Page 1 of 2
Now this is about green day(and the news story on the front page of UG). Back in 2004 they released American Idiot, and as we all know, they recieved ALOT of success for that album. However, Every green day fan was accusing them of selling out and such, and saying that the album "sux". Well you know what, I really dont get it, cause these are the same fans that are praising dookie.....which was them selling out when it came out in 1995....American Idiot is their greatest artistic achievement because its actually an INTERESTING album, unlike there other albums, which are based off of similar formats and structures....I know this is me just ranting, but, I dont get all the anger towards American Idiot...its their most interesting album, its them doing **** theyve always been doing, but better SONG structures, yet people **** on it. Why?? Why does it suck...I for one am not a fan of green day, theyve always been one of the least talented bands in my eyes when they came out in the 90s, but they finally did something worthwhile on this release, and its praised and such, yet fans say.."No way dude this album sux man"....I dont get it, why does it suck?
Kerplunk > American Idiot
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I only like a few Green Day songs, none of them are off of American Idiot, though I bought the album because I was a bit younger and was into that kind of stuff then.

I see what you're saying though.
it dosent suck, there just saying that because the music became more popular so it was less their music and more everyone elses, it was actually a class album, those few songs were just over played.
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Quote by cam_sampbell

but why???/ Why Kerplunk, see this is the stereotypical response I was looking for. Kerplunk is ****, the production is ****, and its the same **** theyve been doing cept it sounds like **** production wise.... unless your the steve albini type i dont get it.
probably because it made little scene kids start listening to them.... i like it though i agree
Greenday Fans enjoy terrible predictable music. The songs became slightly more thought out BAM, they suck.
Feed your mind.
The kind of people who listen to Greenday will change their view of a band if it becomes popular, with it getting huge mainstream success, that very thing happened
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

I'm still waiting for the new album, you know, the one where they think of a new chord progression.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
some people like to keep it simple..you know...4 power chords and stuff.
I prefer the older songs but the American Idiot ones are pretty cool as well.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'm still waiting for the new album, you know, the one where they think of a new chord progression.

It got canceled.
Feed your mind.
A lot of their fans got angry 'cause they got famous and 12yr old little girls started liking them, thus making liking them or the album "uncool". It's a completely idiotic reason to like/not like a band but sadly that's how most youngsters feel today. *Looks out his window* "Hey, you damn kids get off my lawn! Ungrateful bastards..."
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Greenday fans don't like it because they went from being pop-punk to trying to cash in on the pop-punk-emo simple plan crap.
And saying that it is the most interesting album is an opinion, which obviously a LOT of people disagree with.
And how can you listen to "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" with a straight face, it's honestly one of the gayest songs I've ever heard, well, that and that one MCR song, I don't even remember what it's called but he's singing about his dad or something.
Quote by Firebread
It got canceled.

Shame, they must have failed the quest to find chords that aren't I, IV or V.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
umm....k?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Shame, they must have failed the quest to find chords that aren't I, IV or V.

They almost found a II, but then they took a **** break.
Feed your mind.
Quote by BerryTree
but why???/ Why Kerplunk, see this is the stereotypical response I was looking for. Kerplunk is ****, the production is ****, and its the same **** theyve been doing cept it sounds like **** production wise.... unless your the steve albini type i dont get it.

- It doesn't try to be a 'rock opera'
- The songs are better
- The songs aren't overplayed to hell on music channels
- It doesn't slag off George Bush at every god-given moment
I could go on
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
American Idiot was good for the first 3 weeks before every thirteen year old on the planet caught on
Quote by BerryTree

Back when shitty production quality was the standard, no one cared about it. MABYE....JUST MAYBE...people look for different things in music then you do

Whoever said that when they "sold out"(which is a stupid fucking concept to begin with) they became less their music and more everyone elses is correct, kudos to whoever said that
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
I've liked Greenday since they first started & I actually think that "American Idiot" Is their best album! my point being not all Greenday fans dislike "AI"
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Saying that "american idiot sucks because green day sold out" isn't the proper way to express peoples dissatisfaction with a band who becomes more popular. In high school it's natural for people to want to be isolated from others in some ways, and by finding obscure bands they feel like that contributes to them being unique. Therefore when a band achieves great success, people then ditch the trendy band, and then to make matters worse , they say that said band "sold out". I wish it was really deeper than that, but it isn't.

The idea of selling out to the man is just plain wrong. If you watch Green Day's "Bullet In A Bible", you can see the bands passion for the record, and that they weren't in it for the money. When things happen to piss people off, people want to let other people know. TS would not have made this thread if that wasn't true. So George Bush pissed the members of Green Day off, which stuck something inside them that pushed them to make this record and let the public know about it. And to anyone who looks below the superficial obvious statements about Green Day's dislike of George Bush can see that the album has a lot more to offer than what most people think.

Granted it's not the deepest piece of music ever, its not the best album ever written, but people generally underrate it because all the ignorant sheep who buy this album and scream "FUCK GEORGE BUSH" are the only ones screaming, so naturally that's all people are going to think this record is about.

And again, selling out the man? I can't believe people actually buy this crap. The man is the person who would give these people the power. And that person is the consumer...so if you have ever bought an album...than I guess that means that YOU are "the man". Shame on you

I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
The obvious moral of this story? Don't listen to Green Day, nothing good comes of it.
The hidden moral? Don't rant about something from four years ago that people had finally quit ranting about >.<
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by hownowbrowncow
Because you touch yourself at night

No, thats why the Dinosaus died out!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by Insanity^2
The obvious moral of this story? Don't listen to Green Day, nothing good comes of it.
The hidden moral? Don't rant about something from four years ago that people had finally quit ranting about >.<

yea I wanted to wait this long so people can reflect instead of ranting WHILE they were still huge.....im not in high school anymore, anyone know if they are still the cool band to like now....
For me it was just annoying to hear them EVERYWHERE, they got a bit tiresome. I've always enjoyed a bit of Green Day, but people got tired of American Idiot.
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
cuz itz kool to leik anty bush bandwagon bands lol!!
Quote by RU Experienced?
I love ham, I'm gay!!!

Buy fresh sliced deli ham and stop being a bitch. Also, never microwave ham ever, it's in strict violation of ham law.
TS, you understand you sound just as biased as the people you put down?

Arguing over music is pointless, you aren't going to change another person's taste.
Quote by cam_sampbell

I thought you were talking about the game with the marbles and the sticks. Apparently not.
I ****in hate it when bands mix politics with their music. Only RATM and Atari Teenage Riot can do it.
a) this has very little to nothing to do with high school
b) opinions
c) Greenday has always sounded the same to me, pop rock/punk, they sold out from the very beginning (not that I'd call that selling out)
d) I don't mind american idiot.
Idk, I really enjoy Jesus of suburbia, whatever album that came from.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

I loved american idiot when it came out..It's not the greatest record of all time, but i thought it was pretty good. I liked most, if not all, of the songs in it

and I agree that "selling out" is the stupidest, most over-used term ever.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

I dunno about them being 'sell-outs', that insult doesn't really make sense. But they do suck in my humble little opinion.
Page 1 of 2