Hi everyone,

Just bought a Ibanez GRG170DX today, and playing it though my Fat Rat 30 amp, but the distortion is pretty crap (I think anyway). How are these amps rated? What amp would you recommend for decent bedroom quality/volume. Something on the cheap if possible!

Cheers,
Steven
Last edited by Steven001 at Dec 3, 2008,
Thanks for the welcome

...Well, I'm just a beginner, but I like Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc... also stuff like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, just a big variety.

Well, ideally I don't want to spend very much, I have money available, but want to keep the budget low as I'm just starting out. What are your thoughts on my current amp? (The FatRat).
Honestly, I've never heard of it. I couldn't find reviews on it either.

A good bedroom amp with lots of versatility is the vox ad30vt, or it's little brother the vox ad15vt.
Also worth a look is the peavey vypyr 30 or the peavey vypyr 15

I don't know if that's more than you're willing to pay though, or it will make a huge difference, having never played the fat rat.
i googled the amp...it's probably just like the standard jam pack amps that sound pretty terrible really...

i can highly recommend the voxAD30VT with high regards. the tone will be tons better and it comes w/ many FX that are REALLY tweakable. i loved mine. it'll last you a while too. look for a used one and i'm sure you could snag it for $150 or somewhere around there. many people sell the 50 watt one for $200. or just go w/ the 15 watt one for even cheaper, but the bigger the speaker, the fuller the sound and more rounded out it'll be....so i say the 30.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Well, I've never heard of it before but it goes for 89 pounds... therefore, most likely not good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yea, mind you, there's no amp under $150 that's gonna sound anything special these days...

the Epiphone Valve jr. used to be $100 i think, years ago, but now it's gone up.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by pak1351
Honestly, I've never heard of it. I couldn't find reviews on it either.

A good bedroom amp with lots of versatility is the vox ad30vt, or it's little brother the vox ad15vt.
Also worth a look is the peavey vypyr 30 or the peavey vypyr 15

I don't know if that's more than you're willing to pay though, or it will make a huge difference, having never played the fat rat.

Thanks, well, the fat one distortion sounds crap. When I was testing the guitar out on the store today, it sounded brilliant, but now I'm a bit disappointed, and it's because of the amp. It has an overdrive selector, but even when on full, sounds dull and not "grungey" at all.

As I said, I'm just a beginner, so don't want to spent a lot of money on an amp. The ones you posted seem good (although a little more than I wanted to spend). Which one of the two would you recommend?
this looks like exactly what you should get.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483551

$200 is NOT a lot to spend on an amp, and this will certainly last you a while. i used my vox (mind you it was the older version) for about 3 years before i ever got my first tube amp, and it is still a fun amp to play on. do yourself a favor and either look for a used AD30VT or get this sucker. either way, you'll be VERY happy.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
+1, I'd get a used ad30vt. In my opinion, the 10" speaker is worth it.
Lacking that, the 15 is a good amp too, and would probably be a big improvement over your current one.