I do a lot of recording lately, and gigging, and I always end up getting put through a random DI each time, and it seems to be affecting my tone. So I'm thinking perhaps I should invest in my own, or at least learn to understand them, as I actually know very little about them haha.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Sansamp Tech 21, and I've also heard it can be used as a pre-amp or an overdrive, and that would also be nice. So would someone mind explaining the use of DI to me sort of in-depth, make any reccomendations on a purchase?

Probably seems a bit daft, but thanks in advance!
What amp do you own? If your amp has a 3-pin XLR jack on it you can go straight through too the PA with your tone intact. If its still being changed you know the sound engineer is messing with your tone.

The sansamp sounds pretty cool, probably is some nice bit of kit. I'm just not too sure of it. What about a line 6 bass pod PRO, can have different head and cab simulators. Also, when D.I'ed it can have a number of different mic placments to get a different sound.

I'm sure John Swift has one.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
I use a Laney RGB500. Pretty sure it has the 3-pin jack, our engineer just always reccomends going through a DI anyway. I've heard a lot about the Line 6 actually, I'm just not reallyyy a Line 6 fan. That being said I've only tried their amps, so I'm just being bias here haha.
I'm not a line 6 guy either. There is alot of Effects on the line6 POD, maybe not worth the price you pay, as you won't use them, well atleast i wouldn't. There is a rackmountable version of the sansamp which i'd be more interest in.

Yes, your amp does have a D.I. It even says so. Maybe try running through that on your next sound check and have a listen too what it's like, you never know.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
The reason I had interest in the sansamp pedal was the programmable stomp-box like version. That seemed veryyy useful.

Yeah, I will do. Thanks. =)
I own the programmable version. and yes, its a very handy tool. It depends on your set up though. as has been said, you can DI from your amp. if what interests you is the fact you can have three different settings at a stomp of the foot, then buy one. The tone out of them is lovely, its all analogue. Nice. The drive is growly when cranked.

I have it set to a nice motown kind of tone, a slap tone and a nice fuzzy kind of tone.

yeah, i love it.

They're not cheap. but you've heard the politicians, spend spend spend!!!
I hate using a DI when I play, because the chain is Bass>> DI input>> Output to amp>> Line out to board. You have no control over your tone, it's completely at the mercy of the sound guy. I like to either mic the Fender amp I use or use the built in output on my other amp. So yeah, I'd recommend either miking or using that built in out. That way the EQ on your amp actually does something for the house tone.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Applehead
I own the programmable version. and yes, its a very handy tool. It depends on your set up though. as has been said, you can DI from your amp. if what interests you is the fact you can have three different settings at a stomp of the foot, then buy one. The tone out of them is lovely, its all analogue. Nice. The drive is growly when cranked.

I have it set to a nice motown kind of tone, a slap tone and a nice fuzzy kind of tone.

yeah, i love it.

They're not cheap. but you've heard the politicians, spend spend spend!!!

Yeah that's pretty much what interests me. Guess I want a pre-amp more so than a DI. This looks a lot more appealing than the Line 6 so I think I'll go for this. Would I just hook it up through DI input, or does it go through an effects loop or something?

Thanks guys!
You can run it through your effects loop or just use it as a normal stompbox. You don't have to keep your EQ flat.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
A DI takes the signal from your bass and ddirectly inputs it into something else like a soundsystem/PA.

Now everday ordinary DIs do just that, (take your signal and run it straight to the sound system without your signal going into an amp head or cabinet)

But there are DIs, like the sansamp one, that have a pre-amp in them that you can use to tweak your tone and eq it and do all of that other sonic sound shaping things.
So your signal from your bass runs through the pre-amp and then staight into the system.

Some DI's with preamps, like the sansamp one, have effects as well. and are added to your signal before going to the system.

Basicaly it eliminates the need for a cab/amp setup or if you do not have a cab/amp system you're fine with just the DI.

Many players I know only bring a DI to a gig and run it into the system and just use the systems monitors or use IEMs

EDIT: I just read through the rest of the thread. Most amp heads have a DI in them,which when used, takes your signal that came from your bass and that went through your amp and runs into the house system.

SO you could still use the DI with your amp/cab setup. Your signal just runs through it and then goes to your amp and then goes wherever you want it to, to either just your speakers, or your head can also be DI-ed and ran in iho the house system and your sound will come through your cab as well as the house system.

Love the Low end
Last edited by Zeelod at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by Zeelod
A DI takes the signal from your bass and ddirectly inputs it into something else like a soundsystem/PA.

Now everday ordinary DIs do just that, (take your signal and run it straight to the sound system without your signal going into an amp head or cabinet)

But there are DIs, like the sansamp one, that have a pre-amp in them that you can use to tweak your tone and eq it and do all of that other sonic sound shaping things.
So your signal from your bass runs through the pre-amp and then staight into the system.

Some DI's with preamps, like the sansamp one, have effects as well. and are added to your signal before going to the system.

Basicaly it eliminates the need for a cab/amp setup or if you do not have a cab/amp system you're fine with just the DI.

