Ok im 16 and dont have the biggest hands/fingers but my problem is im having a hard time using my picky when playing guitar. I cant really get it up to the low E and if i do it sounds horrible, just to get to the A string it takes a lot of effort......is anyone else having this problem and is it normal? Will it affect me down the road?
The best advice I can give is to make sure you stretch throughout the day and throughout your playing/practicing. Stretch each finger and between each pair of fingers, forward and back, side to side. Stretch your wrist the same way, then stretch right up through your forearms. Also, make sure to do this on BOTH hands and both arms. You will gain a good amount of flexibility if you keep at it (making sure not to overstretch and hurt something). I personally stretch whenever I'm not using my hands at any given time, regardless of where I am or what I'm doing. This can be very beneficial, especially to those who have small hands and/or short fingers.

Another thing, don't be afraid to move your thumb's position on the back of the neck and twist your wrist appropriately to make maneuvering on some of the bigger stretches and lower strings easier. After time, it will become more natural feeling. Hope this helps.
Definitely continue with stretches as the last poster mentioned. A lot of guitarists neglect the use of their pinky, and sometimes it just looks bad. It may seem hard to believe, but using the pinky is actually more efficient in the end. Kudos to not avoiding it like 50% of other guitarists =p. Finger independence exercises can help tremendously, especially chromatic 1-2-3-4 runs on each string utilizing one finger per fret. It'd be ideal to do these with a metronome so you can use your pinky more consistently.
learn blackbird by the Beatles - that stretching really helped me out
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Do this on a bass (it is supposed to hurt, in your thumb, and if you put effort into it you will feel your pinky much stronger.)

G 5678
D---------5678
A-----------------5678
E-------------------------5678

Do that over and over and over and over
Then grab a guitar and it will feel like a toy.

PS: It is normal i was once there. Please put effort in it, it will be worth it
-JulioO
Last edited by adelleda11 at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by silvadolla
Definitely continue with stretches as the last poster mentioned. A lot of guitarists neglect the use of their pinky, and sometimes it just looks bad. It may seem hard to believe, but using the pinky is actually more efficient in the end. Kudos to not avoiding it like 50% of other guitarists =p. Finger independence exercises can help tremendously, especially chromatic 1-2-3-4 runs on each string utilizing one finger per fret. It'd be ideal to do these with a metronome so you can use your pinky more consistently.

This has worked for me so far, I have rather small hands too(at 25, though), and Im practicing on a Yamaha FG-461S, and the low E string is fairly thick (in my opinion).

I can defnitely feel the improvement in my pinky strength, and Im sure by the time my Ibanez GAX70 gets here next week, the low E will feel like nothing.