i am about to start playing bass, are there any essential things i should learn.
like famous basslines.
down on the corner- Creedence Clearwater Revival

not really essential, but super catchy

also maybe, fire- jimi hendrix

and almost forgot one (just edited this in) another one bites the dust-queen
Last edited by PhillyHendrix at Dec 3, 2008,
nope. though if you can play the Song A Portrait Of Tracy perfectly, you may be considered very skilled.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
First off--take a look at the FAQ. There's a tonne of useful information there when you are just starting out.

Rather than learning songs, I'd be building on basics. Either get a teacher or get a good book (Hal Leonard Bass method) or instructional DVD.
exactly what anarkee said. start with technique. when you're done with that, learn every genre possible. there are at least 30x more guitarists than bassists. there will always be a need for us. the more styles you know, the more offers you will get to join bands.
that being said, jam as much as possible, playing with others is a major motivator as well as learning point.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Here's how you should approach practicing...

1.) Start out playing this, alternating your middle and index finger on you're right hand(assuming your right handed)

E---0--0--0--0--1--1--1--1--3--3--3--3--1--1--1--1
I M I M I M I M I M I M I M I M

Than move to the A string, then the D string, then the G string. Count a steady beat as you play...1--2--3--4--1--2--3--4--and so on. Your left index finger should be used for the 1's, and your left ring finger for the 3's.

2.) Search the threads for more finger excersizes like this. This one should be pretty easy, so play it so until it is perfect. Than move to something harder. Always do a few excersizes before you play. Trust me.

3.) Now that you're warmed up, try to learn an easy song. I suggest things by Green Day or other punk bands. Maybe some Tom Petty or CCR. Float on by Modest Mouse is a great beginner song. A lot of these songs are really easy, but try to learn them and play them perfectly. Only then can you move on to harder/more complex songs.

4.) Learn your basic scales:

Major Pattern

G---------------------------2--4--5
D-----------------2--4--5
A-------2--3--5--
E-3--5

Minor Pattern

G---------------------------------3--5
D-----------------------3--5--6
A------------3--5--6-
E--3--5--6

Chromatic Pattern

G--
D--
A--
E--3--5--7--8--10--12--13--15

These happen to be "rooted" on "G", or "3". This is not important now, but will be later so keep it in mind.

4.) Buy "Bass Guitar For Dummies". Seriously. It is the best book I have ever found on beginning bass guitar. I still use it to refresh every month or so, and about halfway through the book it gets into some difficult stuff. Very sweet.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Quote by chopps00
Minor Pattern

G---------------------------------3--5
D-----------------------3--5--6
A------------3--5--6-
E--3--5--6

Are you sure that's right? I'm thinking there's a flatted 6th (6th fret of the A string) which should be either the 7th fret of the A string or the 2nd fret of the G string.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
G------------------------------------------5--7--8--10--12
D-----------------------3--5--7--8-----
A------------3--5--6-
E--3--5--6

im pretty sure thats it
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Man, I really have to learn the modes down proper. I don't like this 5 notes per string business. For a bass player whose going to play over power chords and standard major/minor chords, what modes should I focus on? I have the pentatonic minor 'modes' down pat on the fingerboard, but what should I do next? Natural minor? Melodic or harmonic minor? What would make sense for a heavy rock band?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Natural minor is really the only minor you need for rock. Maybe harmonic if you're going for an exotic/middle eastern vibe
If you know how to play major and natural minor for any given key, and the arpeggios, I don't really see what else one could need unless you're in a more harmonically complex setting than most rock bands.
For Jazz yes, you need to have your modes down pat and then some, along with your triads and chord theory.

But I never think that learning them as a rock bassist is a bad idea, because there are some forays into other scales in surprising places in rock. You can probably get by nicely for your entire life with the Ionian (Major), Mixolydian and Aeolian. But there are a few rock and R & B tunes out there in Dorian (Born to be Wild comes to mind) and Phrygian comes up on occasion ( Jefferson Airplane had a few songs in Phrygian modes).