recently i changed the strings and cleaned my guitar. on the pickups, i noticed a bit of what reminded me of a dry glue type stuff seeping up through the rods. i wiped it off and restrung my guitar only to find that the bridge pickup sounds like absolute garbagee now. i play a schecter tempest with the stock pickups in it which i know arent too great to begin with but now its rediculously bad. when the switch is down the bridge pickup seems to give off a feint trebly sound that is clean even with gain all the way up. when the switch is in the middle its reallyyy bassy and is the exact same tone as when the switch is up.

could the bridge pickup have gone bad? if so, shouldnt it sound fine when i switch to the neck pickup then? or did the switch go bad? the pickups are not active so i dont think they burned outt. wayyyyy noob here so any help is appreciated!

ps. all the wires seem to still be connected fine so i dont think anything needs to be re soldered
Last edited by broken657 at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by broken657
recently i changed the strings and cleaned my guitar. on the pickups, i noticed a bit of what reminded me of a dry glue type stuff seeping up through the rods. i wiped it off and restrung my guitar only to find that the bridge pickup sounds like absolute garbagee now. i play a schecter tempest with the stock pickups in it which i know arent too great to begin with but now its rediculously bad. when the switch is down the bridge pickup seems to give off a feint trebly sound that is clean even with gain all the way up. when the switch is in the middle its reallyyy bassy and is the exact same tone as when the switch is up.

could the bridge pickup have gone bad? if so, shouldnt it sound fine when i switch to the neck pickup then? or did the switch go bad? the pickups are not active so i dont think they burned outt. wayyyyy noob here so any help is appreciated!

maybe its gods way of telling you to get non-stock pups

so wat did you use to clean your guitar
if you spilt polish in the pup by accident give it time to dry and see if the sound clears up if not its new pup time
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
didnt use any product or anything to clean itt, just gave it a dry wipe down pretty muchh.
and yes i've opened it up about a week a ago to check the soldering but everything seems finee. and yeaa i wish i could affordd some new pickups hah but hopefully this is something thats fixable?
Pickups don't "go bad" and they don't "burn out". It's most likely a wiring issue, but there is a chance you could have damaged the windings on the pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i'll re check the wiring then. and sorry for my incompetence but what exactly are the windings on the pickup? and is there a way to fix it?