Well i love classical music and some pieces imparticular just make me want to buy a piano and start playing.

I was reading some article the other day about people who have succeeded in learning to play certain instruments without lessons. I know the piano is regarded as an easy instrument to learn to play (hard to master though might i add) which is why i believe people are encouraged to learn to play the piano first before other classical instrument.

Anyway my question is do i or don't i have lessons?

Also, what kind of piano should i be looking at for a beginner?

Thanks
i always thought piano was one of the HARDEST, i coud never really grasp reading two lines at once.

Then again i played saxophone for 10 years and counting, so jumping to the guitar was strange since i could play more then one note at a time.
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Quote by sleazydan
Anyway my question is do i or don't i have lessons?

As of now I'd say you don't have lessons.

Take them. Nothing worthless about them.
Quote by heaven's gate
As of now I'd say you don't have lessons.

Take them. Nothing worthless about them.

Yea it's just it can cost a lot for private tuition and when my sister had keyboard lessons she was made do to all these exams which i believe is wrong. You can't be qualified to play an instrument. I don't really know what piano teachers can teach. I mean you get better by practising and you just have to make the effort to learn to read music from books or something.
You could teach yourself piano, sure.

But if you want to be any good at it, you'd be doing yourself a huge favor by taking lessons.

As for beginning pianos, that's kinda tough. Obviously, there's nothing for learning piano like a real piano, but those are kinda damn expensive. I don't know about specific brands, but maybe see about touch sensitive keyboards or electric pianos. I think.

Yea it's just it can cost a lot for private tuition and when my sister had keyboard lessons she was made do to all these exams which i believe is wrong.

I had to do a good deal of that when I took lessons, and though it was a pain, I gotta admit it's a good way to teach your scales, arpeggios, music theory stuff, etc. etc..
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
Quote by sleazydan
Yea it's just it can cost a lot for private tuition and when my sister had keyboard lessons she was made do to all these exams which i believe is wrong. You can't be qualified to play an instrument. I don't really know what piano teachers can teach. I mean you get better by practising and you just have to make the effort to learn to read music from books or something.

teachers are important, not only do they teach you what needs practising, they know how to perfect your technique. What i find most important they show HOW to practise.
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
I have a yahama keyboard..it was probably about $120 and it's perfect for the amount that I play.

And as for lessons, I took them when I was 10, and forgot everything. I've taught myself to play Canon in D. I'd say if you are in any way familiar with music, teach yourself the basics, then get a teacher for more difficult techniques. There's no use paying someone to teach you "Happy Birthday."
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by sleazydan
I don't really know what piano teachers can teach. I mean you get better by practising and you just have to make the effort to learn to read music from books or something.

What. Of course you don't! You've never taken lessons, you know fuck all about the piano, let alone teaching methods.
yeah.. i think you should go for it.. my mate has played for like a year, year and a half at most.. hes doing grade 7 tomorrow.. if ure talented.. go for it lol
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by sleazydan

So do you think testing in schools is wrong too?
Ok then i guess i'll think about getting lessons then.

As far as equipment goes, do i need to have weighted keys or will a normal keyboard do? I've been looking at electric piano's but it would mean spending a little extra... maybe £100 or something.

Is there such thing as a MIDI piano? one which you just bang straight in the back of your computer but still has weighted keys?

Thanks
Get weighted keys. There are ones with MIDI out there, actually I think the majority do nowadays. I can't recommend any models because I know next to nothing about electric pianos/keyboards.
Are they worth it?

If you want to learn to play the piano: yes.

If you want to be a plate salesman: no.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Beginning piano really isn't that difficult. All that really matters is posture (slash basic physical technique), learning the notes, and learning how to read notation.

Not too hard. You could even teach yourself how to play really good rock piano.

But yeah, if you want to be able to play crazy fast piano toccatas and the like, you ought to- speaking as somebody who's taken piano lessons for 10 years, they're dead helpful if you want to get serious about playing.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Piano lessons are pretty crucial; a good teacher will ensure your posture and method is entirely correct - less inportant for early basic pieces, but absolutely essential for anything impressive or advanced.
A book or online lesson won't correct you when you're doing it wrong.
If you want to study classical piano, then you must get a teacher. If you just want to play Billie Joel or something, then no.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
if you can take lessons, do that. It's always good to have somebody confirm your theory and correct you when you're wrong. Aswell as teach you stuff you need to know ofc :P
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Today I was sitting in the music rooms of my uni (I don't take music as a course) thinking "I love being able to play the piano."
The piano is definitely not easy. A good teacher would be of tremendous help.

There are also very good lessons on Youtube.