Hey G&GA.
I have a Laney VC30-112 and I absolutely love it. I'm thinking about getting a Digitech Bad Monkey to boost the gain a bit - I find it to have just enough gain for pop-punk or indie stuff generally. If I get a Bad Monkey (or a similar priced better OD pedal if there are any), how much of a boost is my Laney likely to get? and is it worth doing? I play a huge range of styles and will use my danelectro metal pedal for really heavy stuff, but I want a good sound for punk, hardcore and screamo stuff. Will the Laney OD and an OD pedal do that? At the moment I'm using a Zoom G1x multi fx but I know that using my amp OD will give a much nicer tone.
Cheers for any help.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Last edited by Friendly Stoat at Dec 3, 2008,
I haven't heard great reviews about the Bad Monkey pedal but I suggest you try it out before delving into anything you could possibly regret. Try out BOSS too. Even though not many people would agree, BOSS do make some great OD pedals.
You don't boost the gain with an OD so much as you tighten the amp a little bit. Flubby bass goes away somewhat and your mids get boosted (In Tube screamers and clones).

The VC30 should be able to handle a lot of tones even without an OD so the OD would be a good investment IMHO.

Just try to stay away from BOSS unless you go used. New BOSS pedals tend to be a little overpriced for what you get.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't boost the gain with an OD so much as you tighten the amp a little bit. Flubby bass goes away somewhat and your mids get boosted (In Tube screamers and clones).

The VC30 should be able to handle a lot of tones even without an OD so the OD would be a good investment IMHO.

Just try to stay away from BOSS unless you go used. New BOSS pedals tend to be a little overpriced for what you get.

That is true. Loop stations are where BOSS go seriously overpriced. £120 for a loop!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I guess that's what I'm wanting to do really, but with just a small gain boost ideally.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Yeah it has a really nice variety. It's a great amp.

And I'll look into used Boss ODs. The only one I've tried was the turbo distortion which I thought was pretty crap but I'll look at their ODs anyway Thanks guys.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Last edited by Friendly Stoat at Dec 3, 2008,
No problem. Try out the metal-zone. It could be a little heavy for what you want it for but there's no harm in trying eh.
Quote by Ben Wright
No problem. Try out the metal-zone. It could be a little heavy for what you want it for but there's no harm in trying eh.

Metal-Zone fails. He already has a pedal for the heavier stuff anyways.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah, I like my Danelectro Black Licorice. Thanks anyway though.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
well i cant really comment but im getting a danelectro coolcat transparent overdrive for christmas and from the looks of things that is likely to be "the next bad monkey" in terms of bang for buck.

if you havent already bought something by then i'll let you know how it is. ill be using it with my laney vc15 so it should be relevant
OK cool. I'll probably be getting whatever pedal I get just after Xmas. How much is the coolcat btw? Cheers.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
OK cool. I'll look into it
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
hey, thought i'd check back in and let you know how the cool cat transparent overdrive is working out for me.

firstly, im mainly using it as a clean boost with hardly any gain. like this, when using the drive channel it is kind of like just adding more amp gain and doesnt really change the sound, mainly adds more gain. im getting more clarity and definition and it seems brighter overall. lot bigger sounding.

using it with full volume and next to no gain like this it doesnt add too much volume to the drive channel (just more gain obviously) but on the clean channel it is quite a bit louder.

this is just me but after messing with it for a while, i prefer boosting the drive channel to adding gain to the clean channel although you can get a good sounds from mixing the 2.

i dont know how the vc30 sounds but my vc15 has more than enough gain to cover anything it's voicing will allow. i mainly wanted an OD as a boost so i can get into higher gain levels without stopping playing to twiddle knobs.

as far as transparency goes, you do sound a little different with it turned on. . kind of a little more liquidy and sustainy when using the pedal's gain. turned off i'm sure it doesnt change anything besides having to use 2 cables instead of my usual 1 into the amp.

hope this helps
you need to speak to MrCarrot in the laney thread, he has a VC30 and a BM

EDIT: necroposting ftl
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.