11 27%
Some Fender Mini Amp (Specify below)
2 5%
A Marshall (MS-2 or MS-4)
4 10%
Voters: 41.
Page 1 of 2
Whats the best mini amp out there?
NO, I am not using this to play regularly. I am using it for school and I don't want to bring my "real" amp.

Could you tell me which is the best and which is the best for the money? As they are mini amps, I don't think i have to list a budget.

Thanks in advance.
There's a new Danelectro one I just saw.

It sounded like a refined Honeytone but with reverb and tremolo.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
There's a new Danelectro one I just saw.

It sounded like a refined Honeytone but with reverb and tremolo.

Ooooh. Just FYI, I'm not able to buy anything online :\ but ill check into that.

Thanks
I picked up a Roland Microcube for about 100$, and it doubles as an effects amp. You should look it up, I've yet to find a negative review.
Microcubes FTW!
I've got one, and it's pretty amazing for such a little amp.
Not a bad price, either.
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
Quote by Freohr7
I picked up a Roland Microcube for about 100$, and it doubles as an effects amp. You should look it up, I've yet to find a negative review.

I think the Microcube is too big... I want something that will fit in my backpack. Thanks for your post though.
The Orange Micro Crush. It actually sounds good. Like a real amp. It has a built in tuner as well, and can run on battery or adapter. They sell 'em at Hot Topic (no idea why, but I can risk 5 minutes in the store to buy a good amp) so you don't even need to go online. It's like $60. Oh, and it just looks effing sweet.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I was gonna say cube, but the crush is good too, little big, but it should fit in a backpack nicely. I got one soley for it having a wood cab and metal chassis (only one really). Sounds like a can of bees, but so do all of them. The tuner is fairly accurate.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Sid McCall
The Orange Micro Crush. It actually sounds good. Like a real amp. It has a built in tuner as well, and can run on battery or adapter. They sell 'em at Hot Topic (no idea why, but I can risk 5 minutes in the store to buy a good amp) so you don't even need to go online. It's like $60. Oh, and it just looks effing sweet.

Wow... i think im in love with the Micro Crush all of a sudden. Seeing that its Orange just makes me wanna buy it. I live in Canada btw so the best music store here is Long and Mcquade if you guys live in Canada...
Quote by davedoom
*cough* Zvex nano....

I wouldn't want to bring a Nano to school.

That little half inch speaker doesn't sound too bad in the Nano actually.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A tube amp would be great but you have to understand that this thing will be sitting in my locker throughout the week and i cant afford it being stolen...
It has its own built-in speaker. It can also be used on the input of another amp as a fuzz box.

Straight from MF.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
lol sorry for being a dumbass... Do you think i could get it from a shop and not online?
ya, if not you can get the diagram offline and build one with parts from radio shack or some store of that nature.
How hard will it be to build one? i have no experience in building machines and stuff of the like.
Not hard to build. Simple layout.

They're not the greatest sounding, but they are the most portable and they sound great through a cab.

They're the worst on battery life.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
How would i get the diagram? Will this be cheaper than buying a mini amp?

Edit: Is the Marshall MS-4 louder than the MS-2?
I would assume it is a little bit because of the extra speaker, but I really dont see the size (not to mention the stupidly higher price) being worth it.

As for the diagram google 'ruby mini amp'
Quote by Luxifer
How would i get the diagram? Will this be cheaper than buying a mini amp?

Edit: Is the Marshall MS-4 louder than the MS-2?

Not really.

Don't get either of them. They're the worst sounding one of the bunch.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
get a vox amplug (ac30, classic rock, metal, lead and bass models to choose from) and plug it into a set of decent ipod speakers or computer speakers with some bass and you're good to go. There is an LG model of speakers that is as small as a mobile phone, u just flip it open like a phone and there are speakers both sides. That and it's cheap...can't remember the actual name though, just google 'best portable speakers' and look up the CNET top 10 models, and it'll be top 5 most likely (was lookin at em last night) - and heaps of others to choose from. Personally i think this is the best way to go, as all the micro/mini amps in that kinda size are likely to sound like bees, whereas the Vox has good, solid, respectable tone, and you can try it with 100000000000 different speakers til u find some that u like.
Quote by yenners
get a vox amplug (ac30, classic rock, metal, lead and bass models to choose from) and plug it into a set of decent ipod speakers or computer speakers with some bass and you're good to go. There is an LG model of speakers that is as small as a mobile phone, u just flip it open like a phone and there are speakers both sides. That and it's cheap...can't remember the actual name though, just google 'best portable speakers' and look up the CNET top 10 models, and it'll be top 5 most likely (was lookin at em last night) - and heaps of others to choose from. Personally i think this is the best way to go, as all the micro/mini amps in that kinda size are likely to sound like bees, whereas the Vox has good, solid, respectable tone, and you can try it with 100000000000 different speakers til u find some that u like.

