This is something that might be very useful for some...

Most guys for for 100Watts and get it over with. But really, how much power do you really need? As a basis for comparison, we use a loud rock band, with an overall loud drummer playing gigs in a medium to large club. No arenas or coliseums. Two guitarists, drums and bass.

Now, with this in mind... How much power do you really need?
couple of batteries and a portable micro amp would do u if u were being miced up i bet haha
Equips:

Ibanez RG2550E
Jackson DKMG
ESP LTD EC 200 QM
Peavey ValveKing Head & Slant Cabinet
Peavey 5150
Ashdown Fallen Angel 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
Yeah, 100w is overkill. A lot of bands even use combos (with a few adjustments) and just mic them live.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Not much at all, my 120W Peavey 6505+ rarely goes above 3 live
We even considered micing up a couple of Marshall battery ministacks recently haha
ohai little sig.
100w is most certainly not overkill. it just depends on how much headroom you need.

Also, if your cab is nicer than the PA, which in most cases it is, it's nice to let your speakers do all the work.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
100w is most certainly not overkill. it just depends on how much headroom you need.

Also, if your cab is nicer than the PA, which in most cases it is, it's nice to let your speakers do all the work.

If you have spent a **** load of money into a vintage cab that gives off the most unique speaker vibrations then yea turn that beast up.
Equips:

Ibanez RG2550E
Jackson DKMG
ESP LTD EC 200 QM
Peavey ValveKing Head & Slant Cabinet
Peavey 5150
Ashdown Fallen Angel 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
$500 for my mid 70's Ampeg V4?

I wouldn't want my rig run through some ****ty bar's PA..

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
$500 for my mid 70's Ampeg V4?

I wouldn't want my rig run through some ****ty bar's PA..

It would probably sound like **** un miced if it was anything but a small bar. In a larger bar you'll only send the front row deaf and give the people in the back something muffled to listen to.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
It would probably sound like **** un miced if it was anything but a small bar. In a larger bar you'll only send the front row deaf and give the people in the back something muffled to listen to.

Nonsense poopypants. Louder is always better!

But for real, Kevin is right. He's almost always right.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

i highly doubt that, this cab is ****ing ridiculous. it has a vented back and is much, much wider than normal. it pushes air like a beast. i have literally cracked the wall in my basement with it playing half volume with my Rat. when i play my amp on 3, my entire house shakes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Wattage does not really equal volume. It doesn't scale the same either, so a 100W amp would most likely not be twice as loud as a 50W amp. Stop judging amps by wattage.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by xwearesinking

excactly as for the cab, but but but, when have you last played a gig where you could turn a 100watt head, assuming were taliking a tube amp, anywhere over 3?

TS, Really if were talking higher quality amps from marshall, Fender, orange, and most botique stuff, youll be so amazed at the volume you get out of relatively low wattage. Have you ever played on a marshall super lead? It's ridicoulously loud, and imo overkill for anything but a stadium or huge hall.
And if your going for anyhting other than clean 100% of the time, you really wanna be able to crank that amp After having used several 100 and 50w heads, I finally took the step and purchased a 20w hw head from marshall. And ill tell you. That thing is LOUD. But not louder than it can be cranked for medium gigs ( places with 200-300 people).

But as Punkman cleverly says. dont judge an amp by the wattage too much. really my 20 head is a bit louder than my collegues 40w fender deluxe, whereas that is nearly as loud as this other guy we occasionally jam with's 60 watt tube combo, forgot the name of that, but the point is the loudness of amps vary alot, mostly as a result of the wattage being meassured rms/before breakup point, so that pretty much accounts for the marshall being a bit louder than the doublepowered fender.

What amp/amps are you considering?
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla