work on reducing murder and horrid dizeases, not some stupid swearwords in a book...
Also, her parents sound like aristocrat ppl who don't wanna mix with the "common ppl" because they feel that they are too good/rich for that. They do not understand that that language etc is part of a (sub)culture which means the use of those words can add a perspective or meaning to the book. OR they think that you have to be old and mature to understand such things and (as many ppl) underestimate the mental ripeness of their children. Result: their daughter will ppb rebel sooner or later...
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Course not. I loved To Kill A Mockingbird. Besides, just because it says n*gger doesn't mean it should be banned. It's proberly a good thing, at least it shows how it is an offensive word instead of learning the word in some song about 'bitches' and 'ho's'.
X
I wish we could ban stupid people.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
No, they shouldn't.

And TS is the first Dec. '08er I've seen.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by PlayMadness
No, they shouldn't.

whoa...
He's my 1st too!
cool
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Quote by PlayMadness
No, they shouldn't.

I've seen 2 or 3 already. They've all been banned.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 3