oh and are they just the same or do maple necks have better qualities or vice versa?
I prefer maple on Stratocasters and Super Strats and ebony on everything else.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Maple necks are softer and will stain, but rosewood is harder and provides better sustain.

What?

Do you have any proof of this?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by eberg2
i like rosewood better, its just easier to play for me

+1
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Maple ftw.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Rosewood for me, I like it.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What?

Do you have any proof of this?

Rosewood boards are harder and more dense, and its particles are closer together, which provides more contact between the wood.

Therefore, more contact + more mass = more sustain.

Or just google it if you want the EXACT "scientific" response
I don't like maple at all for finger boards it makes a guitar look cheesy.

John
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Rosewood boards are harder and more dense, and its particles are closer together, which provides more contact between the wood.

Alright. Fair enough.

I doubt very much of the sustain comes from the fretboard anyways.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 3, 2008,
I like both, like maple for my blues stuff and rosewood for metal/hardrock. Played on an ebony necked guitar before, they are nice but not my thing.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
Maple. Especially the coated ones or whatever, not sure what it is, but I played it on a strat and it was the best feeling neck ever. Plus, Maple looks sexy as it ages and turns yellowish.

But Birdseye maple is the best
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Rosewood for me
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Maple.

PGM301 FTW.
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts
I assume you're talking about the fretboard and not the actual neck? In terms of the fretboard, it's kind of funny. I love the look and feel of Maple much more but almost all of my guitars have Rosewood fretboards, haha. There are just too many other factors that always sway me towards the ones with the Rosewood and I'm not big into customizing my guitars.
Quote by Twisted Magnum

But wouldnt the fact the maple necks are one peice and the rosewoods arent do more for sustain.

I prefer the look and feel of maple personally. Rosewood feels a bit softer to me.
birdseye maple
fretboard isnt a huge factor on tone or sustain its mainly for the look.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
...Well, necks, maple.
But fingerboard? Ebony.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
In my opinion the shaper attack, snap and sustain of Ebony boards can't be beat, and their smooth dark surface looks kickass imo.

Have 3 guitars, 2 rosewood, one ebony, and if I buy another guitar hopefully it will be Ebony too.

But out of maple and rosewood i'd say i prefer rosewood as I like a clean f/board and prefer the darker look. For now that is. Who knows, I might acquire an axe with a maple f/board and actually really enjoy it, but i prefer finished necks personally.
Quote by beckyjc
But wouldnt the fact the maple necks are one peice and the rosewoods arent do more for sustain.

I prefer the look and feel of maple personally. Rosewood feels a bit softer to me.

The fact that the neck is one-piece maple means nothing. Its molecular structure is a little looser and inherently weaker than rosewood and ebony, so how many pieces its made of wont matter.

Think of it this way: the neck could be a one-piece grade AAAA plywood and it would still have less natural sustain than a 14-piece maple neck.

Rosewood on my strat but i do like the maple on my wolfgang.
XBL Gamertag: toasty10
Maple necks are slicker over time, but when you first play them they feel sticky. Rosewood has a "harder" feel, as in the wood feels more like genuine wood under your hands, while, in my personal feel and experience, after a couple weeks adjusting, you learn to apply enough pressure to get a note without touching and sticking to the fretboad, making you faster overall, or at least I did.

In short; Rosewood is easier, but maple will make you a better guitarist, or at least it did for me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Ebony over rosewood, except for when the neck is made of maple, then I want a maple fretboard too.

Birdseye maple = Epic win.

I've played on all 3, but ebony and maple feel much better than rosewood to me.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
I am one of the few people who prefer rosewood because it looks good on everything. A maple neck on an LP wouldn't look nice.