im looking to upgrade from a Nokia 6555 to some sort of smart phone in January.
the main features that are important to me are:

music- expandable memory of at least 16gb, (3.5mm jack would be awesome, but not needed)
battery life- anything above 5 hours
applications- threaded SMS is a MUST. i know most phones dont come with it, but most can download an app for it.
call quality- my phone now has really ****ty call sound, so im really hoping my new phone gets better reception.

so far i've narrowed it down to
[url="http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=mobilephones&type=mobilephones&subtype=att&model_cd=SGH-I907ZKAATT
"]Samsung Epix
or
Motorola Moto Q

if anyone can shed some light on these phones, or suggest a different phone (NOT iPHONE. the battery life is about 4 hours, and im not liking the touchscreen keyboard) i'[d greatly appreciate it.
budget is about $400 RETAIL which comes to about $200 after rebates with the 2 year plan im getting.
thanks.
get one that can have a gameboy emulator. i have one on my blackjack and i love it.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic

Its Retro Cool!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by daniel.mycoe
What is threaded sms?

Your phone stores "conversations" instead of individual text messages.

Me:
You:
Me:
You:

In one screen, instead of going through multiple messages/having to check inbox and outbox to see whole conversations.

It's really convenient.
GOOGLE IT NOOB!

no, really, google. i would give the G1 from google a chance, it has a touchscreen and a full qwerty keyboard, it's supposed to have good battery life, and it uses the android market, the equivalent of the iphone app store. it's essentially open source, so no apple striking down potentially useful apps. it's worth a look.
I thought I heard the door open, oh no,
I thought I heard the door open but
I only heard it close.
ya, threaded SMS is REALLY nice.
also, im pretty sure the Motorola Moto Q has a few working gaemboy emulators (i've already found a SNES one!) and the epix can't do those due to the touchscreen.
BTW, the touchscreen on the Epix is trivial. it's nice at first, but it's not a must have. it's not even really a want.
I like smartphones in principal, and although most of them look awesome on paper when you read user reviews you start to get a different story.

Crap battery life, poor sound quality even with good headphones, features like GPS don't work well, large, heavy etc etc.
Quote by NorthStarRock
GOOGLE IT NOOB!

no, really, google. i would give the G1 from google a chance, it has a touchscreen and a full qwerty keyboard, it's supposed to have good battery life, and it uses the android market, the equivalent of the iphone app store. it's essentially open source, so no apple striking down potentially useful apps. it's worth a look.

i have AT&T, not TMobile. Im not too hot on the idea of buying the phone for retail and then unlocking it..
oh my bad, i thought you were talking about getting a new service. sorry.
I thought I heard the door open, oh no,
I thought I heard the door open but
I only heard it close.
i guess i should've been more detailed in my first post.
also, the Moto Q doesn't have Wifi apparently?!
the only way i've found to have wifi on the Q is to put a wifi card in the microSD card slot...but then no music. :S