^+1
That sounds like a reasonable plan. Those speakers would be louder than the mini amps right?
Quote by Luxifer
^+1
That sounds like a reasonable plan. Those speakers would be louder than the mini amps right?

yeah tonnes louder, as loud as you want. You can even plug the amplugs into a full PA system if you really wanted, but I haven't heard what that sounds like.

my mic input on my old stereo didn't sound great, neither did a $12 pair of headphones. the ipod headphones i had from way back sounded decent, but the best i've tried so far was a set of gaming headphones from EB games w/o the mic plugged in.

Only had it for a couple days so still trying things out, but at volumes i listen to it sounds good, but i personally think it sounds better with passive pickups than active pickups - i think something about the active preamps drive it harder. Although the passives i'm using it with are SD invaders, so they're mighty hot and sound awesom. The Amplug Metal sounds like my vox vt30's 'cali metal' (or the older ad30vt's nu-metal channel) channel but with some treble rolled off to minimise harshness for the headphone environment. Definitely worth the $50aud i paid, but try a few headphone/speaker sets to get a good evaluation.
Last edited by yenners at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by yenners
yeah tonnes louder, as loud as you want. You can even plug the amplugs into a full PA system if you really wanted, but I haven't heard what that sounds like.

my mic input on my old stereo didn't sound great, neither did a $12 pair of headphones. the ipod headphones i had from way back sounded decent, but the best i've tried so far was a set of gaming headphones from EB games w/o the mic plugged in.

Only had it for a couple days so still trying things out, but at volumes i listen to it sounds good, but i personally think it sounds better with passive pickups than active pickups - i think something about the active preamps drive it harder. Although the passives i'm using it with are SD invaders, so they're mighty hot and sound awesom. The Amplug Metal sounds like my vox vt30's 'cali metal' (or the older ad30vt's nu-metal channel) channel but with some treble rolled off to minimise harshness for the headphone environment. Definitely worth the $50aud i paid, but try a few headphone/speaker sets to get a good evaluation.

Im most likely going to use the Vox amplug for a speaker. So im probably going to buy an amplug, test it with my current speakers, then determine if i want it. If i dont like it, ill just return the amplug or get new speakers.

You have a vt30? Im interested in buying one of those for my next amp... What do you think about it being a hybrid amp? Can you post some pics of the control panel on the amp because i cant seem to find any pics of it on the net, as the amp is pretty new.

Would you suggest the AC30, classic rock, or the new Lead amplug for me? I've heard that the classic rock amplug cant do cleans that well... and the AC30 is more versatile amplug. So if you have any experience with these, please let me know which can do cleans AND classic rock like led zeppelin, randy rhoads, rush, GNR. The new Lead amplug has delay
Just get a Mighty Moe AmpStrap. Amp is built into the strap, and I tried one, for a 3" 9V speaker built onto a strip of leather, they sound pretty good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by Almost-Antix
Microcubes FTW!
I've got one, and it's pretty amazing for such a little amp.
Not a bad price, either.

This!!
I'm Luke.
Quote by necrosis1193
Just get a Mighty Moe AmpStrap. Amp is built into the strap, and I tried one, for a 3" 9V speaker built onto a strip of leather, they sound pretty good.

Is it loud?
Quote by Luxifer
Is it loud?

Well, it's right near your left shoulder(or right shoulder if your left-handed), so you'll hear it loud and clear. As for being loud overall, it was when I tried it, but that's really going to be your call. How loud do you need?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Erm... I have to hear it along with other amps that are cranked not that loud (tv volume).
I owned the Orange but then it broke.

It was my fault, though. It was a rock solid mini amp and sounded good, I just crushed it.

....HA I made a pun....
Quote by Kevin Saale
What did you do, stand on it?

dropped my main amp on it. square on top of it. Don't ask why it was on the floor, I had no clue it was there until OOPS!

It was actually quite hilarious. I think my main amp got jealous and decided it was either him or the micro-crush.
Page 1 of 2