Many players I know only bring a DI to a gig and run it into the system and just use the systems monitors or use IEMs

My brother's bassist does that. People sometimes look confused, "olol, where is his amp?" Some people don't even notice he has no rig.. I think he sounds fine.

(though I have no knowledge of what DI box he uses)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
As both a sound guy and a bassist, I thoroughly recommend the Sansamp BDDI. The analogue circuitry will make any sound guy smile with joy and it will make the bassist happy because he has a simple rig that he can still control the tone of.

If you play a lot of shows where everyone runs through the system and the monitors are nice enough to handle bass, then the BDDI might just be for you. I've got one in the mail, so I recommend it.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
The only issue i have found is the monitoring.. i think i am gonna go in-ear for that. anyone recommend some? price not an issue, just want a good, solid solution
I use a Behringer BDI21. Before people scream out the usual rubbish, I bought it because of 2 things.

1. The price

It cost me £25 so if it's broke then I won't be upset. I'd be upset if I had a £170 pedal that broke.

2. The sound

Listen to this and spot the difference: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294957

Is the Sansamp worth over 6x the price? I'll let you decide.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I hate using a DI when I play, because the chain is Bass>> DI input>> Output to amp>> Line out to board. You have no control over your tone, it's completely at the mercy of the sound guy.

lol... I always love this type of viewpoint, as if the soundguy is there to screw you over. You are best off having your tone controlled by the soundguy. Can you tell what sounds best from the back of the venue whilst you're on stage?

As always on DI threads, the EBS MicroBass II is a great tool. It's a DI but even more and has been fantastic for many other uses, i.e. headphone output means I can practise using my PC speakers in front of my computer, the twin channel allows two basses/people to use the same amp. Check out www.ebs.bass.se for more info.
Quote by Stan_da_man
I use a Behringer BDI21. Before people scream out the usual rubbish, I bought it because of 2 things.

1. The price

It cost me £25 so if it's broke then I won't be upset. I'd be upset if I had a £170 pedal that broke.

2. The sound

Listen to this and spot the difference: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294957

Is the Sansamp worth over 6x the price? I'll let you decide.

Wow...I'm Shocked! If I Hadn't Just Bought an MXR bass D.I., I'd be all Over That behringer!
Quote by Applehead
The only issue i have found is the monitoring.. i think i am gonna go in-ear for that. anyone recommend some? price not an issue, just want a good, solid solution

Like just normal headphones kind of in ear? If so, i have these, but if money isn't an issue I can highly recommend these.
Quote by Gofretless
Wow...I'm Shocked! If I Hadn't Just Bought an MXR bass D.I., I'd be all Over That behringer!

Is peace of mind worth 6x the price of a Behringer? I think so.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Is peace of mind worth 6x the price of a Behringer? I think so.

You blow your money then dude, while I laugh at you.
I've not played -that- particular Behringer but my general, unfortunate, experience with them is that they break very quickly. I'd be surprised if anything by Behringer ever lasted more than 6 months without needing some kind of repair.

I'd like the peace of mind, really.
I have had my BDI21 for 2 1/2 years and there has been no problems at all.
Quote by Stan_da_man
You blow your money then dude, while I laugh at you.

...as the crowd laughs at you because your Behringer pedal gave out while performing and you frantically reroute your effects loop cables after a bassless song or two. Although Behringer's market appeal to those "I'm smug because I saved money" people like you seems to be paying off. 25 pounds at a time.

Personally I'd rather get laughed at by a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about than a crowd of music fans.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
behringer is kind of like the lottery. sometimes you win.. but most of the while, your out the cost of your ticket
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i just bought this little black box today. still tweaking it a bit, but i'm REALLY liking the sounds i'm getting out of this guy.

since most of the people here explained how a DI box works already, i'll just out and out reccommend you trying this box out. I'm using it for metal mainly. but its has a swiss army knife type of versatility to it. you could probably coax a wide variety of sounds out of it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by thefitz
...as the crowd laughs at you because your Behringer pedal gave out while performing and you frantically reroute your effects loop cables after a bassless song or two. Although Behringer's market appeal to those "I'm smug because I saved money" people like you seems to be paying off. 25 pounds at a time.

Personally I'd rather get laughed at by a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about than a crowd of music fans.

I record with that little fella when I'm at places that I don't want to haul a bass amp to and it really does sound fine. But I'm with ya, I wouldn't be in a live situation with almost anything behringer.
Quote by thefitz

And again...

"I have had my BDI21 for 2 1/2 years and there has been no problems at all."
Let us stop the back and forth with Behringer. Some people have Behringer kit that has serverd them well, but most reports are of sub standard quality. So if you have one that has done you well, you are lucky. Well done. You saved money. You are laughing at everyone who paid loads for the same thing.
Quote by thefitz

oh dang, nice burn thefitz

I totally agree with you.

Uhm, revelance....

I like DI's with a tube pre-amp.

Love the Low end
I use my SWR SM-900 has a DI. There's a DI out that you can use pre or post EQ and the tube in the preamp makes a difference.
Quote by Cody_Grey102