Hey guys, I'm thinking of putting some of my short acoustic stuff on myspace. However, I want to make sure that if anyone steals it I can prove it was mine first. So in other words, what is the cheapest, but effective, way of copyrighting my recordings?

Also, what if I wanted to put a cover on there? If I stated that it was not my work and gave the title and artist of the song, would it be okay?
1. Mail it to yourself and don't open the envelope. The time stamp will prove that you used it from an earlier date if you have to take it to court.

2. Credit the artist, don't make any profit.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
make a recording and post it to yourself via recorded delivery
dont open the package until needed to prove its yours
(it will have the date on from recorded delivery)
Quote by freddaahh
I do think it is a rather suspect sound of metal dildos and horses.
Well, if some people really are soo pathetic to steal music of people`s MySpace then contact, I`ll be the witness in the charge against them so we can drag millions of dollars out of them.

Copyrighting something all the way is really expensive. And what I mentioned I don`t think someone will steal your music.
1. When you upload it, don't make it available for download.
2. Yes as long as you state that it's a cover.
Quote by Ben Wright
2. Yes as long as you state that it's a cover.

people could record his stuff

which is besides the point anyway

what makes you think people will want to steal your material?
Quote by freddaahh
I do think it is a rather suspect sound of metal dildos and horses.
Quote by rabidguitarist
1. Mail it to yourself and don't open the envelope. The time stamp will prove that you used it from an earlier date if you have to take it to court.

This
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Could you mail it to yourself through e-mail?

I'm curious about this subject as well because I have material on MySpace that I don't want stolen.
Quote by Lamby-92
make a recording and post it to yourself via recorded delivery
dont open the package until needed to prove its yours
(it will have the date on from recorded delivery)

Agreed. Definitely the cheapest and easiest way to have peace of mind if you're really worried about somebody stealing your material.
Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it

I do however wonder, is it possible to do something like the mail delivery, but using email? It would be much easier for me to do that. Also, I don't think anyone is going to steal my music, but better safe than sorry, and if the next Jonas Bros style band copy one of my songs, I'll be rich baby!
Quote by Ben Wright

Thaqt doesn't mean anything. I have a firefox add-on that could rip music from any myspace, whether its available for download or not.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Unless you're really really good, no ones going to want to steal your songs man.

But yeah, mail them to yourself and don't open it
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Thaqt doesn't mean anything. I have a firefox add-on that could rip music from any myspace, whether its available for download or not.

...an add on you say? Do tell me more =D
http://www.downloadhelper.net/
Rip music and videos from any site. Simple firefox add-on.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409