Ok so I'm doing a report on trench warfare in WWI and I'm looking at a statistic on Wikipedia that says

Quote by Wikipedia
The Americans recorded 44% of casualties who developed gangrene died. 50% of those wounded in the head died and 99% of those wounded in the abdomen died.

This seemed like the information was the wrong way round e.g. you'd expect those wounded in the head to suffer greater fatalities right?

Anyone confirm this?
Hmm, looks a bit untrue, but the human body is so mysterious that it could be true.
Search on Google for further info, if it isn`t confirmed anywhere, leave it out of your report.

The American joined WW1 in France and Belgium pretty late didn`t they? So it could be that 300 of the 305 died by getting shot into their abdomen. Then the statistics don`t lie...
Would to the head doesn't mean bullet through the brain.

Quote by MaXiMuse

The American joined WW1 in France and Belgium pretty late didn`t they? So it could be that 300 of the 305 died by getting shot into their abdomen. Then the statistics don`t lie...

Thing is, they joined and ignored the advice of the French, Brits and Russians, which was 'Do not all stand up and walk towards the enemy. Attacks don't work.'

They had something like six figures of casualties in the first week.
I think it probably has been swapped around. I'm sure that it's very hard to survive a bullet to the abdomen, but to be shot in the head, almost anywhere, you're almost certainly going to die. I'd look at the reference that they give for that statistic.
abdomen wounds usually are (oddly enough) more fatal than head wounds

the head has your skull, which provides a substantial amount of protection, and most times, you can survive brain injuries, but not come out how you used to be.

Abdomen, however, has no protection, and a GS wound will cause internal bleeding in major organs, if it hits the stomach, then stomach acid will leak out, liquidising all your internal organs very slowly.

hence why more people die from abdomen wounds than head wounds.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
Quote by bulldozerbob
Ok so I'm doing a report on trench warfare in WWI and I'm looking at a statistic on Wikipedia that says

This seemed like the information was the wrong way round e.g. you'd expect those wounded in the head to suffer greater fatalities right?

Anyone confirm this?

Check the source. Also, you should consider a couple of things about that. Abdominal wounds have a nasty tendency to become infected, which could easily finish off an injured person. Also, in the right place ab wounds can kill you in under 15 minutes easy. Head wounds aren't fatal as often as you might think, though they often cripple. Medicine wasn't all that great back then either, not to mention generally unsanitary conditions and probably long waits to see a field doctor/surgeon.
Still, [citation needed]. 99% is suspiciously high.
Search the exact phrase with the statistics in- lots of wikipedia articles are lifted from other sites, you might find it's from a more reliable source.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Les Paul Ell
I think it probably has been swapped around. I'm sure that it's very hard to survive a bullet to the abdomen, but to be shot in the head, almost anywhere, you're almost certainly going to die. I'd look at the reference that they give for that statistic.

If I shoot your ear off I doubt you'll keel over with little crosses over your eyes.
First rule of marking papers in my sisters High School - If they quote or mention in any way "Wikipedia" Automatic fail.

Maybe that says something
No, I'm sure it's right.
But you shouldn't be on wiki for a school project.
If it's a statistic it should have a source, if not, then you can't use it.
It actually says just above the part you quoted:

"This section does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (September 2008)"
It doesn't even say gunshot to the head... just wounded. That probably includes people cutting themselves shaving.
Check the source listed for that statistic, it's probably not a reliable source (like a good amount of stuff on wikipedia). Try doing your own independent research from a reliable source. You youngsters and your interwebs.
Quote by webbtje
If I shoot your ear off I doubt you'll keel over with little crosses over your eyes.

Ears aren't really part of the head.. That's like saying the same thing about arms with abdomen. They're attached, but they aren't part of it. If you get shot in the head, I'd have thought it's just a bit likely that the brain will be damaged. When the brain is damaged you can be a little bit badly injured.. I'm not saying that being shot in the abdomen isn't likely to kill you.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Ears aren't really part of the head.. That's like saying the same thing about arms with abdomen. They're attached, but they aren't part of it. If you get shot in the head, I'd have thought it's just a bit likely that the brain will be damaged. When the brain is damaged you can be a little bit badly injured.. I'm not saying that being shot in the abdomen isn't likely to kill you.

It's nothing like saying arms with abdomen. Your head includes your ears, eyes, nose etc. etc.... it's the whole thing.
Agreed, don't use Wiki. I'm at University of Alberta and all of my profs have told us that we can't us Wiki as source. If you're at a university or college, use the library they have there, if you're in high school, use their library or the local library. If you are going to use the internet, use an online library from a university.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Hanson are musical legends.

You watch your god damn mouth when talking about them.

Quote by TheQuailman

I mean, look at me. Can't even get an erection unless I strangle a goat.

It's Time To Be Immortal Cause Heros Never Die!