Will it help if I play other peoples music?
I'm not that great coming up with my own stuff yet, so I'm just practicing with band tabs.

Are there any tabs for beginners?
Yeah it'll help a lot, thats all i did at first, itll help your memory and become familiar and feel more natural with the guitar. It can also help you get better technically. those bands will help you to a certain point until you feel you want to start soloing more or improvising. Leanr a few of those songs by each band getting a tougher one each time.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Yeah, I already know how to play the first part of I Feel So from Boxcar Racer

Now I need to learn the whole song!
also i found that making a list of all the songs you know all the way through is great after you learn a lot songs so that you remember to keep playing different ones and not getting stuck in a rut.
also when you get bored of doing the regular powerchord type stuff try playing some stuff by people like arctic monkeys or alexisonfire and try and branch out your style so you really know what you want to play
Quote by boreamor

People
should
smile
more

haha well, start learning! and youll soon improve if you keep trying, im just giving buts ofadvice i found helpful
Quote by boreamor

People
should
smile
more

Quote by charlie__flynn
also i found that making a list of all the songs you know all the way through is great after you learn a lot songs so that you remember to keep playing different ones and not getting stuck in a rut.

This is a VERY good idea. I didn't start doing this until like a year or longer after i started playing. You could also create various playlists using iTunes or Winamp and just create some songs for routines that you can practice on different days. It makes things a hell of a lot more consistent, and when people are like, "so, what songs can you play" you don't give them a blank stare =p.