Has any one just put 6 strings on a 12 string and used it as a classical?

And if yes.

How was it?
aww, terrible waste... and the tension would be aweful off too:S
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
aww, terrible waste... and the tension would be aweful off too:S

Not if you used thicker strings because the second pair of strings for 12 strings or so skinny that i don't think they make that much tension
It wouldn't work well.

The tension is a problem here. Steel strings(especially a 12 string) have about 150-200 lbs of string tension in order to transfer the energy to the soundboard. Classical strings have about 50lbs. The classical strings don't have enough energy to drive the soundboard.

Match this in with the fact that 12 strings are more heavily braced and you have an equation for failure.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Made Of Metal
www.12streetmusic.com

the guy here plays a modified Lowden 12 string that sounds brilliant for the classical stuff he plays on it.

right but not with classical strings.
its a horrible idea.
like captivate said theres not enough tension to produce any good kind of sound.
it doesnt matter that it uses some thinner strings, remember that thats in addition to the other strings.

"I have better things to do...
Like play with my balls."

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Quote by Ellron
Not if you used thicker strings because the second pair of strings for 12 strings or so skinny that i don't think they make that much tension

classical strings don't vary very much in string thickness.
why would you ask the question if your just gonna argue when people are trying to help you?

"I have better things to do...
Like play with my balls."

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

[quote="'[DookieShoes"]']right but not with classical strings.
its a horrible idea.
like captivate said theres not enough tension to produce any good kind of sound.
it doesnt matter that it uses some thinner strings, remember that thats in addition to the other strings.

Oh yeah, that's a **** idea.

I should have clarified.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs